Author Topic: Lost Afterburner Visual Effect After Windows 7-64 Install  (Read 12963 times)

WilliamCall

Lost Afterburner Visual Effect After Windows 7-64 Install
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:00 am »
Title pretty much says it all.  I did a clean install of Windows 7-64 (replacing Vista-32).  Now I've lost the afterburner visual effect.  I checked the effects folder and texture folder, everything appears to be in place.  The aircraft.cfg file looks ok.  Any thoughts on what I may have over looked?  So far, I've come up empty searching the internet.  Thanks in advance!

Letourn

Re: Lost Afterburner Visual Effect After Windows 7-64 Install
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:15 am »
Did you change your FSX setup to DX10 Preview? If Yes, you will loose some external effect with some Airplane.

WilliamCall

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:15:07 am »
Did you change your FSX setup to DX10 Preview? If Yes, you will loose some external effect with some Airplane.

No, I did not change FSX setup to DX10 preview.  Thanks for the reply!  For what it's worth, I also have Dino's F-14 installed.  No afterburner there either.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »
WC...

Do you lose the WHOLE A/B effect? No lights inside the tailpipe, nothing at all? Do you also not get the sound? When you did the clean re-install, did you install any aircraft THEN lose it?

Later
Sludge

WilliamCall

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:45 am »
WC...

Do you lose the WHOLE A/B effect? No lights inside the tailpipe, nothing at all? Do you also not get the sound? When you did the clean re-install, did you install any aircraft THEN lose it?

Later
Sludge

Sludge,
     All good points.  Thanks for posting!  Yes, I lost the entire effect, no lights, no sound, both original Acceleration Hornet and Sludge Hornet.  No, I have not installed any new liveries since the clean install.  I did stumble across a similar posting (circa 2008) where the light bloom switch solved their problem.  I gave that a try last night, no joy.  I also installed new beta video drivers last night, still no joy.

micro

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:52:06 am »
The loss of the effect in multiple aircraft along with the loss of the sound make me wonder if you are actually going into afterburner. It might be a controller problem. You might have already done this, but double-check your engine gauges to make sure. You can also hold down F4 and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm at a loss.

WilliamCall

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:19:48 am »
The loss of the effect in multiple aircraft along with the loss of the sound make me wonder if you are actually going into afterburner. It might be a controller problem. You might have already done this, but double-check your engine gauges to make sure. You can also hold down F4 and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm at a loss.

Micro,
     Thanks!  I'll check it one more time.  I'm pretty happy with my joystick/throttle calibration.  I do get the afterburner thrust effects.  It starts out at 103% N2, then creeps up to 106%.  I'll try F4 and see what happens.

Edit:
Micro,
     You're the man!  I owe you a beer!  With my throttle at idle, I pushed F4.  The afterburner sound and visual effect kicked in.  The instant I touched the throttle, the afterburner effect stopped.  Do I need to re-calibrate my throttle or reset the afterburner threshold?  I have the ThrustMaster A-10 warthog.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:38:39 am by WilliamCall »

micro

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 04:37:30 am »
Hmmmm. Weird. Try running your TARGET software and then using the Device Analyzer to see what information your throttle is sending out. Move the throttle full range and see if it registers on the analyzer. Also, do you have the afterburner detent installed?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:42:30 am by micro »

WilliamCall

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »
Hmmmm. Weird. Try running your TARGET software and then using the Device Analyzer to see what information your throttle is sending out. Move the throttle full range and see if it registers on the analyzer. Also, do you have the afterburner detent installed?

Micro,
     I just ran the Device Analyzer, everything is normal.  I get full range of motion on the throttle, and all the buttons and switches respond as expected.  Yes, I do have the afterburner detent installed.

micro

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22:21 am »
Will, I've tried for the past couple hours to replicate your problem and I can't seem to do it. Try this: Go into the aircraft config for the Sludge. Scroll down to "[TurbineEngineData]". In there change the "afterburner_throttle_threshold" from 0.75 to 0.25 and go fly it. This will cause the effect to happen much earlier in the throttle range and we can then determine if it's your controller or FSX itself.

WilliamCall

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »
Will, I've tried for the past couple hours to replicate your problem and I can't seem to do it. Try this: Go into the aircraft config for the Sludge. Scroll down to "[TurbineEngineData]". In there change the "afterburner_throttle_threshold" from 0.75 to 0.25 and go fly it. This will cause the effect to happen much earlier in the throttle range and we can then determine if it's your controller or FSX itself.

Micro,
     I really appreciate you helping me sort this out.  I set the afterburner threshold to 0.25, afterburner effect works (good visual effects, good sound, super thrust).  So, I conclude that my throttle is not setup properly.  I decided to reflash the firmware, then recalibrate.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to make any difference.  What type of throttle curve are you using?  I've been using a "J-curve" with a control position of 40 and a value of axis equal to 30.  I reduced the control position to 25, but that only made a very small difference.  I'll continue to experiment with the throttle settings.

micro

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »
Will, my pleasure to help you out. I agree it sounds like an issue with the warthog. On my setup I don't use an curves for either the stick or the throttle. In my experience they just tend to be "tricky". I do use a deadzone of "2" in the center of the stick for both the x and y axes, simply because the stick is so sensitive.  I'd recommend removing the curves and just going with a linear axis on both. Also, just make sure you are lifting the throttle up and going past the burner detent.  ;D Let me know if you make any progress and I'll keep trying to replicate your issue.

WilliamCall

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:03:12 am »
Will, my pleasure to help you out. I agree it sounds like an issue with the warthog. On my setup I don't use an curves for either the stick or the throttle. In my experience they just tend to be "tricky". I do use a deadzone of "2" in the center of the stick for both the x and y axes, simply because the stick is so sensitive.  I'd recommend removing the curves and just going with a linear axis on both. Also, just make sure you are lifting the throttle up and going past the burner detent.  ;D Let me know if you make any progress and I'll keep trying to replicate your issue.

Micro,
     I've set the control position and the value of axis for the throttle to their minimum values (that gets me a linear "curve").  If I go into the aircraft.cfg file and set the afterburner threshold to 0.70, the afterburner effect works.  Unfortunately, the engine thrust is too high at idle (N2 is 74%, it should be around 60%).  Also, thrust is too high at max a/b.  I can live with this.  I'm still confused as to why everything worked perfectly when I had Vista-32, but doesn't work the same for Windows 7-64.  Also, I've modified my burner detent such that I don't have to lift the throttle to go into afterburner, I just push the throttle forward with a couple of pounds of extra force and it moves past the detent into afterburner.

micro

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:47 am »
Well now I'm at a loss. I can see how a controller problem can cause a high idle setting, but the trust of the jet should be a fixed value. How you have excessive maximum thrust is beyond me. Anyone else have any ideas?

Herbie

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:33 am »
Hello Micro!
What about using a Module FSUIPC by Pete Dowson at Simflight.com. I paid for mine to have full access. Saitek X52 Joystick, Throttle and Rudder pedals with foot-brake all calibrated with the Module. You may like to go to the Simflight.com Forum first. Herb