Author Topic: Caged vs uncaged  (Read 5692 times)

GOONIE

Caged vs uncaged
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »
Fellow aviators,

Do you fly your case I pattern with the HUD caged or uncaged? Is their NATOPS guidance on when to cage, or is it pilot preference? Sometimes in the break, downwind, and 180/90, I find caging the HUD works better for me, and I can either leave it that way or uncage it when in the groove, thoughts?

Capt.
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Victory103

Re: Caged vs uncaged
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »
Nothing in NATOPS, only that if you do cage it, the ghost VV should still move up to a point. I generally fly with it uncaged to help let me know where the aircraft is going at all times.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:02:30 pm »
CAPT...

I fly with it CAGED throughout the pattern, 'til I turn onto Final Bearing and then I un-CAGE it. I got this technique from the several Y/T videos on carrier landings. You can see the HUD caged and then around 0.8/0.7, it uncages and the ghost v/vector disappears. Personally, I like it, as the caged HUD helps me maintain my visual cues during the pattern but un-caged, I get the spot-on visual cues (v/vector on ship crotch) in the groove.

If you didn't already know, the HUD is fixed to where you can select a button to CAGE/UNCAGE your HUD, just like the jet. Its "cabin alert - seat belts on/off" under the FSX controls. Also, to enable it during flight, you must open the HUD Control Panel (shift-2) at least once. After that, the button will function regardless of panel visibility.

Hope this helps.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:35:41 pm by Sludge »

GOONIE

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:49:41 pm »
Thanks Sludge and Victory,

I fly like you said Sludge, and what you said you saw on youtube, caged in the pattern then uncage in the groove at ball call. I've setup the cage/uncage button on my throttle so I can do this quickly while still flying the jet in FSX, I think I remember in the real superhornet sim the cage/uncage button was on the throttle.

Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."