Author Topic: Umberto, do you use road traffic?  (Read 4618 times)

Hnla

Umberto, do you use road traffic?
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:19 am »
Umberto, I am trying to analyze different people's settings when it comes to Road Traffic, and weather it has an a effect on frame rate loss, and OOM's.

So far, I have had about 50-50. Jim (firehawk44), over at Avsim, says he has traffic at 100%, and he experiences no frame loss. As well as many others!

From your screenshots for your products, I see you have road traffic enabled. Is this just to look nice, or do you have it enabled in your sim for real? If you do, what is it at, and do you experience frame loss?

My assumption would be the dose makes the poison. An area where highways are filled up, I would imagine this takes frames. On my system it does at-least.

I am curious to know about yours, Umberto, or anyone else who experiments with this!

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Umberto, do you use road traffic?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:39:49 am »
My own settings really are not very useful to discuss, because I keep changing them depending what I'm doing. I value fps above everything else, so my own preference of settings (IF I wanted to just *use* FSX like an user, which is something I don't do very often) it's usually much lower than what most of users have, since my system is optimized for development, not flying, (it's an MacPro 8 core Xeon with 2.66 mhz clock, so it's not very fast for FSX, but it's able to keep many programs open at the same time without much slowdown). So, I usually have most of the traffic turned entirely down, and I turn on AI traffic only for testing.

In any case, road traffic changes a lot depending on the area, because its density changes both depending on the kind of road (highways are much denser) and also the population density in that area, which means any comparison should be made in the same place and even using the same installed sceneries, because a scenery can change the road layout and this will affect the road traffic density too.

Yes, as with any other setting with a large variation in objects density, the road traffic has an impact, but it doesn't seem as bad as other settings, like AI Traffic or Autogen but again, this is changing depending on the area/scenery used, because on an airport with 10 parking stands in the middle of the desert, you can use 100% AI Traffic and Autogen to the maximum and it won't affect fps at all, while a large airport with 150 parking stands close to a dense city, will bring any system down to its knees with the same setting.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »
I run traffic approximately 15%... puts enough on the roadways to look realistic without too much frame loss.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »
(IF I wanted to just *use* FSX like an user, which is something I don't do very often) it's usually much lower than what most of users have, since my system is optimized for development, not flying

What? So your sliders would be *lower* than everyone else even if you were flying like an "FSX user"?

without too much frame loss.

Will you do me a flavor?

Load up road traffic at 15%, and go to KMSP. Go to top-down view, and report your FPS. Than do the same with No traffic, and traffic at 100%?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:38:23 pm by Boone »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
What? So your sliders would be *lower* than everyone else even if you were flying like an "FSX user"?

Obviously yes, since I AM the user in this case, so I FLY as I please.

Which is of course VERY different than "testing our products LIKE AN FSX USER WOULD DO", in this case I would use a vast range of different settings and conditions.

Load up road traffic at 15%, and go to KMSP. Go to top-down view, and report your FPS. Than do the same with No traffic, and traffic at 100%?

Wouldn't help much, if you don't know my other settings...but I can do it, no problem.

Hnla

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40:32 pm »
Obviously yes, since I AM the user in this case, so I FLY as I please.

Which is of course VERY different than "testing our products LIKE AN FSX USER WOULD DO", in this case I would use a vast range of different settings and conditions.

It was a question because I was confused that first you said your settings were Lower than everyone else because you use FSX "like a user would do", and than you said you use your system optimized for development.

Wouldn't help much, if you don't know my other settings

All I am curious about, is the highways *around KMSP*. I don't need to know what your other settings are because I am just going to take the difference of your FPS before the road traffic, and your FPS after.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:43:16 pm by Boone »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:43 am »
first you said your settings were Lower than everyone else because you use FSX "like a user would do", and than you said you use your system optimized for development.

No, I haven't said that, I've said "IF I wanted to just *use* FSX like an user", the *use* means I am the user, not that I would use it "as an FSX user would do", that's should be done when testing.

I don't need to know what your other settings are because I am just going to take the difference of your FPS before the road traffic, and your FPS after.

It's not exactly so simple, because settings are inter-affecting each other. Performances increase/decrease are not linear, there's an issue of resources taken, you might run very well up to a certain point, then they might just go down abruptly after you exhausted a certain resource, and this might happen or not depending on the other settings too. So, the difference you are asking for, would be relevant ONLY in the context of my settings, not necessarily as a general rule how much road traffic affects fps.

Hnla

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »
the *use* means I am the user

No, it doesn't. The "Use" certainly mean't the *way* you are using it. But since you have explained your "theory" several times, I now know what you mean.

Performances increase/decrease are not linear, there's an issue of resources taken

I'm AWARE of that. ALL I am looking to get info from, is the difference of FPS. (If any).

I really don't care about your other settings. (WOuld be helpful), but all I am looking for is:

-With traffic: 62 Fps

-Without traffic: 72 fps.

Of coarse, that's an example.