Author Topic: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW  (Read 101417 times)

skwaL

Re: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »
Well I have no applications running. In Flightsim I have ORBX and UTX enabled in the area but still its weird why it crashes. I've lowered things to the lowest. I will try rebuilding my VM today and will let you know.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
Well I have no applications running

Running applications don't have the slightest effect on FSX OOMs. The only thing that cause OOM in FSX are too many FSX addons running at the same time.

.In Flightsim I have ORBX and UTX enabled in the area but still its weird why it crashes. I've lowered things to the lowest. I will try rebuilding my VM today and will let you know.

You haven't said which airplane you use, I bet it's the PMDG and, if CYVR is installed with 1024 textures, as you said, it takes about HALF size of what the PMDG takes so, your 3GB must have been taken by something, but surely not CYVR, which is about 400MB in total, at 1024 size.

skwaL

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »
No I was actually using Wilco E-Jets Embraer 175.

I I kind of don't want to turn off Orb and UTX.

keino333

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »
I also have OOM messages when landing in UK2000s Heathrow using ORBX UK... It's pretty impossible for me to fly into these areas!

With regards to Heathrow; do you have other UK2000 London airports active? If so try disabling all except to the one your flying into.

I have the same issue.  Be sure to moved autogen to "Normal".  Helped tremendously in most cases. (I have all of UK2000 major airports plus EGLC).  I have to bite the bullet when flying to CYVR as well in losing some of this eye candy just to enjoy an uninterrupted landing.  Depending on the Destination or and Departure Scenery my slider varies between Normal and Dense and sometimes very Dense.   

keino333

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »
No I was actually using Wilco E-Jets Embraer 175.

I I kind of don't want to turn off Orb and UTX.

Wilco Jets hurts in Fs9.  I see about the same in FSX.  Be sure not to sit at the Departing terminal too long in these buckets.  If flying to CYVR or almost any detail airport with sliders high or even modest will cause the dreaded Oom issue

skwaL

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 03:41:56 pm »
Im wondering just out of interest, I know a lot of people fly FSX ... why aren't there that many reports on OOMs...

keino333

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »
Im wondering just out of interest, I know a lot of people fly FSX ... why aren't there that many reports on OOMs...

There are in fact quite a number of disappointed campers. If you look around the forums; where in some cases views are extraordinarily high in comparison to the actual replies, though hard to accurately compute, it's still a very busy and anticipated subject.

Here is another thought:
 FSX is now what ....7 yrs of age and prior to the time I made the jump (1 year to date) most aired on the forums that FSX was used for low and slow (VFR) while FS9 handled the heavies (IFR), (A practice that I believe it still prevalent today).

I think many people have come to terms with the FSX limitations and only a small few of us really enjoy all the bells and whistles of the platform, whilst others, possibly the majority, just embark upon the shear joy flying.

I can add to that in that with addons such as GEX and UTX and soon Orbx world most will be content with these packages and the advanced aircraft(s).  As such, flying into the default scenery can be exhilarating especially when you can max the sliders.

Notwithstanding; in cases like mine, the work that these guys produce and others takes you to that edge of reality in that giving you the essence of immersion. I privilege that I very much appreciate from these folks and give them much acclaim for their talents and commitments
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:07:30 pm by keino333 »

skwaL

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
I read up a lot regarding these OOM and people discuss, and I agree  with them, that the FSX has reached the limit it can handle. A good example was give as "trying to jam 6 people inside a car that takes 5, at some point something will happen"

Only question for me is why, why do developers develop such demanding addons when they know that 90% of people will have trouble using them. And please understand I am not pointing the finder to FSDT, they have done an amazing job with optimizations. But aircraft addon manufactures as well as ORBX and UTX couple have done possibly better.

I mostly 99% of the time fly Wilco E-Jets and people agree that Jet takes up a lot of Virtual space.

Kilstorm

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »
Well CYVR got me to give DX10 a more serious look and I am glad that I did.  I made this video to show a few online friends how FSX is working with DX10 to show its smoothiness and benefits. I used KSFF and CYVR Day and night as my show pieces.  These two represent the more recent and heavy on the computer areas to kind of stress test it.  While the a/c is the default Bell and I had weather clear, I still dont get a performance hit when using real weather or the more advanced a/c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOFt89W4KN0&feature=youtu.be

marvic

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »
Only question for me is why, why do developers develop such demanding addons when they know that 90% of people will have trouble using them.
Because there is a demand for it. Lets get real here, there is a quote from an E-Jets pilots "I kind of don't want to turn off Orb and UTX." There has to be some give and take on everyone's part. Umberto has met the OOM pilots more than half way with 1.1, it sure allowed me to use the HIGH resource CoolSky DC-9.  Having the sliders all the right and refusing to budge is just unrealistic and without compromise.......OOM's. Take it or leave it. It's your choice.
Cheers, Marvic.

skwaL

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:36 pm »
Well, I can only take it haha. I already bough vancouver and I used to fly there a lot. I just have to find the optimum point. Gonna do few short hops from kelowna and see whats what.

tf51d

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2013, 02:43:23 pm »
One thing that works for me is to only load the addon DLL's you are actually using. Addon's with internal DLL's declare them in the DLL.xml file. (many aircraft addons, including PMDG) These will normally load at startup whether you are using them or not, eating up precious VAS. To avoid this, add the following line to each section in the dll.xml file that is optional. Do not add it to addon dll's you use on all flights. If the line is already there, but set to False, change it to True.

<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

Now when you startup FSX it will ask you for each addon you want to load. Select yes only to the ones you are using for the flight you are on. (There's no need loading Wilco's or CS's DLL's when you are flying the NGX) It's a little inconvenient, but it will give FSX some more breathing room to work with. 

tod

« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2013, 10:57:53 pm »
One important feature in FSX compared to various versions is that it allows you to setup "Slider profiles" to suit different situations. I believe because of this feature I have not experienced the dreaded OOM or CTD. If you're wondering what I'm talking about its under Options -> Settings -> Load & Save. If you have never saved any slider profiles, obviously you have nothing to load. So first step is to create slider profiles. Eg, move all sliders to the right. Then go to Options -> Settings -> Save your "profile". Then redo your sliders to medium eg, Autogen = dense, Scenery Complexity = normal, etc, then Save your sliders again with a different name. You can save as many profiles are you wish. You can load these saved profiles anytime during flight or on the ground. I personally select my less intense profile when I'm about to turn finals to a highly complex airport, high AIs, and/or bad weather or about to depart from one. I have even incorporated this step to my landing and takeoff checklists so I don't forget to cross check my slider profiles in preparation for landing or takeoff.

With so many resource intense aircrafts/sceneries out there and more coming, I cannot really see any other way to optimize my FSX experience. Definitely, keeping all sliders to the right and expect everything to work because it is payware is a sure recipe to eventually kill my system.
Asus P8P67 EVO Mobo B3 Rev
Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHZ OC @ 4.6GHZ
2 x 2GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHZ Ripjaws 6-8-6-24
Asus NVidia GTX 580 - 1538MB
Corsair Professional HX850W PSU
1 Kingston SSDNow 128GB
1TB Seagate HDD
37" SAMSUNG LCD
Windows 7 64 Home Premium
Saitek Pro Flight, Logitech Xtreme

aceridgey

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:47 am »

I am starting to feel like the default vancouver area [like seattle] is very poorly modelled in terms of performance.

HAs anyone worked out how to rid this area of the issues? I still get awful performance here

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:50 am »
I don't think anywhere else has such large variances of landclass, waterclass, complex coastlines, and mountainous terrain all in close proximity.