Author Topic: reinstallation of GSX and KLAX  (Read 4860 times)

jhoman

reinstallation of GSX and KLAX
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »
I have a problem with the reinstallation of the 2 purchased products, at the FS ADDON i pressed the reinstall button and printed out my serial number for each product, it showes that both products are activated but neither one is installed, I tried several ways but to no avail, I assume I am missing a step somewhere.
Greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me, thank you for your reply

Jacobus Homan
jhoman@rogers.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: reinstallation of GSX and KLAX
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 01:22:10 am »
it showes that both products are activated but neither one is installed

Have you INSTALLED the products, using their own installer ? The "Reinstall" button doesn't reinstall anything for you, to reinstall a product you must run its proper installer. The meaning of "Reinstall" in that button, really means "A Wizard to help you reactivating your product after a system REINSTALL", but that wouldn't fit on the button...

The activation doesn't have any relationship with the installation, that's why the Addon Manager gives you two separate informations: if a product is Activated, which only means its Serial Number is active and registered on this PC (regardless if the product it's installed or not), and if a product is Installed, which means if it has been *found* on your hard-drive.

jhoman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »
Thank you sir for your fast reply, I have never reinstalled software and I do not know where to start, I checked the appropriate websites but nowhere any indication about reinstalling a bought product, both products were bought thru fsdreamteam and no indication of reinstallation is noticed.
Sorry for bothering you with this which might be a very simple procedure for the computer minded, which I am not.
Thanks again for any response
Jacobus Homan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:49:59 pm »
I checked the appropriate websites but nowhere any indication about reinstalling a bought product

There's a sticky post in the General section of this forum, aptly named "Reinstallation after system upgrade or crash, please READ!"
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=649.0

And of course, this is also covered in the installation guide, which all our web pages (for example, the GSX page) refers to:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx.html

Refer to the fsdt_install_guide.pdf document found under the fsdreamteam folder under the FS folder after the installation for more details.

The fsdt_install_guide.pdf covers reinstall starting from Page 8, discussing different scenarios, and all of them begin with:

"Install the product Trial"

jhoman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »
Thank you for your reply, I read the information you sent me and feel completely confused, it talkes about Server-assisted reinstall, .Reg file ,etc. and just don't know where to start, all information concerning GSX and KLAX have been erased from my computer and have to start with step 1, do I have to go thru the buying process again because there is no file, I tried the server assisted thru the buy option and press ALT but that does not work, sorry I am not a computer person and all this information is overwhelming, I thought with my serial number, my order number and my email, this should be sufficient to plug this information into the buying page and reinstall.
Thanks for your time

Jacobus Homan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
I read the information you sent me and feel completely confused, it talkes about Server-assisted reinstall, .Reg file ,etc. and just don't know where to start

I don't see how that simple explanation could be confusing. It simply discuss several different methods or reinstalling but they all have one thing in common: they all require to INSTALL the product Trial, which is the only installer we have.

According to your own description, the Addon Manager says the scenery is ACTIVE and "Not Installed". This means you DID the activation correctly, you simply missed the most obvious step, which is INSTALLING the product.

WHICH IS WHY, I pointed to that guide, just to tell you the product documentation always mentioned THIS missing step (the ONLY step you missed), which is "Install the product Trial". The REST of the "confusing" things, you DID IT ALREADY, since the product IS Active!

I tried the server assisted thru the buy option and press ALT but that does not work

That doesn't work, probably because you bought on the Web store, and the server-assisted Reinstall works only for orders made INSIDE FSX. For orders made OUTSIDE FSX, in the Web page, the Reinstall procedure starts at Page 12, the chapter aptly named "Buy on the Web/PayPal", and the related Reinstallation is discussed from Page 15, the chapter named "Activating your Serial Number"

But that's entirely beside the point: you don't have to do any of this, you DID IT already, probably the most obvious step, which is the "Register Serial" button. If the Addon Manager says the product is Active, then IT IS ACTIVE. No question about it.

But if it also says it's "not Installed", it means you have to INSTALL IT ! Isn't that simple ?

I thought with my serial number, my order number and my email, this should be sufficient

It's much easier than that. JUST with your Serial Number, which is what the "Register Serial" (as the name suggests) does. Which what YOU DID, otherwise you wouldn't see "Active" in the Addon Manager.

Note that, if you haven't changed your hardware, it's likely your activation is still there from the original purchase. And this is GOOD, and shows how much easier and how much better our system is: you DON'T lose your activation by simply "uninstalling". You can uninstall the scenery, uninstall FSX entirely, for as many times as you want, and the activation will still be there, valid.

The only time you need to re-activate, is when you change hardware, or reinstall Windows from scratch. In THAT case, you'll have to go through the Activation step, pressing the "Register Serial" and inserting your Serial Number to let it activate.

If you simply reinstalled FSX or just the FSDT product, and the Addon Manager is confirming the product is ACTIVE, you don't have to do ANYTHING. Just install the product, of course, using the Trial which is always freely downloadable without any limitations.

to plug this information into the buying page and reinstall.

Surely not on the buying page, to reinstall. Again, you are being confused, because you simply can't believe how EASIER is compared to other cumbersome systems that requires going to web sites, inserting lots of informations, pulling a download from a protected site since they don't have a freely available Trial which can be unlocked into the full version JUST with the Serial Number, etc.

So, you are "confused" because our system is so much easier, that you can't believe it is...

The WHOLE message could have be written as such:

If the Addon Manager says "Product Active and Not Installed", download and install the Trial version and you are ready to go.

jhoman

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:24:45 am »
Thank you sir for the excellent detailed information, certainly appreciate the time and effort and your patience handling my ignorance on this subject.

Jacobus Homan