Author Topic: Couatl and ATI Tray Tools  (Read 5895 times)

hero93

Couatl and ATI Tray Tools
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:15:45 am »
I have now found the cause for couatl.exe crashing even during flight on my system.

I use ATI Tray Tools (ATT) to tweak my graphics.

When I start FSX with ATT running couatl crashes after seconds.

When I set ATT and close it before starting FSX couatl runs fine and the changes from ATT are applied.
However, I sometimes  have to change some settings in ATT. So when I start ATT during a flight couatl crashes and the buildings disappear. Thus I have to restart FSX.

Maybe you could overthink couatl and provide a more stable version.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl and ATI Tray Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:13 am »
I have an ATI card and the tools are always in my taskbar, with no issues whatsoever.

The ATI tray tools are not the problem, nor it's couatl, the real reason is that probably your system has a problem with c++ libraries that both the ati tools and couatl are using, and if there's something wrong with those, any products happening to use such libraries might conflict with each other.

Try to ensure everything is updated in Windows, this might fix the visual c++ libraries.

jase439

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:37:58 pm »
This is happening to me also (ATI Tray Tools 1.7.9). Judging from the couatl error log, it looks like some kind of anti-piracy thing kicking in (application integrity error) - I don't think couatl likes the DLL hooks. The correlation is clear though...if couatl starts with ATI Tray Tool resident, it spews all kinds of fatal exception garbage. If I start the tray tools AFTER flight sim is loaded, I don't get the exception (unless the sim resets or couatl is restarted).

I really like my tray tools. It would be nice if this interference could be looked into.

PS. Running couatl 2.9.0.4

hero93

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
I was able to "fix" this issue by adding couatl.exe to the exception list of ATT's automatic overclocking.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:44:30 pm »
I really like my tray tools. It would be nice if this interference could be looked into.

We already looked into and it simply can't be fixed, unless the ATI Tray tools would stop hooking into executables they don't have anything to do with. A global hook like that is not so different than what a real virus might do.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:44:59 pm »
I was able to "fix" this issue by adding couatl.exe to the exception list of ATT's automatic overclocking.

That's interesting, and good to know.

jase439

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:46 pm »

Hero93 FTW. Your SN was aptly chosen :)

Thank you!

Quote from: virtuali
That's interesting, and good to know.

This is definitely FAQ material.