Author Topic: Thinking of buying GSX  (Read 6454 times)

tonyc

Thinking of buying GSX
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:07:31 pm »
I am looking at adding either GSX or AES to my FSX PC. From initial study GSX appeals because it is one straightforward price whereas the AES appears to be neverending if you have a lot of airport addons as I do.

Am I right in saying though that GSX do not support any Jetway control leaving this to just those dictated by default or the third party developer? If so this is a bit of problem at the Aerosoft Mega Airports for instance that seem to depend on AES for Jetway movement. One thread I read suggested buying both so you got jetway control. Fine if money is absolutely no object!

If there is no direct Jetway control in GSX why is that and will/can that be corrected in the future?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:35:47 pm by tonyc »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Thinking of buying GSX
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:19:04 pm »
Am I right in saying though that GSX do not support any Jetway control leaving this to just those dictated by default or the third party developer?

Yes, that's correct. GSX doesn't do anything to jetways, it only *checks* if they are present in the scenery, so it won't create front stairs on a parking that has a jetway. This feature can be user-customizable so, for those sceneries that don't have proper FSX jetways, it's fairly easy to instruct GSX to know they are there, so it won't create un-needed stairs for example.

If so this is a bit of problem at the Aerosoft Mega Airports for instance that seem to depend on AES for Jetway movement.

That's surely a problem (or a missing feature ) those sceneries have.

If there is no direct Jetway control in GSX why is that and will/can that be corrected in the future?

Yes, it will be probably addressed in future GSX versions, but we are not planning to do it for sceneries other than our own. In the long run, it will be scenery developers that will realize that having proper FSX jetways, now that GSX is out and very well established on the market, it's a mandatory feature for a payware scenery.

tonyc

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:59 pm »

Aerosoft actually state they do not activate any jetways in their scenery but encourage buyers to purchase AES to acheive this!

Thanks anyway for the answer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »
Aerosoft actually state they do not activate any jetways in their scenery but encourage buyers to purchase AES to acheive this!

We provide all our airports with animated jetways at no extra cost AND let you use GSX entirely for free there, since there's no need to purchase GSX to have 100% of its features working with no limitations on FSDT airports (and on Flightbeam's KSFO and KPHX too).

qf11bd

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:16:57 pm »
Doesn't FlightBeam's KSFO have static jetways?

tonyc

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:39:17 pm »
We provide all our airports with animated jetways at no extra cost AND let you use GSX entirely for free there, since there's no need to purchase GSX to have 100% of its features working with no limitations on FSDT airports (and on Flightbeam's KSFO and KPHX too).

Unfortunately FSDT only make two airports in Europe where I fly for a VA and although UK2000 are now busily including GSX .inis for their excellent UK scenery the rest of Europe is very much in the hands of Aerosoft and AES. Anyway the real issue is jetways for me so I think once GSX include them it will be more interesting for me.

I know some people are using a combination of both products to get full coverage. How would this work? Can you set up the products to pick and choose which features you use at which airports?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »

I don't see how the fact that Flightbeam KSFO has static jetways, has anything to do with the fact that you can use GSX for free there. As explained, countless of other times, GSX doesn't change anything to the jetway situation in a scenery but, this doesn't prevent to use ALL THE REST of GSX, at Flightbeam KSFO, for free, which is what I was referring to.

Maybe this wasn't explained clearly enough: an airport might have static jetways, but this doesn't have any relationship with the ability to use it with GSX. Everything will work, EXCEPT it will still have static jetways as it always had.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »
Anyway the real issue is jetways for me so I think once GSX include them it will be more interesting for me.

As I've already said in my previous message, in case GSX will add its own jetway system, it will be for FSDT sceneries only, so we'll hopefully have a much flexible system than the FSX one.

But we don't have plans to enhance 3rd party airports with animated jetways, since we believe it's a feature that should be offered as standard with any scenery that is advertised as being fully FSX compliant (you would expect a payware addon scenery would offer AT LEAST everything that a simple FSX default scenery has...), and doing that would require to charge by-airport, and that would go against the main GSX philosophy, that is a one-stop global enhancement product, with a flat-fee pricing.

qf11bd

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

I don't see how the fact that Flightbeam KSFO has static jetways, has anything to do with the fact that you can use GSX for free there. As explained, countless of other times, GSX doesn't change anything to the jetway situation in a scenery but, this doesn't prevent to use ALL THE REST of GSX, at Flightbeam KSFO, for free, which is what I was referring to.

Maybe this wasn't explained clearly enough: an airport might have static jetways, but this doesn't have any relationship with the ability to use it with GSX. Everything will work, EXCEPT it will still have static jetways as it always had.

I was meaning that as a big airport like that, it would be a shame not having any jetways (using stairs as GSX supports). If a jetway integration tool was added to GSX, it would for sure have the complete upper hand over AES.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:40 am »
I was meaning that as a big airport like that, it would be a shame not having any jetways (using stairs as GSX supports). If a jetway integration tool was added to GSX, it would for sure have the complete upper hand over AES.

Please, re-read my last message. GSX main selling feature is precisely the fact that it doesn't require to charge by airport, which is what would have to be done, if we had to provide individual jetway remakes for every 3rd party airport with missing jetways.