Author Topic: Crash with all FSDT sceneries, msvcr80.dll fault  (Read 5755 times)

Kosta

Crash with all FSDT sceneries, msvcr80.dll fault
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »
Help anyone, I am about to pull my hairs out!

I installed W7 fresh couple of days ago. Then I started installing FSX...
Just today I finalized everything, just to discover that ALL my FSDT stuff is crashing the sim when I attempt to load it.

First thing I did was search the forums, found couple of topics on what to do.

So far I tried:
Uninstalling all C++ 2005 redistributables.
Reinstalling them.
Removing FSX (I backed up first), reinstalling FSX allowing it to install its own redist. Installed SP1 + SP2. Then tried FSDT KJFK for a test.
Crash.

I basically did all I could do around that msvcr80.dll, short of deleting ALL msvcr80.dll on my system, which could cause some serious problems I read.

Anyway, FSDT has always worked great, just now started getting these problems.

I DO NOT WANT to go through installing W7 + FSX again, as if I had to do that, I would probably throw this bag of crap out of the window, so I hope, I really hope there is some magical solution to this.
Regards, Kosta

Kosta

Re: Crash with all FSDT sceneries, msvcr80.dll fault
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:19 am »
Maybe this will help the support:

I tried following: I removed ALL 2005 and 2008 libraries, then I reinstall FSX into fresh folder, renaming the old one.
FSX installed the vcredist, though funnily enough, it didn't appear on the programs list after installation. So I installed it manually. Good.
SP1 + SP2 - good.
Then FSDT into new clean FSX. Works!
Then I restored my "old" installation, cleaning FSDT previously, installing it again into "old" FSX. Crash!

Apparently, there is some issue with the FSX/FSDT itself, NOT msvcr80.dll, as they just previously worked in the "old" FSX with the same libraries installed.
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »
Apparently, there is some issue with the FSX/FSDT itself, NOT msvcr80.dll, as they just previously worked in the "old" FSX with the same libraries installed.

According to your report, it's exactly the opposite:

Then FSDT into new clean FSX. Works!

Then I restored my "old" installation, cleaning FSDT previously, installing it again into "old" FSX. Crash!

This above two steps clearly proves FSDT stuff it's ok when installed in a clean FSX installation, the problem was something else which went wrong in your old FSX install, which caused FSDT stuff crashing when installed into an FSX install that surely had some kind of problem.

Kosta

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »
You are quite correct.

I was still hoping as it is fsdt scenery that crashes when loaded, that you might be able to help me.

Could you tell me exact files fsdt installers change or write into fsx and windows? I would like to attempt cleaning it completely.

I tried already disabling all sceneries, dll and exe xml files, running virtually completely clean, except gauges for now, which are still enabled.

I started suspecting pmdg stuff as it also uses c++ libraries, but I simply still can't find the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Regards, Kosta

Kosta

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »
Forget it. The problems seems much deeper than I thought at first. FSX was crashing in the startup menu.

Anyway, completely deleted, reinstalling  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:54 pm »
Could you tell me exact files fsdt installers change or write into fsx and windows? I would like to attempt cleaning it completely.

Not much, really. Apart for the scenery files and other couatl support files (that being python programs running outside FSX in the couatl interpreter, can't create any issues to FSX), the only files installed in FSX are:

The Addon Manager .dll and related .dat files ( bglmanx*.* in the FSX root folder )

Outside FSX, the files installed are:

the Esellerateengine.dll in the C:\ProgramData\Esellerate folder

And then our installer launches the official VC++ 2005 redistributable installer from Microsoft, which will install the 2005 runtimes but, if the correct version is already found on the system, it will not do anything (that install step will be very short)

I started suspecting pmdg stuff as it also uses c++ libraries, but I simply still can't find the culprit.

PMDG uses the VC++ 2008 runtimes and yes, there was a known problem (also acknowledged by Microsoft) that installing a specific version of the VC++ 2008 runtimes over an existing VC++ 2005 runtimes install, would cause a conflict, resulting in crashes in MSVCR80.DLL. I believe Microsoft should have fixed this a while ago, but I'm not sure exactly which version was the affected one. We purposely use the 2005 version, because it's the one that FSX SP2 uses, so the reasoning was that using the same version as FSX would minimize conflicts.

Kosta

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »
OK, thanks for the reply. Read my previous post.
Regards, Kosta

Kosta

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:29:38 am »
I just wanted to give you an update, the problem has been resolved, and not only that, but I now know why I was getting the error.

I have quite a few sceneries, both freeware and payware, and I usually run through the installers, and in the end copy in my old scenery.cfg, as I have it all sorted out there.
Apparently, after I installed everything, I get a messed up fsx.exe. I don't know why.

I then read somewhere that uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling, with a reboot inbetween might fix an issue - and it did!

So, here you have another idea you might share with your users when they report the msvcr80.dll error!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:34:33 am by Kosta »
Regards, Kosta

bjratchf

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 06:21:14 am »
Does uninstalling FSX SP2 and reinstalling break any orbx/addon installations?