Author Topic: static aircraft  (Read 4057 times)

vadriver

static aircraft
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:44:50 am »
umberto

an idea for the airport editor given your skills with airports & now gsx ... though i'm not sure how it may interface with UT2 for example.

would it be possible to have an option to position static aircraft at gates etc. yet still leave say 20% here & there for AI aircraft & mine. 

essentially, i am trying to reduce the fps load on such airports as your KJFK whilst using the ngx / as2012 / mce / ut2 combo !

maybe, one might need a library of statics to choose from, maybe from the existing AI files & / or they are separately shown against the gate's airline code.

hope it's possible & not too much of a challenge (?)

;)
cheers
john

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: static aircraft
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:26:39 am »
Static airplanes don't make any sense, they are a relic from the past when there was no AI and no AI traffic package. They take a valuable parking spots forever, which should be removed from the AFCAD otherwise you would be double airplanes on the same spot.

And, taking a model from the AI library to use it as static, makes even less sense because, the fps impact will be exactly the same (the model it's the same) and, if you have UT2, you can configure an AI schedule for a specific AI so that it will never depart, making it a static for all purposes. Of course, with no fps benefit.

That's why statics don't make any sense anymore, given the flexibility of AI traffic products. Since you use UT2, if you already used the option to disable jetways for the UT2 AI models, the most sensible option would be simply lower your AI settings, if you lower you AI numbers by the 20% you mentioned, it would give you the same (probably more) fps savings than replacing AI with statics.

vadriver

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:20 am »
thanks umberto for your thoughts ... and now i've asked, i can stop wondering !!

i do tweak my AI settings with some success though it seems odd sometimes to see so few AI at kjfk etc ...  i admit i just want more without the obvious / needed investment.

looking forward to cyvr.
cheers
john

skimmer

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:43:42 am »
Oh I gotta say I love the static C-17s at HNL ,course I guess you mean non military.  ::)

studentpilot55

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:20 am »
Oh I gotta say I love the static C-17s at HNL ,course I guess you mean non military.  ::)

a few static fighters would be a pretty nice addition too lol
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.7GHZ
12GB Ram
W7-64bit
256GB-SSD
750W Powersupply
nVidia GTX 460 1GB