Author Topic: FSX wont start  (Read 11663 times)

skimmer

FSX wont start
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:06 pm »
I just dwnlded and installed 9 Microsoft updates and was told to restart comp to finish install.Thing is the comp never started up by itself like it should and always has.Anyway now that I deleted the 9 files,restarted,computer restore and a restart repair I cannot get FSX to run.I will get the welcome screen but the comp will say fatal error and FSX welcome just closes.I have deleted all in the log file as well. All my other programs start up and run fine @ REX.

I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Any advice please.
                                                                                                            Thank you
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:37:16 pm by skimmer »

Hnla

Re: FSX wont start
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:24:53 am »
A fatal error at start almost always means there is a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime problem.

Re-download you 2005 Re-distrabutables here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

Also try-

Running FSX as an Administrator
Uninstall and re-install Sp1, and Sp2

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:36:07 am »
Thanks Brittney,I did the 2005 C++with no success. But what about the C++2008 and C++ 2010 ones? I just have to find a way other than uninstall.I have a lot of payware on this and some freeware.It would take 5 weeks or more to reinstall. If its something that is corrupted other than FSX a reinstall would leave me with the same problem.

I just found out if I right click on the FSX icon and right click on the Microsoft Flight Simulator title I do not have the properties title listed.

Thank you

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:04:10 am »
But what about the C++2008 and C++ 2010 ones?

FSX runs off of the 2005 libraries, but you can try the 2008 as well. Some addons may require the 2008 version.

I just found out if I right click on the FSX icon and right click on the Microsoft Flight Simulator title I do not have the properties title listed.

Did you run FSX as Administrator, like I said before ?

Something could be corrupt with your installation, and a re-install may be your only option. OR, you could remove all addons one by one to see if it's a problem ?

Also, you can try posting your Crash report by looking into the even viewer. (Start > Right Click on Computer and Select "Manage"), however, it's almost always a Microsoft Visual C++ error. (MSVCR)

Hnla

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:53 am »
Also try removing your FSX.cfg, so FSX can build a new one.

skimmer

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:55 am »
#1. I have 5 different 2005 C++.Does that seem right?
#2. I have been reading on the Microsoft C++ download site but I cant understand if I should uninstall each one first then install new one.Do you know?
#3. FSX does run as Administrator.
#4. FSX.cfg found in, C-users- name-appdata-roaming -microsoft-fsx. Correct? There are two of them.One says fsx with CFG under the Type row.The other says fsx.CFG with text file under the Type row.Which one do I delete ,or do I delete both?
                                                                                                       Thank you Boone

Hnla

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:42:44 am »
I have 5 different 2005 C++.Does that seem right?

As long as you have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistrabutable", and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistrabutable (x64), (or depending on your bit), than you are ok. Make sure you have re-installed the correct version.

I have been reading on the Microsoft C++ download site but I cant understand if I should uninstall each one first then install new one.Do you know?

You shouldn't need to "Uninstall" each one, installing the version again does the same thing.

FSX.cfg found in, C-users- name-appdata-roaming -microsoft-fsx. Correct?

Correct.

There are two of them.One says fsx with CFG under the Type row.The other says fsx.CFG with text file under the Type row.Which one do I delete ,or do I delete both?

One should just be "fsx.CFG", and one should be "fsx.CFG.txt".

Create a copy of "fsx.CFG" somewhere else, just in case you want to go back.

Than, delete "fsx.CFG". NOT "fsx.CFG.txt".

FSX automatically creates a new fresh one when you start up FSX. It should say "Completing Setup" or something to that sort.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:45:33 am by Boone »

skimmer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:09:10 am »
FSX automatically creates a new fresh one when you start up FSX. It should say "Completing Setup" or something to that sort.

Thats if I get it started. :)

Hnla

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:32:05 am »
Thats if I get it started. :)

Well, assuming you have:

1. Re-installed the *correct* version of the 2005 C++ runtimes
2. Ran FSX as "Administrator"
3. Created a new fsx.CFG

And if it still doesn't open, this clearly indicates that you have a bigger problem with your FSX installation.

You haven't really stated if you have FSX + Sp1 and Sp2, or Acceleration, but if you have FSX + Sp1 and Sp2, try removing them, and re-installing. This however sometimes creates problems with add ons.

Since you can't really "uninstall" Acceleration, you will have to completely remove FSX, and re-install. (which is the better option really). Refer to this guide here: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Hnla

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:48:32 am »
To add to the post above:

If you are at the point where all else have failed, and you are about to re-install, try this one last thing.

If you navigate to the location your main FSX folder, (NOT c/program files/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator x, but c/program files/microsoft games/) and right click on the FSX main folder, and select "properties", a dialog window will come up, with several tabs at the top.

One of those tabs saying "Previous Versions", it will list versions of your FSX folder that System Restore saved. Select the time *before* you updated  or did whatever you did that "caused" the error, and open it, and copy the contents into your current fsx installation.

In reality, what you are doing is a system restore of your FSX folder.

skimmer

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »
Okay Boone,I have the FSX/Accelation.I have come to the point of uninstall so I am currently doing the FSX restore.I do thank you for this help.

skimmer

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:26 pm »
Boone I had to do uninstall. :'( :'( >:( :)
I do have a ? though.Before I did the FSX restore and the uninstall I deleted all the Microsoft Visual C++2005 files.I could only find oneC++ file  to replace those.Everytime I thought I had another it either the same or not compatable.So now I only have one on hard.it reads- Microsoft Visual C++2005 Redistributable (x64).version 8.0.56336.
I have been all over the Microsoft sites looking.Do you have any advice?
Im thinking when I do the install of FSX/Acc it will have the files in it  ???

Thank you

Hnla

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:32:35 pm »
You shouldn't ever remove or change the visual C++ files manually. If you really have *properly* re-installed FSX, than the FSX installer will automatically install the correct packages.

skimmer

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:42:45 pm »
Then,Oh boy am I learning the hard way.I thought one or more were corupted so I deleted them.When I start the install of FSX there will be the correct files on the cds and when I am done I will do a Windows update.

skimmer

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06:36 am »
Got FSX/Acc installed and it works fine.I just thought you would like to know.Boone I thank you very much for the time and effort you put into helping me out.

Now to begin the long long long long payware and freeware addons installs.

Thank you ;D : ;D