Author Topic: Next military jet for acceleration  (Read 51363 times)

SUBS17

Re: Next military jet for acceleration
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 02:23:07 am »
Ah, Aerosoft is making the F-16.  I want to see a next-gen fighter such as the F-22 Raptor or the F-35 JSF.

I doubt it would have much on the F-16 in open falcon but the pit and the 3d model look quite nice. They did mention a weapon addon pack in the future which sounds good. I doubt you could model the datalink and other features realistically in FSX. As for F22 and F35 more likely to see those on FS than realistically modeled in a combat sim due to the secrecy over the aircraft and its JHCMS etc.

Speaking of F-16 sim development
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:28:23 am by SUBS17 »

SUBS17

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:15 am »
jimi,

That's what I though when I heard that the acceleration jet was the F/A-18 A only;  Now that I've seen, flown, and pushed all its buttons... I'm singing another tune - Yes!!!!!!  ??? ;D

I am definately interested in an F-14 now questions will it be 2 seater and will they model the INS and rampstart reallistically?

TheRipper

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 08:19:43 am »
THEYVE ALREADY MADE AN F-14 PPLZ! Iris made it, the mejor thing wrong with it is that it goes like 1000KIAS too fast. if it were realistic, you would never get to fly it because it would be grounded 99% of the time

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:41:42 am »
"I am definitely interested in an F-14 now questions will it be 2 seater and will they model the INS and rampstart reallistically?"

....yeah and maybe they will realistically model the Tomcat's stellar reliability and maintainability record as well.  If Microsoft were creating a modern Combat Flight Simulator, I would be all for it as it is a great air-to-air interceptor, but in the Flight Simulator X community, this is really no place for that.  Microsoft picked the hornet because it gives the costumer the best of basic, non-combat, military aviation.  Something powerful (well compared to the other aircraft that are available in Microsoft's lineup), it's very maneuverable (compared to the F-14), it's still being used in today's U.S. Military (well the C,D,E,F and G variants are) and it gives the consumer the opportunity to have fun doing one of the most demanding feats in aviation, landing on a aircraft carrier.  You guys have to remember that FSX is mainly for flying and training in the friendly skies, not combat.  As much as some of you would like to, we cannot shoot Phoenix missiles, drop laser-guided bombs and fire Vulcan cannons from our jets.  With that being said, I feel that Microsoft, along with Captain Sim and FS Dreamteam did an awesome job and made the right decision with the Hornet.  Let the Tomcat R.I.P!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »
it gives the consumer the opportunity to have fun doing one of the most demanding feats in aviation, landing on a aircraft carrier.  You guys have to remember that FSX is mainly for flying and training in the friendly skies, not combat. 

I don't see why, for the same reasons, we couldn't do an F-14, since the F/A-18 it's already done. For the very reason FSX is all about flight training (which is 99% of a flying pilot career anyway), I think many would like to use a different airplane, especially one so famous. Fact that is no longer in service in the US shouldn't really matter, when we did the F4 for Cloud9, nobody complained about that.

The F-22 would have been a great choice as well. But since I don't think we'll ever be able to obtain any meaningful documentation that is needed to model it realistically, I'm not very optimistic about that one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »
THEYVE ALREADY MADE AN F-14 PPLZ! Iris made it

Well, they made a good portion of the worldwide military arsenal out there, if we had to base our decision of what not to do, based on what Iris (or Alphasim, for that matter) did, we wouldn't had much choices left...

Carlo90

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 03:14:53 pm »
Hi, the Tomcat would be fantastic!
However, in my opinion, I'd like most the Starfighter for fsx, just as realistic as the 2004 version (maybe with the -S version).

Razgriz

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41:58 pm »
Lol, Jack, you and the Pro Blue Angels think there going to make an F/A-18B or super hornet?  Please, they've already made there fair share of hornets!  Go talk to Captain Sim.  They would be the ones to make it.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 08:52:26 pm »
Virtuali,

My point is that the Naval Carrier aviation side of the FSX world has already been covered with the Hornet.  Why not venture into some other realm, like combat helos such as the Apache or Cobra maybe? Or maybe the Marine Corps' AV-8B Harrier?  Or maybe even the Texan 2?  The Harrier and its flight characteristics are a little different than most jets and would give the customer a different flight experience (much like the carrier landings of the hornet and the Red Bull Air Races with the Extra 300).  The Texan 2 would be VERY beneficial to all the Naval, Marine Corps, Airforce, and Coast Guard students,future students,"I wanna fly in the military when i grow up" students, since that is the primary joint military trainer for those branches.  It is also used as a multi-national trainer as well.  It is a very popular, beneficial and capable aircraft.  If you make it like you did the Hornet, military flight students/enthusiast as well as turboprop fans from all over the world would be singing your praises.

Razgriz,

I don't think Jack is opting for the creation of the B variant or any other type of Hornet for that matter.  It's been done, no reason to redo what already has been done.  I think he, like myself, realize that the Tomcat is overhyped, overdone, played out, and everything that it could offer to the FSX world has already been covered by the Hornet.  Why not cross over to a different realm of military avaition and give our virtual pilots a different FLIGHT (not combat) experience instead of the same one, but with a Tomcat and Top Gun music playing in the background.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:50 pm »
My point is that the Naval Carrier aviation side of the FSX world has already been covered with the Hornet

Not really, the F/A-18 it's just the current fighter in use, but one can't possibly forget an airplane so famous as the Tomcat, even outside aviation circles.

