Author Topic: KSFO Scenery and GSX issue  (Read 4403 times)

Heronjr

KSFO Scenery and GSX issue
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »
Hi All,

Last week I installed the excellent FlightBeam KPHX-Phoenix Intl and all went well. But yesterday, after installing their KSFO-San Francisco Intl, GSX was disabled (there was no reaction to Ctrl-F12 and no menu entries for Couatl). As I live in the exquisite Windows World for a long time, I reinstalled GSX and the Couatl menu entries came back but Ctrl-F12 brought a message somewhat like cannot find AFCAD position, no services here, etc. I did a search in the forum and found a solution rebuilding the scenery indexes deleting the folder 'c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes\'.

Things are working now, but here is the warning about FlightBeam KSFO - another excellent scenery for those who like complete airports. Check GSX after its installation.

Regards

Heron

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KSFO Scenery and GSX issue
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
As a general rule, after installing an older (KSFO) scenery after a new one (KPHX) it would be best to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. Of course, reinstalling the full GSX is basically the same.

The problem with the SceneryIndexes\ folder didn't had anything to do with KSFO and its installation, it's more like an issue that sometimes happens with FSX not updating the Scenery Library entirely.

GSX relies on that folder to detect it's time to update its own cache, we could make it 100% foolproof, by updating the GSX cache every time, but then it would be annoying because you would have to wait for the GSX cache at every FSX start so, we used the simpler solution, to rely on the FSX own cache to know when it's time to update the GSX cache too.

Heronjr

Re: KSFO Scenery and GSX issue
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:19 pm »
Umberto,

Thanks for replying. I also reinstalled the Addon Manager and now I even see the new GSX airport tuning entry. I made a KPHX-KSFO fly with both airports in all their beauty and GSX features.

Regards,

Heron