Author Topic: Existing airports dx10 upgrade?  (Read 5324 times)

Hightower

Existing airports dx10 upgrade?
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:45:26 am »
Forgive me if this is repeated, but I did search, and there was references a few years ago...

The existing older airports that are not dx10 compatible, are there any plans to upgrade them to be dx10? Im not asking for a new airport upgrade, just that things work while running in dx10. I have the shaders fixes in place as per avsim, so by day it works fine, but dawn, dusk, and night have problems.

Im far from being a programmer or even understanding it, but my I read that it is just a matter of adjusting the shaders textures. Perhaps its a big job im not sure, but more and more people are switching to dx10 now that the fixes are available.

I have KORD which misses alot of stuff. LAX is pretty good, and YVR is outstanding.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Existing airports dx10 upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:00:03 am »
Im far from being a programmer or even understanding it, but my I read that it is just a matter of adjusting the shaders textures.

No, it's not.

If it was so easy, you would see way more airports compatible with DX10, while our recent ones (KDFW, KLAX, CYVR, plus JFK) are amongst the few. For airports that were made using FS8 code, which means LSZH, LSGG, KORD, KLAS and all Hawaii airports, it basically means reworking most of the ground polygons.

This means we'll have to undertake this one step of a time, while doing the airport remakes that we'll do it over the years, to keep them current with the airport current status.

Right now, we are updating JFK that, incidentally, didn't need a DX10 update to begin with, but had to be updated anyway, I guess the next likely candidate for an upgrade might be KLAS, so we'll surely take time to make it DX10 compatible too.

We are strong advocates of DX10, but these things takes time, eventually everything will be DX10 (and DX11, for P3D 2.0) compatible.

Hightower

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:26 am »
Thanks for the reply and explanation

forostar

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
FS DreamTeam - I just want to echo how much all DX10 users appreciate your efforts so far! A big thankyou, particularly for the mere fact that you actually recognise that there is an appetite for the upgrades - unlike some other major 3rd party developers who shall remain nameless  ;D

For those of us with slightly more humble systems, the ability to use a fully-functional DX10 airport at night and reap the performance benefit, can be the difference between total immersion (as at JFK) or frankly, what in DX9 is basically a slide-show at 10fps.

Really appreciate it guys. Good work!

Brian S

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:12:50 am »
Thanks for the DX10 update!   KLAS would be great in DX10 and with new terminal.

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »
Would an installtion of DX10 wreck DX9 airports, or just work alongside DX9?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 12:56:07 pm »
Would an installtion of DX10 wreck DX9 airports, or just work alongside DX9?

Patching FSX with the DX10 fixes will not create problems to DX9 airports, as long as FSX is running in DX9 mode. In fact, after the fixes, switching to DX9 is only required to fly at night on a DX9-only airport. At day, you can keep DX10 on most of the time.

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:02:09 pm »
Hi Umberto,
If PMDG propose using DX10 for their B777, then this may upset DX9 airports?
And how do I switch from one DX to the other in FSX?
Cheers, R
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:04:10 pm by mcdonar »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
If PMDG propose using DX10 for their B777

WE are proposing it already and, it would be nice if our suggestion to use DX10 to save some memory would be remembered in the future...

then this may upset DX9 airports?

I believe my previous reply answered that.

And how do I switch from one DX to the other in FSX?

You can switch with the regular option in FSX, but it will require a restart.

I'd say the procedure that makes most sense, is to decide what to use before starting a flight, depending by your departure/arrival airports are, and your time of arrival. If you land or depart at a DX9-only airport in DX10 at day, there aren't usually many issues, provided you installed the DX10 community fixes.