Author Topic: Pushback Suggestion  (Read 15977 times)

tf51d

Pushback Suggestion
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:51:59 am »
I've been looking at videos of pushbacks, and I haven't found one the way GSX does it. Let me explain. GSX after the pushback disconnects the tow bar then returns to the gate in forward motion, pushing the towbar. From all the real world videos I've seen this is not done. Either the the tow vehicle will back itself back to the gate pulling the towbar, or the towbar will be disconnected  from the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle will reverse itself then reconnect at the other end pulling the tow bar. (Usually with the bigger enclosed tow vehicles). Now I know the latter is probably too complicated for FSX (Although it would be some cool animation) Just backing the vehicle back would be possible and more realistic. Here's a real world example

&feature=related

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Pushback Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:53:23 am »
Now I know the latter is probably too complicated for FSX (Although it would be some cool animation)

It's surely quite complex, and that's the reason why we haven't made it. Also because some vehicles don't have a towbar in the first place.

Just backing the vehicle back would be possible and more realistic. Here's a real world example

That might be possible. Note that some vehicles have a reversable driving cabin, so the driver won't have to drive backwards.

KingCat

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:28 pm »
On another note, maybe the direction of the push can be adjusted to a more logical one. And by that I mean that if you choose a left pushback, then it makes sense that the nose of the airplane ends up in the left direction and vice versa. This way it's much easier to remember how you want to end up after the pushback is done.

Jon

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:44 pm »
..if you choose a left pushback, then it makes sense that the nose of the airplane ends up in the left direction..

If you choose a left push, its the tail that goes left, not the nose.  Push left, nose right.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

theshack440

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
..if you choose a left pushback, then it makes sense that the nose of the airplane ends up in the left direction..

If you choose a left push, its the tail that goes left, not the nose.  Push left, nose right.

I happen to agree with that. I feel it is more intuitive to have left push mean tail left and push right means tail right as with that you are actually getting pushed to the left or the right.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

KingCat

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »
I guess this is just personal preference. I would prefer the way I have described it. Maybe it should be considered as an option so everybody can choose his or her own liking.

Jon

boilerbill

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
GSX uses the same logic as the default keyboard turning commands in MSFS, so changing that logic would not be a good idea. (A couple of the popular add-on aircraft have confused this issue by reversing that logic in their built-in pushback features.) As you will recall, in MSFS you press Shift+P to initiate the pushback, then you press 1 to turn left, 2 to turn right. The logic is easy to remember if you ask yourself which direction you would turn the nosewheel to accomplish the desired turn. Turning the nosewheel to the left while reversing causes the tail to turn left, so you would request a left turn in GSX; turning the nosewheel to the right would make the tail turn to the right, so request a right turn in GSX.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

KingCat

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:34:07 pm »
I happen to use AES for the pushback sometimes, and being used to that logic (which is logic in my opinion), it makes it much easier to remember which way you want to end up. Pushback to the left, means you end up facing left and vice versa. Can't be any simpler than that.

But since everybody has his/her own preferences (and logic), I guess it's not really a good topic for debate. Better to make it an option so everybody is happy  :)

Jon

theshack440

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
Maybe it should be considered as an option so everybody can choose his or her own liking.

I think that is definitely a good idea if it is doable on FSDT's part (and enough people express interest). It could be in the GSX menu or something and it would just be inverse output on GSX's part.

Regardless, I'm happy how it is but I can understand if some are confused as the term pushback left or right is naturally ambiguous.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:54 am »
Regardless, I'm happy how it is but I can understand if some are confused as the term pushback left or right is naturally ambiguous.

Which is why, the GSX manual as a diagram explain what Pushback Left/Right means, which can't be misunderstood in any way.

And, as already noted, GSX uses the same convention as default FSX. Since GSX reads the AFCAD for the pushback preference and that is obviously based on the FSX standard (and GSX is the same), reversing it would be VERY confusing, both for users and for scenery developers.

Imagine opening a scenery AFCAD with ADE/AFX and reading a "Left" pushback: if GSX worked in the opposite way, you would need to force yourself thinking "ok, the AFCAD says Left, but this means Right in GSX, or maybe not, depending how I've set my preference".

Sorry, no, this doesn't make any sense, and we also don't have any intention of having to always ask people that report a problem with Pushback "what's your setting for Left/Right", it will be a support nightmare.

So no, the GSX Pushback will remain as it is now, respecting the FSX standard convention.

KingCat

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 03:07:14 pm »
Then AES pushback is the winner for me  :)

Jon

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
Last time I used AES push, it worked the same way.  You select left, the tail goes left.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

theshack440

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »
I'm glad it's not being changed. All I meant was that while the FSX term itself is naturally confusing (prompting the nose left or tail left? question), I am pleased how you and the FSDT team handled it for GSX. You kept it in line with the standard FS settings/commands and that was a good move as it makes it much more intuitive.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »
Then AES pushback is the winner for me  :)

I think I've already explained quite clearly the reasoning behind this: GSX reads the FSX AFCAD, which is made following the FSX standard, so it HAS to follow it too.

That other products has decided to reverse comparing to the FSX standard, is obviously not enough reason to do the same in GSX too.

For those that are confused, we can EASILY change the Pushback LABEL like this:

"Left" might become "LEFT (Tail Left/Nose Right)"
"Right" will be "RIGHT (Tail Right/Nose Left)"

This can be done, but reversing the logic compared to FSX standard, doesn't make ANY sense.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:13:04 pm by virtuali »

KingCat

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »
Last time I used AES push, it worked the same way.  You select left, the tail goes left.

Then you probably have a different version than I have  :D Because if you choose a left pushback in AES, and you're sitting in the cockpit, you end up facing left with the gate on your right side after the push.

Jon