Author Topic: Help with textures please  (Read 6182 times)

rockliffe

Help with textures please
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »
Hi guys, this is an odd one. For some reason my performance seems to have dropped at KLAX and also the textures appear very fuzzy and lo-res. Unsure whether they have always been like this but I suspect not. Also, when I flew in the rain, there appears to be some odd tiling effect going on. I think the pics are self explanatory and would welcome some advice. Cheers... BTW: I have tried reinstalling KLAX but with exactly the same results...

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/02/27/OuD6C.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/02/27/yZfxE.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:16:02 am by virtuali »

Hnla

Re: Help with textures please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:02 am »
When it comes to the FPS loss, posting your system specs, and your FSX settings (sliders) would be very helpful.

And be sure to check for duplicate AFCAD using FSX Airport Scanner here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13263
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:13:50 am by Boone »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:42 am »
You have two different problems at once: overall lower resolution, which is probably because you turned off HD Textures in the Addon Manager, and missing pieces of ground.

The missing pieces of ground are usually caused by problem with video drivers and/or video memory corruption and/or wrong video settings, try all the following:

- First try to reset your video driver settings to default. Be sure you don't use "Transparency Antialiasing" (or "Adaptive Anti-aliasing" ).

- If that doesn't work, try to update your video driver too.

- If that doesn't work, try to reset your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file, to have FSX rebuild a new one with default settings

- Be sure you apply the HIGHMEMFIX tweak to the FSX.CFG, you can enabled it with the Addon Manager too.

rockliffe

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:41 am »
Thanks for the link Boone....
Umberto, I will try a rebuild of my cfg and see how I get on... thanks. BTW, If I change the resolution for KLAX to 2048 in the addon manager, can I assume that it only affects the FSDFT KLAX and no other scenery FSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:53 am »
BTW, If I change the resolution for KLAX to 2048 in the addon manager, can I assume that it only affects the FSDFT KLAX and no other scenery FSX?

It affects anything that uses textures larger than 1024x1024, which is the normal FSX default.

Some airplanes have liveries in 4096x4096 size and a few sceneries (like our own CYVR and Flightbeam's KPHX) have textures larger than 1024x1024 so, all of them will be affected, meaning if you don't set HD textures you'll seem then more blurred than they are supposed to be.

If a product uses 1024x1024 texture, that setting won't have any effect on it.

rockliffe

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:45:32 am »
Hmmm (?) but I have always flown and continue to fly with all FSX textures at 1024x1024 the NGX, REX themes, all aircraft liveries, other airports... everything. I don't wish to fly with any higher settings for performance reasons.... are you saying that if that is my choice, then I have to accept poor textures at KLAX?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:09:41 pm by rockliffe »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »
Hmmm (?) but I have always flown and continue to fly with all FSX textures at 1024x1024 the NGX, REX themes, all aircraft liveries, other airports... everything. I don't wish to fly with any higher settings for performance reasons....

As I've said, if a product you use doesn't use HD textures textures, which is the vast majority of any products out there, even if you set 4096x4096 textures, it won't change *anything*, the normal res textures will still be used, if that's the only resolution that product has.

This option only sets the maximum allowed, it won't "scale" something that was designed at 1024x1024 to higher resolutions.

Not only that, even if the product you use HAS the option to use HD textures, there's usually an option to install them. For example, CYVR installer will ask if you want to install HD textures so, even if it's a product designed to have HD textures, they must be installed AND the option must be enabled, before they are being used.

are you saying that if that is my choice, then I have to accept poor textures at KLAX?

As explained many times already, KLAX doesn't use 4096x4096 textures to get ultra resolution. It uses FEW 4096x4096 textures INSTEAD of MANY 1024x1024 texture so, the overall memory used and the visual resolution it's the same, but it renders faster compared if it used many 1024x1024s, which is what sceneries normally use.

This means, if you set your resolution to less than 4096x4096, you are *lowering* the resolution at KLAX compared to how it has been designed.

Of course, fact that you can set that option at any time, without having to restart FSX, makes the whole argument pointless.

If you:

- HAVE other products that use 4096x4096 texture

- HAVE installed their HD textures

- those products DO NOT offer the option to install a lower resolution version of their textures ( OR you don't want to reinstall them with lower resolution textures even if such option exists)

- you don't want to use the HD resolution for performances reasons BUT don't want to see KLAX blurred.

Then the only solution is to turn on HD textures at KLAX, then turn them off elsewhere.

Since you can do that without restarting FSX, because the Addon Manager (opposite to other cumbersome FSX.CFG tweakers and utilities) doesn't "just" tweak the FSX.CFG but it ALSO update the value in memory immediately, without requiring a restart, you can do that with minimal effort.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:42:02 pm by virtuali »

rockliffe

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:10 pm »
Ah OK, sorry to be dim, I understand... thanks for taking the time to explain, cheers.