Author Topic: Addon <unknown> is causing the Couatl Scripting Engine to restart (SOLVED)  (Read 12365 times)

smithch610

Hello,

I have read through most of the forum posts about my particular error without finding a remedy. Perhaps posting to this forum would allow for feedback / support to point me in the right direction.

I have tried re-installing the addon manager with all firewalls turned off and this is not solving my problem. Can anyone help me?

----

Here is my error:

couatl v2.0 (build 2307)
panic log started on Sat Apr 21 09:24:33 2012
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\__init__.py", line 49, in checkBglmanVersion
  File "couatl\common\liveUpdate.py", line 75, in liveUpdate
  File "couatl\common\preferences.py", line 97, in _setPreference
  File "couatl\common\preferences.py", line 46, in writePreferencesToDisk
IOError: (13, 'Permission denied', u'C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Roaming\\Virtuali\\CouatlAddons.ini')

----

Sincerely,

Chris Smith
Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:23:17 am by smithch610 »

smithch610

Re: Addon <unknown> is causing the Couatl Scripting Engine to restart
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:23 pm »
Note: I only received this problem when I installed the KDFW scenery. I just uninstalled it and the error is gone.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
Nobody ever reported this problem before, because it's really not normal (at all) you don't have permission to write inside your own folder ( Users\\Chris\\AppData\ ).

Try to reinstall the scenery after a Windows reboot. If the problem is still there, it's really something wrong with your user account.

smithch610

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried your suggestion without success. Would this error occur if Couatl had trouble finding my FSX registry entry?

Could you share some insight as to the nature of this error?

Regards,
Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:46 pm »
Would this error occur if Couatl had trouble finding my FSX registry entry?

No.

Could you share some insight as to the nature of this error?

As I've said, the error message says it can't write in YOUR OWN %APPDATA% folder, which is not normal at all. The whole point of using the %APPDATA% folder ( which is C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Roaming\\ in your case ), is that this folder is guaranteed to be ALWAYS writable, on a working Windows installation, by the user account that is running.

It seems your user account has problems, or you have wrong permissions set on your drive. As I've said, it's something that simply shouldn't happen.

Have you done something like reinstalling Windows without reformatting, using the same user name as before the reinstall ?

smithch610

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:46 am »
Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a setting that I can change somewhere that would allow this program to write to the folder? Also, what is supposed to be written to this folder?

Regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:06:38 am by smithch610 »

smithch610

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
Solved my own problem. Changed my app data folder from "hidden" to visible and gave all my accounts full permissions. Thanks for your help!

YAY  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D