Author Topic: Suggestion for vLSO update  (Read 6258 times)

Mickey_Techy

Suggestion for vLSO update
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »
Hi FSXNP,

I see that another update to the vLSO is on the cards.

I was wondering, if you could add some sorta "vLSO logbook reader" in the forthcoming updates to your software.

Few of us use screen shots of vLSO logbook to record and monitor carrier qualifications status of other pilots. In a recent incident another virtual friend, with better photoshopping skills than piloting skills submitted a screen shot of six OK-3 Underlined traps, while gladly admitting how our system to use such a method to 'check' pilots could easily be beaten.

vLSO is a great program to monitor proficiency of a virtual naval aviator and is also useful as a debrief tool. I was hoping that you could mod it a little to be able to provide following value additions:-

1.   An option to 'export' a part of the log book (for a certain date, for example) in a custom format which cannot be read (or edited) by usual text editors.
2.   A vLSO logbook reader software (bundled with original vLSO software), which would be able to read the log file generated in para 1 above.

Do you think this is possible?

If yes, would you like include something like this in your next (or subsequent) release.

Happy landings,

Mickey

Orion

Re: Suggestion for vLSO update
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:55 pm »
You could just swap your Logbook.dat files and launch vLSO, I think.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:02:27 am »
:)

Yes sir, that we could, and that we do, till a better method is available.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:57 am »
Mickey_Techy,
I think that a PDF format would allow people to share their results, making sure those records were not tampered with.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
PDFs can be manipulated - if they are unsecured - by Adobe Acrobat. I use Acrobat all day every day to do exactly that - in a good way.  ;D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
Mickey_Techy,
I think that a PDF format would allow people to share their results, making sure those records were not tampered with.

Till a more permanent solution is available, a PDF could also work.

Like spaz said in his post, it's easy to manipulate a PDF also, but it's better than any other option currently available.

Thank you for considering it.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »
Mickey_Techy,

Yes, it is possible.
Exchanging whole logbooks, as Orion proposed, is a quick workaround. However, no one is interesting in browsing dozens of someone else's records, so to have the ability to export only those with valuable results like some Ok3's in a row  ::)  would be nice.
Well, down to your questions/proposals:

1. It's ok to export a part of the logbook (selected records or a given date range) in the same logbook's format and share it with your friends.

2. No additional reader required, as vLSO already can read its own format. All I need to add is an option to load someone else's logbook (or an exported part of it).

At the very beginning of this project I've spent a lot of time evaluating suitability of various logbook data formats, and no viable solutions other than a binary format were found. This binary logbook format is kind of proprietory, or 'closed', format which is specific to this program. Due to its binary nature it is very uneasy to modify and tweak or fake one's stats. I don't mean it's impossible, I mean it's quite difficult, to say the least.  ;) Thus, anyone claiming he's a super-duper-hooker would have to present to the community his RAW logbook data to prove that.  8)
Should I think about some additional 'anti-cheating countermeasures'?

However, the other side of this binary nature is versions incompatibility, because some data being added, some data being removed from the data structure. For example, the upcoming 0.7 beta will not be compatible with any previous versions....
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »
Mickey_Techy,

Yes, it is possible.
Exchanging whole logbooks, as Orion proposed, is a quick workaround. However, no one is interesting in browsing dozens of someone else's records, so to have the ability to export only those with valuable results like some Ok3's in a row  ::)  would be nice.
Well, down to your questions/proposals:

1. It's ok to export a part of the logbook (selected records or a given date range) in the same logbook's format and share it with your friends.

2. No additional reader required, as vLSO already can read its own format. All I need to add is an option to load someone else's logbook (or an exported part of it).

At the very beginning of this project I've spent a lot of time evaluating suitability of various logbook data formats, and no viable solutions other than a binary format were found. This binary logbook format is kind of proprietory, or 'closed', format which is specific to this program. Due to its binary nature it is very uneasy to modify and tweak or fake one's stats. I don't mean it's impossible, I mean it's quite difficult, to say the least.  ;) Thus, anyone claiming he's a super-duper-hooker would have to present to the community his RAW logbook data to prove that.  8)
Should I think about some additional 'anti-cheating countermeasures'?

However, the other side of this binary nature is versions incompatibility, because some data being added, some data being removed from the data structure. For example, the upcoming 0.7 beta will not be compatible with any previous versions....

FSXNP,

I think, you have pretty much encapsulated everything I had originally suggested.

With the exported log book also in the binary format, it's pretty much the most optimal solution. I can't think of any other anti cheating measure at this moment.

Thank you very much for considering to include this feature. I can assure you, it will significantly add to the functionality of an already superior product.

JamesChams

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:08:13 pm »
Fsxnavypilot,
Didn't get back to you earlier about this, but since BETA 0.6.4 the parent app window size fix issue was resolved for those of us using higher DPI.  However, there, are still text boxes and buttons that are locked into position on the latest app (BETA 0.6.5) that don't resize with the parent window correctly.  I remember using VB & Delphi years ago where the compiler had example code for this but I'm sure that that's out of date and may not even be useful in the compiler you are using, but it is a possibility albeit not necessary a simple one.  If, however, you do it, it would make some of us with large screens really really grateful. :-*

PS:  All else seems to work well, but I wondered if you might consider an XML editing feature for the .ini file to make this step "idiot-proof" for the user to simply use sliders and an API call to openFolder to select an Aircraft from the SimObjects directory and let the vLSO app put all the necessaries for additional aircraft additions to be used as usable aircraft by vLSO.  A lot of work, I know, but perhaps the next useful step.

Thanks for listening. :)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams