Author Topic: nervousness about ocean flying  (Read 3333 times)

fsxking08

• "Keep on Flying!"
nervousness about ocean flying
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:39:21 am »
Is it bad that even though I love flying, and I know it is safer than most transportation, I am kind of scared to fly across oceans in real life? I might be going to Australia in 2 years, and it kind of scares me to fly nonstop over the ocean for that long, and even from California to Hawaii for that long scares me. And I have an iphone, with like 10 songs on it... but I got lots of games on it, and I'll definetly take video of the take off's and landings! I surely hope I'll get a window seat!

I am also terrified of those foldable airplane bathrooms, because when I was 7 I was flying somewhere and the airplane had those newer folding bathrooms doors, and since it folds out when it opens, the pressure makes it kind of hard for weak people to open it, and being 7, I couldn't unlock the thing, and started freaking out, and finally got it opened, and after that, I am terrified of airplane bathrooms.

And the reason I talked about being scared of airplane bathrooms is because what if the doors jam up and nobody can get it opened, I would have to just sit in that bathroom for who knows how long until we get on the ground, and I am also scared of being locked in a room without being able to see outside, and for that long of a flight no matter who you are you'd have to use the bathroom atleast once.

Now, I know I'm over exaggerating, but I can't help it. Over the summer, I flew on a 737-900 and it had folding doors, and I was not expecting it to be that hard to unlock, so I (with average strength) tried to unlock the door, and it wouldn't budge, and so I freaked out and tried slamming it open, and ofcourse it opened, but that expirence kind of reopened up my fear of folding bathroom doors.

My kind of weird rant is over.  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:38:22 am by fsxking08 »

I7, 2.93 GHz
ATI Radeon 4600 (1 gig memory)
4 gigs RAM
CS 767-300, 757-200, 757-200F

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: nervousness about ocean flying
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:56:56 pm »
Virtual bathrooms are even smaller, you need to give up simming.   :D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

theshack440

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »
The fear of flying is extremely prevalent in todays world. News and media seem to love nothing more than to exaggerate the truth about flying, especially incidents--causing panic amongst the general public. I don't mean to sound preachy but I'm sure many other people share your fear and to be very honest, in many ways, the fear of flying over long stretches of ocean makes sense. However, you just need to think how everyday dozens of flights make the journey from either California, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan or wherever else to Australia or other places that require very long stretches of ocean crossing -- and with extraordinary consistency[/i] have no problems. And as you probably know, most incidents in the air nowadays are far less extreme and pilots are  more thoroughly trained than ever before. My father does not like to fly and I always need to calm him down (especially when we cross long stretches of ocean) and just say that there even places to stop if need be for an emergency.

And for your fear of bathroom doors, they can be a bit sticky but I don't really think there is much to worry about. If I were you, I would bring my iPod and headphones or something with me just in case it did happen to get stuck and I was not able to get out.

I hope that helps.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

fsxking08

• "Keep on Flying!"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37:37 am »
I'm not scared of flying at all, I love it, it's just the thought of knowing that if something went wrong, if we'd turn back, it'd be between 1 and 3 hours back to California, or keep going it'd be 3 hours to Hawaii (depending if we were halfway or not) and then between Hawaii and Australia, it'd be between 1 and 8 hours, depending on where we're at, thats what gets me, but I know that I'm exaggerating, and the bathroom thing I can't help it, its something that will most likely stick with me the rest of my life. Thanks guys for all the help!

Also, my dad was a business man who traveled all over the country, and spent 3 weeks away, 3 days home, then left again, so he accumulated over 300 somethin thousand miles for different airlines, and so we flew for free to Minnesota every year to visit my family, and everytime I flew after that, I asked the next person behind me to make sure no one opened the bathroom door because I was afraid to lock the thing... lol  ;D

I7, 2.93 GHz
ATI Radeon 4600 (1 gig memory)
4 gigs RAM
CS 767-300, 757-200, 757-200F