Author Topic: W7 compatibility mode  (Read 3656 times)

Iceman II

W7 compatibility mode
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:15 am »
Hi all
Can someone tell me whats is going on here. pls I have a new build after replacing a 2600k. Now I have:

2700k OC 5.0
2 X GTX680
W7 64 bit
UT
UT2
NGX
MD11
ORBX
FSDT

All was well until I installed all the FSDT airport scenery and now FSX hangs on startup due to the bglmanx Dynamic Link Library. I'm sorta use to this as the 2600K would do it too, but after 3 or 4 start attempts FSX would start fine. Now with the 2700K after about 10 - 20 attempts it might start mostly not.. so I turn it off and go to bed

Reading the forum they say make sure the 2005 runtime files are installed and thats about it.

I did find a fix... BUT not a good one:

If I run the FSX.exe in VISTA SP2 compatibility mode all works well. The BIG problem here is FSX runs like Crap with FPS around 10 - 25 and major stutters. But if I go back to normal mode (FSX.exe) I get the FSX hang so I choose not to run the bglmanx Dynamic Link Library (no FSDT airports) and she runs like a dream, FPS locked solid at 30 and smooth like a babies butt, using COSTA's tweaks.

Whats wrong with VISTA mode?

Why does FSDT bglmanx work in VISTA mode but not W7 mode or unchecked mode.

Why does FSX run like crap in VISTA mode?

Iceman2
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:57:46 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: W7 compatibility mode
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:10 am »
FSX runs best with NO COMPATIBILITY checkmarks at all, which is the default install, and the Addon Manager doesn't run if you enable any of the compatibility checkmarks too. Everywhere on the forum, we always tell to turn OFF ANY compatibility mode.

If you had to enable a compatibility mode to run the Addon Manager (which normally only runs with no compatibility checkmarks enabled), this is probably just an indication you have some kind of problem with your Windows install, most likely missing/corrupted system libraries, most likely the Visual C++ runtimes, that might have been missing/corrupted due to another product (even non-FSX related) you might have installed.

As explained in many other forum threads, try to remove ALL the instances of the Visual C++ 2005 runtimes using the Control panel, then reisntall any FSDT product which will automatically reinstall them.

Iceman II

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:53:43 am »
Thanks for that..

I have only allowed FSDT to install the 2005 runtimes & as you have stated here many many times, uninstalled GSX and or the manager with no success which re-installs the runtimes.

It sorta points towards a dud W7 install maybe. Although the last computer had the same issue too. (although it did start after 3-4 attempts) But I was very surprised to see FSX run so bad in Vista mode.

Not much more to do other than try a reinstall of w7.  Its a fresh build with no Anti-virus installed yet. I'm wondering if all the windows updates clash somewhere although it shows all installed with no fails.

I wont waste your time, as I see many posts on this here.

thanks

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »
Are you sure that what you're seeing as FSX not running isn't one of the security dialog boxes waiting for you to click yes or no?  They often wind up behind the splash screen, where you can't see them.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock