Author Topic: Help with a repaint  (Read 4313 times)

lizardmon

Help with a repaint
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:36:43 am »
Ok so I am trying to figure out how to do some repaints and I am having some problems. The first may or may not be with the logo itself but right now I'm fairly certain that is not the most pressing problem. I think my problem has to do the fallbacks. Right now I get a black staircase which according to the manual means that GSX can't find the textures. So can someone explain to me how the fallbacks work.

From what I took from reading the paint kit manual is that each fallback found in the cfg file of a texture folder pulls a different texture needed by the model from a different folder. I started by simply copying the cfg file from the fsdreamteam texture folder in the staircase_USER folder but that gives me the black staircase. Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or not understanding?

Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help with a repaint
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:03 am »
I started by simply copying the cfg file from the fsdreamteam texture folder in the staircase_USER folder but that gives me the black staircase. Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or not understanding?

If you are creating a new texture folder for your repaint, you have to copy the texture.cfg from the one of another USER folder for the SAME vehicle, not from a default GSX vehicle. And then, put your new .dds texture there.

lizardmon

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
OK so what I did exactly is:

1. Created a logo and named it GSX_Logo_4x1.dds
2. Created a new texture folder named texture.wwa in the  .../simobjects/Misc/FSDT_staircase_user folder.
3. I placed the new logo .dds file in that folder and copied the texture.cfg file from .../simobjects/Misc/FSDT_staircase_user/texture.FSDT
4. I modified the copied texture .cfg file to the following
[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.01
fallback.2=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.01
fallback.3=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.FSDT
fallback.4=..\..\FSDT_Staircase_USER\texture.WWA

5. I edited the sim.cfg file in the .../simobjects/Misc/FSDT_staircase_user folder to include the following
[fltsim.1]
title=WWA_Staircase_01_USER_FSDT
model=01
texture=WWA
couatl.icaoprefixes = KSEA
couatl.atc_parking_codes = WWA

The attached picture is a screen shot of the result. Please point out what I did wrong.

Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »
You don't have to modify the texture.cfg, just copy it from the FSDT_Staircase_USER\texture.FSDT folder.

I did exactly the same steps as you did, and it works, this is my texture.cfg in the texture.WWA folder, which contains the GSX_Logo_4x1.dds

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.01
fallback.2=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.01
fallback.3=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.FSDT

And this is the sim.cfg for the FSDT_Staircase_USER

[fltsim.0]
title=FSDT_Staircase_01_USER_FSDT
model=01
texture=FSDT
couatl.icaoprefixes = LI

[fltsim.1]
title=FSDT_Staircase_01_USER_WWA
model=01
texture=WWA
couatl.icaoprefixes = KSEA

[General]
category=GroundVehicle

[contact_points]
wheel_radius=1.448
static_pitch=0.0            //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
static_cg_height=-100.0      //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
max_speed_mph = 5
acceleration_constants = 0.3, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration
deceleration_constants = 0.2, 0.4     //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max G acceleration

[Couatl]
type = Staircase
cruise_speed = 2   // meters/sec
acceleration = 0.2
front_wheels = 2.2
rear_wheels = 1.65
condition = %(exitAlt)f >= 2.606
animated = 1
anim_lift = 0 100 10
interpIntervals = 0,0.5,1
extension = 3.675,5.809,7.942
height = 2.606,3.827,5.049
extensionAdjust = 0
heightAdjust = 0
// safedistance = 0.7 // distance from aircraft in meters before raising stairs

lizardmon

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:38:09 pm »
Ok I deleted the folder and started from scratch and made it work...almost. Why is the logo upside down and reversed? Do I need to flip the original logo?

lizardmon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:18:52 am »
So I flipped the original logo and now its appearing right side up. I find it strange that this a a required step. Is there a reason for this?

I also went through and added the logo to appropriate service vehicles and got them to appear successfully. They load when I call for deboarding but then GSX appears to crash before the vehicles move into position. After this I can't restart couatl or access the GSX menus via the Add-ons drop down. Any ideas what is happening?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:38:36 am »
So I flipped the original logo and now its appearing right side up. I find it strange that this a a required step. Is there a reason for this?

It's not required if you generate the .DDS with the Imagetool program from Microsoft, check you have the most current version (the one coming from the FSX SP2 SDK), it might be required if you create the .DDS with other utilities. Note that you should both Add Mipmaps and change the file format to DXT1 before saving.

then GSX appears to crash before the vehicles move into position. After this I can't restart couatl or access the GSX menus via the Add-ons drop down. Any ideas what is happening?

First, be sure you use the latest version of the PaintKit too, otherwise the sim.cfg in the USER folders might not be current with the current version of GSX. If this doesn't fix it, check the Couatl.err file, as the error dialog says.