Author Topic: FSDT Updates.....  (Read 4722 times)

liketofly

FSDT Updates.....
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:57:09 pm »
Hi Umberto and FSDT Team....

It would be really nice if you could open a topic in the forum with all Updates to your sceneries in one place. I have quite a lot, including all of your sceneries.... now for every reinstall or even if I only want to check if I have all updates to the sceneries I have to open each specific scenery topic in the forum to see which one is the latest one......

so, If possible, just open a topic wich is not for discussion but only to place the latest update news in one location, so one does not need to open each scenery topic...

regards
liketofly

wb2002

Re: FSDT Updates.....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »
I too, would really appreciate this feature . . . .

Thanks
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:16:28 pm »
There's no need for this, because we have an update notification system inside FSX. If an update is necessary, you will see a "you have an old version of scenery xxx".

And, some updates (AFCADs for example) are installed automatically when installing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

wb2002

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:50:12 am »
I thought this was the case - I am glad you have confirmed this.

Thanks

wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

liketofly

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:56:59 pm »
True Umberto,

And an absolutely appreciated system which works very well, however, If I'm newly installing, I like to check prior to installing that I'm up to date. I'd still like to install the newest version without needing to wait for the in-game message, which means i need to stop and re-download.....

And checking all updates for my rather large installation takes a lot of time, that was why I suggested to have on topic with all updates  ;)

regards
liketofly

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:31 pm »
I'd still like to install the newest version without needing to wait for the in-game message, which means i need to stop and re-download....

Large updates for a scenery, that would require you to re-download, are not so common and, if you know your installer is many months or even years old, it would be easier just download it again without even thinking about it, and in that case, you would have to re-download anyways.

What we update quite often, are the installer themselves rather than the actual files in the scenery, so new installers comes with all the newest addition like common support files for docking systems, gsx support, etc. BUT, these files are ALWAYS included in the Stand-Alone Addon Manager so, if you download and install THAT one AFTER all the sceneries, it will update all these files without having to re-download all the scenery installers, which might be exactly the same as the version you have, except for those support files that are always included and always updated in the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

And, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager will ALSO update ALL the AFCADs and other smaller files that might be updated more often, for ALL sceneries that are found to be already installed when its installation is ran, and it will do this for all sceneries at once, in a single step, provided (of course) you run as the last thing you do.

I confirm that this is the system that works better, because we KNOW what we are updating so we know if and when issue a "Old scenery" notification.

With a sticky post on the forum, people will needlessly download hundreds of megabytes of sceneries just because they would see an higher version number, with possibly no changes in the actual scenery but, for example, just a newer installer that will include a fixed common file, like a docking system, that would be automatically updated by updating the Addon Manager, or the GSX Live Update (for those having GSX) anyway. Sometimes, we update ALL our installers at once, just to be sure they all contain a new small support file, and if you had such kind of forum updates lists, you would be tempted to download all of them for nothing, when you could simply download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager instead.

liketofly

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:33:16 am »
Ah ::),

Thanks for that explanation..... In this case you are absolutely wright. I never thought of it that way (regarding download bandwidth).

So, basically if I install the latest Stand alone Addon Manager, i'm up to date.... really nice.

Thanks

liketofly