Author Topic: No FSDT Airports or GSX working anymore  (Read 8134 times)

acra24

No FSDT Airports or GSX working anymore
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »
Hello
I've been having a few problems with my FSDT airports and having read some other posts it sounds similar to other problems people have been having. My problem is like this;

I have almost all FSDT add on airports + GSX.  Until recently they all worked fine but I just installed PMDGs 737NGX and after that I kept getting a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error. I could still run FSX but FSDT airports & GSX stopped working.  I read through your forum and eventually got the runtime error to stop by reinstalling my MS Visual C++ files & setting the COUATL.exe and bglmanx.dll to run as Admin.  The runtime error ceased, but I noticed that the couatl option in the FSX menu had gone and the airport scenery was all missing and GSX wasn't available.  I have downloaded all the most recent installs, plus addon manager and GSX. I deleted all the old versions, plus any left over files, and then switched my AV off and set it up with the necessary exceptions. I have reinstalled the files one by one and GSX last but couatl has never reappeared in the FSX menu. All I can see are the FSDT runways and jetways.
I searched various threads including this one
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6733.15
where the author removed  'disable_on_airports=NONE' from the couatlAddons.ini file. I did this by adding rem lines // and when I started FSX couatl appeared again in the menu and the airport was there again.  :)
But my joy was short-lived.  :( I closed FSX and then installed KFLL which I had forgotten to install previously. When I started it again couatl was gone. When I went back to the ini file the line had been un removed (i.e. the // lines were gone).  I put them back in again but now when I start FSX couatl still doesn't appear and there is no scenery. Can you tell me what I have done wrong please? I really want my FSDT airports back.

Thanks

Sorry if this in the wrong place.

Andrew

acra24

Re: No FSDT Airports or GSX working anymore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:20:01 pm »
Sorry, forgot to say;

FSX Acceleration
Win7 64bit
Nvidia GTX580

Andrew

acra24

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »
Here's a pic showing cars floating in the sky at KFLL after I attempted to reinstall it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:32:35 pm »
I searched various threads including this one
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6733.15
where the author removed  'disable_on_airports=NONE' from the couatlAddons.ini file.

This thread is now obsolete, the current version doesn't crash anymore, even if you wrong set the disable_on_airports to "disable_on_airports=" forgetting the "NONE", which was the problem.

I did this by adding rem lines // and when I started FSX couatl appeared again in the menu and the airport was there again.  :)

// are C++ comments, not .INI file comments. Comments in an .INI file should start with a ; people got into the bad habit of using // comments because FSX accepts both of them.

In any case, it doesn't make any difference, since the current version of Couatl doesn't crash anymore for this reason.

When I went back to the ini file the line had been un removed (i.e. the // lines were gone).

Obviously yes, because Couatl recognized the illegal comments, and removed them. The correct line should be simply:

disable_on_airports=NONE

and nothing else.

I put them back in again but now when I start FSX couatl still doesn't appear and there is no scenery

Of course, since the problem didn't have anything to do with the .INI file in the first place.

Before trying to fix a problem, you first need to understand WHY is happening. Try this first:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

If still doesn't work, try this instead:

open the Notepad and type the following on a new blank file:

logFile=couatl.log

(please note logFile is written beginning with a lower case l and a capital F )

Save the file as couatl.ini in the FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl folder, so it stays at the same level of the couatl.exe. Then go in FSX, then when it's done loading the scenery, Exit from FSX and post the content of the Couatl.LOG file that should have been created inside FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:35:47 pm by virtuali »

acra24

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
Hello

I realise that you have to deal with lots of 'idiots' like me but I have spent at least $300 on your products, I'm not a software developer and so would appreciate it if you didn't reply to me as though I should have known about all the things you mention in your post . I thought I had done the right thing by searching all the other threads and trying to fix the problem before asking for your help.  Your products are probably the best airport add on-ons for FSX (IMHO) but I hope you don't mind if I say your customer support is a bit intolerant of non-techy people like me.   

"Of course, since the problem didn't have anything to do with the .INI file in the first place." How was I supposed to know this? I don't write your software and computing is not my job.

I have already done all of what you mention in your reply except creating logFile, but it .  I'm going to reinstall FSX completely from scratch now because I have a full day tomorrow to do it and, as I'm sure you are aware, FSX doesn't seem to work well for more than 3-4 months before it fails in some way. 

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:45:33 am by acra24 »

DrumsArt

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 02:41:32 pm »
Hello

I realise that you have to deal with lots of 'idiots' like me but I have spent at least $300 on your products, I'm not a software developer and so would appreciate it if you didn't reply to me as though I should have known about all the things you mention in your post . I thought I had done the right thing by searching all the other threads and trying to fix the problem before asking for your help.  Your products are probably the best airport add on-ons for FSX (IMHO) but I hope you don't mind if I say your customer support is a bit intolerant of non-techy people like me.  

"Of course, since the problem didn't have anything to do with the .INI file in the first place." How was I supposed to know this? I don't write your software and computing is not my job.

I have already done all of what you mention in your reply except creating logFile, but it .  I'm going to reinstall FSX completely from scratch now because I have a full day tomorrow to do it and, as I'm sure you are aware, FSX doesn't seem to work well for more than 3-4 months before it fails in some way.  

