Author Topic: Latest update - strange things happens  (Read 4581 times)

Morten

Latest update - strange things happens
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:12:46 am »
After installing the latest addon manager, strange things happens!

First the GSX interface totally disappeared. After launching FSX several times it came back, however and prompted me to update GSX inside FSX. So I did but I still couldn't launch the GSX facilities. I then reinstalled the update (inside FSX). No change. After reinstalling a second time things now started to work. But the FollowMe car won't show up next to the runways.
What the heck is going on?!  :-\

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Latest update - strange things happens
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:15 am »
Nothing of what you describe can possibly happened normally, you must have some corrupted/missing files on your system. Try to uninstall GSX, download the full installer, and install that one.

Morten

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »
Hmmm..if I just had any idea of how to uninstall this thing properly..?!

There's no Program Group at all here! - including an unistallation feature, for instance!
All I can find is the manual in the FSX/Fsdreamteam/couatl/GSX folder. In this manual you refer to a “fsdt_Install_Guide.pdf” which is suppose to be present in the FSX/Fsdreamteam folder, but which is not!
The only uninstallation feature I can find is through the control panel for general uninstallation of programs. And from here, the only clue regarding to your product I can see inside here is, non less than, 4 times "VIRTUALI Addon ManagerX" from different dates/versions...!!

Virtuali, regardless of your fantastic and wonderful application, some installation/unintallation/clean up job really seems to be needed here!       

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:46 am »
Hmmm..if I just had any idea of how to uninstall this thing properly..?!

Any Windows program out there, can be Uninstalled from the Control Panel, going into the Add/Remove programs section, there you'll find all programs you installed that comes with a proper Uninstaller which is configured to be uninstalled in the Windows standard way, and of course all our products are made like this.

Virtuali, regardless of your fantastic and wonderful application, some installation/unintallation/clean up job really seems to be needed here!

The installation can't be easier, since it's an automated installed that doesn't need anything to do. Uninstall can't be easier too, since it uses the utmost standard way of Uninstalling any Windows program, which is from the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Program sections.

rvandiver1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:44:55 pm »
I have experienced a problem after the last update as well.  My Ultimate Terrain has been reset to default status basically.  I have a message on there saying "a 3rd Party product has increased the FSX Global Texture resolution beyond that standard maximum of 1024 pixels".  This didn't occur until after the download of the GSX update this morning.  Thanks for your help with this!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »
I have experienced a problem after the last update as well.

This can't possibly be caused by the latest update.

I have a message on there saying "a 3rd Party product has increased the FSX Global Texture resolution beyond that standard maximum of 1024 pixels".  This didn't occur until after the download of the GSX update this morning.  Thanks for your help with this!!

It's a very well known fact that FSX supports up to 4096x4096 texture resolution, just you can't set it from its user interface. There are many airplane and sceneries out there that use this resolution, which works without any problems.

We have the option to enable HD texture available in the Addon Manager since more than 1 year, when KLAX was released and well before the first GSX release, and it's the "Force HD textures" option. GSX doesn't need it, but KLAX and other sceneries (es. Flightbeam KPHX) and airplanes (es. Qualitywings) use it and it's absolutely safe to use and KLAX will look blurred if you don't enable it.

So no, the problem hasn't happened after the latest update (unless you had the "Force HD Textures" option set to off and enabled it just now), because the option is there since last year, that message from UT is not really needed and it's not an indication of a problem.

Note that, if you have OTHER utilities that set the texture resolution to 4096x4096, you shouldn't use them anymore, because the Addon Manager already does that, and it does it in the smartest way, not keep rewriting the FSX.CFG at every FSX start (or even constantly every second, like a freeware utility does), but writing it only when you set the option, without requiring an FSX restart because the value is also written in memory and updated in FSX immediately.