Author Topic: FSX black screen  (Read 8015 times)

balan22

FSX black screen
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum.
I just bought the GSX. The installation and registration went right. The only think that I can't do is this:
I've searched but I couldn't find that I have " UIAutomationCore.dll " in my FSX folder and yep it's working so I do not getting crashes after I ticked compatibility mode and Run as administrator at the fsx.exe. BUT I somewhere read that GSX won't work with these settings allowed, am I right? So I unticked them.
Before I put UIAutomationCore.dll I always got crashes so I can not live without it. But as I saw when I tried with compatibility mode and run as administrator the GSX did not work. So my question is: How can I solve this problem without getting crashes and how to do to be both useable ?
Before the installation of GSX the FSX worked normally but now when I click many times then I get black screen with sounds working.

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:21:40 pm by balan22 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX black screen
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »
None of your problems can't be related in any way to GSX.

The crashes with uiautomationcore.dll are a very well known problem in FSX, even without installing anything. However, they are not *that* frequent, they are usually caused by opening the FSX menus too much in a single session.

You can run FSX As Administrator, but our software won't work correctly if you enable the "compatibility" mode. There's no need to enable the compatibility mode to fix the uiautomationcore.dll crashes.

balan22

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »
I enabled the compatibility mode because I somewhere read that if you having crashes you have to enable it.
You could misunderstood me because, I had no problems before installing it. I know it's independent add-on, but something could be inside that because I've tried without and everything went right. So for me the UIAutomationCore.dll worked only when I did what I had wrote above ( compatibility mode + run as admin) Ohh and I forgot to write I have W7 64 bits
Any solution for it?

Anyway Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:36 pm »
As I've said, you shouldn't enable compatibility mode with none of our products, that's the only thing that causes problems. And, I can only repeat and confirm the uiautomationcore.dll issue it's a known FSX issues that doesn't have anything to do with any of our products, you can search all forums and you'll get confirmation of this.

boilerbill

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »
Umberto:

I've always wondered why the Compatibility Mode can't be used. Some aircraft may require it to run properly. For example, near the bottom of the Vista/Win7 FAQ page for the Level-D 767 (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista), the user is encouraged to try the XP SP2 Compatibility Mode. On my Vista 32-bit computer, the LD763 wouldn't work unless I used that setting. So I guess I wouldn't have been able to use GSX on that computer. Luckily, on my current Windows 7 64-bit computer, it's not needed. What makes it impossible for GSX to work if a Compatibility Mode is used for FSX?
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

balan22

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »
That's my question too?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »
I've always wondered why the Compatibility Mode can't be used.

Because it makes objects to appear only when get very close, or parts of objects disappearing, it's probably a side effect on video drivers. And it creates havoc with Windows folder location to product that ARE compliant with Windows 7, like all our own.

Some aircraft may require it to run properly. For example, near the bottom of the Vista/Win7 FAQ page for the Level-D 767 (http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista), the user is encouraged to try the XP SP2 Compatibility Mode

That suggestion is wrong. The issues with non Vista-compliant airplanes (without mentioning it's their developers that should make it compliant in the first place), is usually a permission issue. Those products wrongly try to *write* into the FSX folder that, under the Vista/Windows 7 security model is not allowed IF FSX is installed in the C:\Program Files folder.

This could be fixed in either of the following ways:

- the airplane developer should fix the gauges and NOT try to write in the the FSX folder, which is bad practice and, instead, using the proper folders under %APPDATA%. All our products are correctly doing this, that's why they can claim to be 100% Vista/Windows 7 compliant.

Since this first option might not be available, you can fix it from your own side in the following ways:

- By installing FSX into a folder outside C:\Program Files, where you regular user account has permission to write into, like C:\FSX

OR

- If you don't want to reinstall, you can just edit your FSX folder security settings, and ADD your own user account to get full control over it.

OR

- Run FSX As Administrator. That's why I've said the Administrator mode can be used, but the "Compatibility" mode not. However, this is a bit less safe than the previous folder permission change solution.

So, anyone telling you their product "requires" compatibility mode, is wrong, and it's a cheap way to "fix" the problem without having to deal with it, which of course would be fixing their code to write in the correct folders.

I have the Level-D installed, and it runs in FSX just fine WITHOUT any compatibility mode enabled. Of course, I have my FSX installed into C:\FSX (which is NOT required by OUR products anyway), which means I never have any problem with those non Vista-Windows7 compliant addons and I never had to turn on any compatibility mode whatsoever and never had to run FSX As Administrator too.

boilerbill

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
Thanks for the information. I was asking because I am a co-moderator for a website that deals with another group of aircraft, and we've had reports of success with the compatibility mode. I must add, however, that those reports are now at least 2 or 3 years old. It seems like the steps you listed, especially creating a separate root-level directory for FSX, were only introduced with Windows 7. Before that, XP and Vista users just allowed the FSX installer to select the default location in the Games directory because we didn't know any better. Hopefully, better practices in setting up and running FSX are leading to fewer problems.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium