Author Topic: Addon Manager  (Read 5160 times)

krwynn

Addon Manager
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:36 am »
I have TextureMaxLoad=9 in my fsx.cfg. I change it to match my cfg in the addon manager but it persists on changing it to 6. I change it to 9, go back in and its back at 6. Is there anyway to make it stop doing that?

Thanks
Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:26 am »
The Addon Manager doesn't force the TextureMaxLoad parameter, which is in the [Display] section.

You are probably confusing it with the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD parameter in the [Graphics] section, which IS changed bu the Addon Manager, if you selected the "Force HD textures" option, which does exactly what it says it does: forcing the maximum textures size.

The TextureMaxLoad, instead, is controlled by the slider in the Addon Manager and you don't have to "change it to match the fsx.cfg", because it's already read from there so, when you start FSX and open the Addon Manager, the value will be the one from your fsx.cfg.

This, provided you put it in the correct section. It must be in the [Display] section, if you put it manually in another section (like the [Graphics] for example), it won't have any effect on FSX, and the Addon Manager will instead use a default value that, if saved, will be put in the correct [Display] section.

The behavior you described seems to be consistent with this: maybe are looking at the TextureMaxLoad parameter in the wrong section.

krwynn

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:02 am »
I've been involved with FS since the 95 version so I'm pretty familiar with how this works. Not to say I can't make a mistake, but in this instance that's not the case. I've provided pics so you can see what I'm referring too.

No matter how many times I change it in addon manager, it always goes back to 6.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
No matter how many times I change it in addon manager, it always goes back to 6.

The issue is, it doesn't happen here, I've checked just to be sure before replying to you.

That you might have confused the [display] section with the [graphic] section seemed to be the most reasonable explanation but, if it's not, then there's something else in your system which is causing the problem but, I repeat and confirm the Addon Manager DOES NOT force the TextureMaxLoad parameter. It forces the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD parameter instead, and ONLY if you enable the "Force HD textures" option.

Another possible cause is, do you have some external utility that block access to the FSX.CFG ? There are products out there which rewrite the FSX.CFG on every start, as a dumb way to do what we do with the "Force HD textures" option, there's even a free utility that rewrites the FSX.CFG EVERY SECOND...of course the Addon Manager does it in the correct way, it never constantly rewrite the FSX.CFG, it only does it when you change the value and it also writes it directly in memory so, if you have the Addon Manager, you can safely remove any other product that writes to the FSX.CFG, in order to obtain the same effect.

It's possible such programs would block access to the FSX.CFG while they are running, so the Addon Manager couldn't update it, that would explain why you believe the Addon Manager lost sync of the TextureMaxLoad parameter, but it's not.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:47:42 am by virtuali »

krwynn

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:21 am »
Another program locking it could be the answer. It's strange though that TextureMaxLoad is the only one inside Addon manager that won't update the cfg file. I can change any other setting in Addon and the change will appear in the cfg. The only one that seems "stuck", for a lack of a better word, also goes back to 6. So I guess the question is, which one will FSX use, the 6 or 9?
Thanks for the help BTW.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:53 am »
which one will FSX use, the 6 or 9?

The one in the [display] section of the FSX.CFG, read when FSX starts.