Author Topic: GSX and AES at Aerosoft airports  (Read 7446 times)

C130

• "With your eyes turned skywards...."
GSX and AES at Aerosoft airports
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:56:46 am »
First thanks to Bruce on this forum who helped me get GSX working at the Aerosoft airports I have.

Their Jetways are indeed "dead" to GSX. The only way you can get them to work is by installing AES and paying for the credits for their respective airports! :(

That said, once all the desired doors have been disabled/enabled and set for AES, you go on to set your doors and airport positions in the GSX editor. This feature is superb. Thank you devs!

I just did a video using one of my old aircraft (for a challenge) the MD-11. I have not flown it for a while and because it has two versions(Cargo and Pax) there are numerous doors to fathom!  I have just realised how to get the Jetway working on the MD-11, but too darn late for my vid :'(  Nevermind!
EDIT New Video posted with the double jetways working! Thanks Bruce! ;D

Thanks again to the devs at FSDT, its a great product. I will do another vid with the MD and my typed aircraft, the 737, with as many GSX vehicles as possible, now I have it sorted out ;D  Thing is, you could do a "start and end" video of 3/4 hour with no flying, just to watch the GSX crew working ;D

BTW, I ran into OOM issues after 45 minutes! I have not had one of those errors since I had a 32 bit Vista PC! The clue is to lower FSX settings to as low as you can stand. In particular, Traffic settings and no road vehicles. Put Windows Task Manager on your second monitor and watch the "Processes" colum, FSX went to +3Gb!  I see Coutl.exe32 only uses 35-40,000k, so it must be Radar Contact and FS2Crew all adding up to a OOM.

EDIT Its the TCAS in the complex aircraft, namely PMDG MD-11 and  IFly 737, switch them off in cockpit helps. I surmise its linked to the complex airports as well, ground velicles and the like. But no two PC's are alike!

My PC has W7 64, 8GB on a i7 @ 4.2 GHz.

Hope you like the vid. If its too long Fast Fwd it! ;)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:59:01 am by C130 »
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX and AES at Aerosoft airports
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:17 am »
I see Couatl.exe32 only uses 35-40,000k, so it must be Radar Contact and FS2Crew all adding up to a OOM.

That memory used by Couatl, doesn't take away from the 3GB of memory available to FSX because, being an external .EXE, it has its own separate 3GB Virtual Address Space. The only way Couatl could cause an OoM is if it consumed more of *its* 3GB. An FSX OoM could only be caused by memory allocated directly by FSX.EXE + 3rd party .DLL and .GAU modules.

The overall memory consumption is not a problem on a 64 bit Windows because, if the sum of all running processes would exceed your physical memory (unlikely with 8GB, unless you want run FSX+Photoshop+3DS Max+Office at the same time), the OS will start swapping to hard disk, which means it might slow down, but wil not crash with a OoM.

C130

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:45 am »
An FSX OoM could only be caused by memory allocated directly by FSX.EXE + 3rd party .DLL and .GAU modules.

Thanks for the heads up!

The only new add on that installs guages into the FSX cfg file is FS2Crew MD-11.

I gather that FSX loads all the guages in the FSX cfg file upon each start up of FSX. Therefore, even if you are not using the guage, say that you are not flying the MD-11 with FS2Crew, then the guage is still loaded and consuming memory?

Or am I incorrect here and the guage actually has to be in use in FSX before it consumes memory?

The FS2Crew MD-11 add on may be the culpret. I guess only a FSX cfg re-build will tell.

Whatever, your GSX program is not using any FSX RAM, I see it has its own address space.

Oh the idiosyncrasies of FSX, where would we be without them ;D

Many thanks

Regards.
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »
Or am I incorrect here and the guage actually has to be in use in FSX before it consumes memory?

A .GAU file is only loaded when the airplane that loads the related panel.cfg is selected. A .DLL module referenced in the DLL.XML file, instead, is loaded together with FSX at each start.

However, just being loaded, doesn't say much about memory consumption. It depends what the module/gauge *does* and *when*.

For example, an airplane might use a certain amount of memory with all its gauges loaded at start, but increase its usage ONLY when you use the FMC to create a flight plan, possibly because it started to allocate new space to read the navaids data and create flight plans with it. Some reads the whole navdata file at each airplane start (not *so* smart...) and a very smart developer might instead use a real database like sql or such, that would use about always the same amount of memory regardless how big the navdata file is...

An airplane with a *bug* in the code, might leak memory at a very slow rate but, crashing with OoM only after a long flight, just because it took some time to exhaust those FSX 3GBs.

It's really impossible to tell as a general rule, only the developers will know.

C130

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:19:42 am »
An airplane with a *bug* in the code, might leak memory at a very slow rate but, crashing with OoM only after a long flight, just because it took some time to exhaust those FSX 3GBs.

Thanks again! Your help is appreciated.

I think there is a "memory leak".....Unknown origin.

My FSX working memory in Windows Task Manager, goes from 1.8 Gb for standard FSX airports and scenery (GEX and UTX installed) to 2.8Gb when approaching LSZH (Aerosoft ::))  This whilst flying the PMDG MD-11 and the IFly 737...Both with complex FMC's.

LSZH possibly having the largest scenery area to eat up rescources? 

I will try one of FSDT airports....Which one? I am open to suggestions? I was thinking Geneva or a US airport...Chicago?  I like the Aerosoft ideas of double Jetways, these work well with the MD-11. The only problem is I think they eat up memory :-\

Poor old FSX is begining to show the cracks of its age. I think I may have reached the limit of Add ons on my PC :(

Many thanks again.

Cheers.