Author Topic: Follow Me and taxi ways  (Read 4138 times)

Rajah

Follow Me and taxi ways
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:19 pm »
Should it not be nice that after landing you can not only choose the gate but also the taxiways the Follow Me car has to ride?
With live ATC you don't have the choice the taxiways the Follow Me car chooses.
EFB has something like that.

Frans

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Follow Me and taxi ways
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:27 pm »
Well, the whole point of having a FollowMe, is that you need guidance because you are not familiar with the airport, I don't think it's very realistic the pilot would suggest the path to the FollowMe vehicle.

Rajah

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »
Not the pilot would suggest the path, ATC tells you which taxiways you have to use.

Frans

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »
In that case you would follow the taxiways using an airport map, and don't ask for a FollowMe.

Right now, GSX can't do that, and having an additional interface to select taxiways might be cumbersome and, nothing can guarantee the taxiways the ATC (especially a live controller) will assign to you, will be considered valid by GSX, it would be enough the controller had a map with some layout, and the AFCAD of the scenery was either outdated or too new and if taxiways changed, it would create a mess of misunderstandings.

Rajah

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:36 am »
Well, the whole point of having a FollowMe, is that you need guidance because you are not familiar with the airport.  ;D

Frans

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:02 am »
Well, the whole point of having a FollowMe, is that you need guidance because you are not familiar with the airport.

That's exactly what I've said, that's why it would make any sense that you would have an interface to tell the FollowMe which path to take, when you don't know the airport very well.

If you are going to get a map to instruct the FollowMe, you could well taxi yourself...

As I've said, it can't be guaranteed the taxiways an ATC (especially a live one) assign to you, are going to be found in the scenery AFCAD (the atc controller should know exactly which scenery you installed and which AFCAD is active), and even in that case, the atc can't possibly know if that path would be accepted by GSX, because maybe the path is not contiguous, there are problems with nodes, so GSX would reject it.