Author Topic: Gate positions for your airline  (Read 3811 times)

dickxxx

Gate positions for your airline
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »
First all: I love this option. For me it really adds value to park at a gate that is intended for the livery I am flying at that moment !!
Sometimes I am offered this option and sometimes I am not. What are the criteria that need to be met before I can see this option ?  and why do I sometimes not see this option ?
This option in combination with a possible option to clear an occupied gate would for me be a winner !
thx / b rdgs / Dick
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:53:39 am by dickxxx »

C130

• "With your eyes turned skywards...."
Re: Gate positions for your airline
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:10:21 am »
Hello,

I am not a developer, others will be along to help.

I can only tell you what I have found on my PC.

I use Traffic X. It has airport AFCADS for some (1000 or so) FSX airports. These airports only had a few parking positions, due to Traffic X not reading all the correct FSX airports. GEX was reading these AFCADS sometimes.

The result was, sometimes GSX would only give me the Traffic  X AFCAD options. 10 Parking positions at KORD! ???

I resolved the issue by de selecting (untick) the Traffic X scenery in the FSX scenery folder.

Now GSX looks at the correct AFCADS. I always get all the parking positions.

Hope this helps you

Regards.
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:39:55 am »
First all: I love this option. For me it really adds value to park at a gate that is intended for the livery I am flying at that moment !!

This has been discussed too many times already, and of course is explained on the manual: the airplane YOU are flying doesn't have any effect on the choice of ground operators. ONLY the atc_airllne_codes in the parking, as defined in the scenery, do.

This is by design, and IS correct because, it would be very unrealistic that your airline could have its own ground crew everywhere in the world, such a Lufthansa flying to New York having his german crew at JFK.

Instead, with the parking driven by the atc_parking_codes, it's more likely to produce a more realistic situation, because in the previous example, that Lufthansa airplane might want to go parking on a parking that has his own code together other codes that Lufthansa code share with, like United, so a United crew might show up.

The atc_airline_code YOU are flying (IF present in your aircraft.cfg), will only drive the choice of the ULD pallet you are going to use. And of course, this is made intentionally too, in order to not having pallets on arrival different than pallets on departure.

dickxxx

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »
Afraid I did not put my question clear enough. I am aware of the in and outs that effect the choice of groundhandlers. But that is not what I mean.

After landing when opening the GSX menu you get the option to choose gates. I have seen two versions. Either you are given a full listing of the gates that GSX finds on the afcad or you get an option to see all gates plus a listing of "gate positions for your airline". Seems logical that the listed gates here depend on airlinecode in afcad and cfg of the present aircraft.

My questions is why I sometimes get to see the first case ( just a listing of all the gates) or sometimes the second case where I have the option to choose a gate position assigned to my airline.
As I would like to see this option at more ( all ) airports I am trying to find out the criteria that need to be met to have gates listed for my airline so I can change whatever afcad of cfg that could be required. Or is there some hardcoding involved ?

thx for your time
b rgds Dick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
My questions is why I sometimes get to see the first case ( just a listing of all the gates) or sometimes the second case where I have the option to choose a gate position assigned to my airline.

There aren't two lists, the list it's always the same and the parking spots are exactly the same, because they are taken from the same AFCAD.

What changes is, if the airplane your are flying has an atc_airline_code in its aircraft.cfg, the listed is SORTED with gates matching your airline at the top, so they are easier to find. But the parking spots are exactly the same. GSX says "Gate positions for your airline", only to let you know they have been sorted to put the matching gates on top of the list.