Andrew

Hi Sir,

I do not see where the Umberto support is intolerant. It's actually very tolerant and patient. "Idiots" ? It is you who write that, no other person there or even less Umberto.

He just wrote "the why and the how". Btw if you reinstall FSX every 3 or 4 months it seems you have serious problems with your computer or maybe you don't make the right thing at the right time. I have not too much money by now but if it will change, I promise I give you your 300 bucks (just kidding  ;D).

Have a nice day and nice reinstall !

Check out,

Richard Portier
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:48:06 pm by DrumsArt »
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU Oc @ 4.5GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 PRO 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.1|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|GSX|ORBX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »
would appreciate it if you didn't reply to me as though I should have known about all the things you mention in your post.

I obviously haven't replied in such way (which has been already noted by another user), I've only explained to you what is happening.

I hope you don't mind if I say your customer support is a bit intolerant of non-techy people like me.

Yes, I mind, because this was really uncalled for.

How was I supposed to know this? I don't write your software and computing is not my job.

You got it wrong, again. I haven't replied assuming you "should know", but simply to let you understand what might have happened.

I'm going to reinstall FSX completely from scratch now because I have a full day tomorrow to do it and, as I'm sure you are aware, FSX doesn't seem to work well for more than 3-4 months before it fails in some way.  

I believe my FSX install dates more than 3-4 years, reinstalling FSX every 3-4 months is already an indication something is wrong, or you simply installed too much less then reliable stuff into your system. Not that this is always required, even with a messy installation.

I'd try with the log file first, before reinstalling everything.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:40:28 pm by virtuali »

acra24

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:20:15 am »
Well it's obvious you're not interested in my point of view about your customer support but your latest comment just proves my point. A bit of courtesy goes a long way.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »
Well it's obvious you're not interested in my point of view about your customer support but your latest comment just proves my point. A bit of courtesy goes a long way.

I don't see any sign of missing curtesy in any of my posts which, again, were a simple and plain explanation of the issues and were made for your own good, so you could understand why things are happening.

That you had the wrong impression, was also confirmed by the other user that posted here. This subsequent reply of yours, just proves my point further.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:45:59 pm by virtuali »

Eisbahn

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »
I agree entirely with the remarks from Umberto.
With regard to the support from FSDT, it is a pity that not all addon suppliers offer the same fantastic service.
With regard to acra24, he should take into account that english is not Umberto's mother tongue.
Therefore, it is he who should show more courtesy and tolerance.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:09:11 pm by Eisbahn »

acra24

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »
Thanks for your input. Most helpful. But my comments were meant as constructive rather than defamatory.  I haven't used this forum before to ask for help but, all respect to Umberto for managing to service the needs of worldwide customers.  His English is actually excellent.

BTW, I still think FSDT airports & GSX are a brilliant bit of work, but there are quite a few other FS SW providers out there with excellent customer services too, PMDG is one of them.

And another question for Umberto, if you please.  Is it normal practice to download and install files from the internet with AV turned completely off?  Surely this presents a big risk of virus infection.   I'm not all that comfortable doing this, even from trustworthy sites like yours.

A
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:18:09 pm by acra24 »

acra24

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »
Umberto

First, let me say it wasn't my intention to slight you. Now I know more about you I send you greetings and best wishes.  I think we were 'lost in translation'.

Well, I think it's solved, but in a weird way. I followed your instructions to the letter but went further by unistalling my AV because I still couldn't get it to install the couatl addon manager.  Something occurred to me so I looked in the Scenery Library of FSX and I noticed that none of your sceneries were there even though I'd installed them.  I decided to use Add Area, navigated to the FSDT folder and added KFLL as though it were any 3rd party addon scenery.   I got a message saying, scenery already exists but when I clicked OK KFLL appeared in the Library ticked and at the top. When I clicked OK the Updating DB scroll came up and I started a flight at KFLL. The scenery is all there now and the couatl addon manager is back. All seems ok and I have updated it already.  :)

Is that normal or have I subverted the system somehow?

A

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 am »
Is it normal practice to download and install files from the internet with AV turned completely off? 

No, only if your antivirus is bugged and mistakenly identify our products as threats (or even the whole website, in case is *very* buggy), I never turn off my antivirus, because I use one that doesn't usually generate any false positives, which is the free and always updated Microsoft Security Essentials.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:40 am »
Is that normal or have I subverted the system somehow?

Adding a scenery manually won't cause any problem, provided you remove any double areas if there are any left.

But you shouldn't required to do so, the installer will always add the scenery automatically and if it couldn't, maybe you had a problem with your scenery.cfg, like a syntax error or so, that prevented the installed to add the area automatically. Or, a Windows permissions problem in the scenery.cfg folder that prevented the installer to modify that file.

acra24

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:23:16 pm »
I use Microsoft Security Essentialsand it works perfectly.  I was using Avira but switched about 2 months ago on recommendation from other FSX users.

I suspect it wasn't the cause of the problem. It's more likely, as you suggest, that it was something to do with a scenery.cfg error in FSX. When I first purchased & installed FSDT airports it always installed and added itself to the library automatically. What puzzles me is that when I clicked OK to add it I saw a message that it already existed but only when I clicked ok the activated scenery appeared at the top of the list.  I might try uninstalling it all again and seeing if it happens that way again.

And here's a message for Richard in case you are reading. I will hold you to that offer of $300 if you get mega rich.  ;D

Regards

A