Author Topic: Superstructure burble  (Read 3649 times)

GOONIE

Superstructure burble
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:07:38 pm »
I wanted to see if there is a way to add a simulated "burble" effect when doing carrier landings. I think this can be done using FSX advanced weather feature where you would add a small wind layer right above the height of the carrier deck to about a height +50 feet. This small sliced layer would have turbulence, change in wind direction, and drop in wind speed.

What do you think? What would be the best altitude to create the burble effect wind slice? See attached picture to see what I am talking about.

Looking for ideas and thoughts, thanks.

-GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: Superstructure burble
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:51:29 pm »
'Goonie' from my experience a few years ago now - testing the first iterations of 'formerFSXnpNavyPilotNowPaddles' FCLP missions - we had a lot of difficulties synchronising the weather effects or having any weather effects to be consistent from one use to another - even in the same FCLP session. At that time my method was to have strong winds down the FCLP runway with no turbulence/wind shear whatsoever, at any height at the airfield; or in the vicinity; or even in any area in the sim. Did not make a scrap of difference to many wx inconsistencies that varied willynilly. Winds would change at circuit height (direction and speed) and even during the approach. Even now with a new computer that can handle all FSX requirements in the FCLP missions the aircraft will experience a frustrating millisecond - but noticeable pause - right 'at the ramp' for whatever reason I cannot fathom - nor get rid of the cause. One of those things in FSX I guess. YMMV.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Superstructure burble
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:27:34 am »
Guys,
I think a burble effect could be modeled in FSX using a thermal. But, according to SDK, a thermal can be created only at a specific location, which means it can't be attached to a [moving] AI ship. Perhaps the only viable solution would be 'moving' the effect accordingly to the ship's move. However, SDK provides only two calls to control it - create and remove a thermal. So, it can't be actually moved, but only first removed and then created again at a new location, following the ship's evolutions. A SimConnect client, like vLSO or AICarriers, is required to maintain the thermal position relative to the ship's stern. That's it  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!