And, I wouldn't say naval aviation is covered, without having proper representations of an A6, A4 and, why not, the SU-33

The Harrier and its flight characteristics are a little different than most jets and would give the customer a different flight experience

Since FSX doesn't support vectored thrust at all, it wouldn't be a different flight experience: it would be a wrong one. Doesn't make much sense spending 9 months creating an accurate instrumentation and system, without being able to have a proper flight model for it.

The Texan 2 would be VERY beneficial to all the Naval, Marine Corps, Airforce, and Coast Guard students,future students,"I wanna fly in the military when i grow up" students

I don't know...I always had the impression that people using a flight sim want to simply fly with the top birds (like F-16, F-15, F-14, F-18), and not really wanting go through all the intermediate training steps, like real cadets have do. That's an advantage of flight simulation: you can cut corners and pretend being a top gun, the moment you load the package.

However, we did a trainer, the MB339 for Cloud9. It was a reasonably good success but, 99% of the users wanted because of the "Frecce Tricolori", certainly not because it was designed as a trainer...

The Apache wouldn't be a bad idea, because is certainly very well known and satisfying. But the issue is, we don't have much experience with helicopters. Yes, we did the EH-101 gauges for Microsoft, but designing a whole aircraft from scratch is quite different, and I have no problem admitting there's nobody in our team who have the slightest idea about making a flight model for an Apache, or any other helo, for that matter.

The F-14 makes the most sense for us, because it reasonably similar to the F/A-18, so we can hopefully reuse some of the experience we made with it.

If you think "flight experience", the F-14 might allow for the most unique flight experience: shared cockpit, since it'a a two seater. That feature alone would make it an entirely different product comparing to the F/A-18.

Now, the usual disclaimer: this is not a product announcement. As I've said at the start of the thread, this project hasn't started yet, and it will not start until next year. Of course, we would really like to do it properly, and for the F-14 this means networked shared cockpit and FSX allows that. But this is just an idea right now, no promises, we'll need to make our tests, research, etc.

Razgriz

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:51 pm »
Since FSX doesn't support vectored thrust at all, it wouldn't be a different flight experience: it would be a wrong one. Doesn't make much sense spending 9 months creating an accurate instrumentation and system, without being able to have a proper flight model for it.

That would also cut off the F-22.   A Tomcat would be really nice sharing the cockpit with a guy actually in the back with gauges.

micro

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 12:08:52 am »
My vote is for the Tomcat. ;D

JamesChams

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 05:41:57 am »
Dear Virtuali Staff,

I'm with you; gents, for the F-14 Tomcat.

I would like to see it (F-14) in all its glory and versions - A/A+/B/D; with as many "bells and whistles" you can put into it like the fuel probe, FLIR, LANTIRN, GPS, etc. (especially for the D version, which even had fully incorporated A-G guided bombs and night vision helmet mounted gear).

I know that this is not yet in the making.  But I guarantee you that if/when you build it people are going to go crazy; just like they did when the IRIS F-14 first came out for FS9.  But, that bird is only to be a FSX native of the original and there is no telling when the B/D will be out or if it will be bug free.  That is the main reason I'm reluctant to invest in many 3rd party developers; because of support and side-stepping (use of stock gauges or false cockpits, etc).

Thank you FS Dream Team and keep up the good work!

Eagerly waiting for KJFK  ;D
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 01:57:07 pm »
Ok, ok....I see your points about your teams inexperience and Microsoft's flight modeling.  That sucks because i believe the Apache or Harrier would be an awesome investment.  As far as the A-4 and A-6 go, it's the same thing.  It's a jet.....it lands on a boat....it's a challenge.    It's kinda like riding a bicycle.  It can be a 10-speed, 15-speed, or a 21-speed....if i know how to ride one of them, I can probably ride the rest of them. Looks like the only thing that is changing is the wrapping paper that it comes in.  From what it sounds like, I will be getting the same high performance aircraft that can land on a carrier.  The whole selling point about having someone sitting in the back seat.....how long do you think that's going to last?  From what I've noticed on the multiplayer side, the majority of your customers are young men between the ages of 12-17.  Most of these guys dont even have the patience to fly in a formation not alone side in the backseat while the other guy is having all the fun yanking and banking.  The "backseat" idea will work for a couple of flights, but most of your audience will quickly opt for doing the flying themselves vs. sitting in the back.  Which brings us back to the same thing.....a jet...a boat....same challenge.  But I do understand that your company, like Microsoft is a business and it must sell products.  The Tomcat is a very popular aircraft, and I'm sure it will be a great hit much like the current acceleration pack is.  I must admit that I have used Microsoft Flight Sim in the past, but what has gotten me addicted to this one is not the scenery or realism, it's that fact that it finally brought something different to the table instead of the same Cessnas, Learjets and 747s. Microsoft brought it with the Red Bull Air Races and you guys brought it with your Acceleration Pack.  I was just hoping that you guys could keep "changing it up" for a little while instead of possibly becoming a fancier "Abacus Fleet" expansion pack.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

FSXForever

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 06:54:39 pm »
there is gonna be another expansion pack, called adrenaline