Author Topic: Wrong airline service for airplane.  (Read 9040 times)

Alex James

Wrong airline service for airplane.
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
Ok. I have seen this posted many times, but I just don't understand the answers.

Whenever I park at a gate at an airport, the service is done by a different airline than the plane, which looks really bad..

I am a developer of FS products, so I will be willing to do as much as I can do to make it the correct airline. Does it involve scenery configs, or airplane cfgs, or is it primarily in GSX?

Basically, I need this whole thing explained to me like I'm a 5 year old..  :D

Thanks in advance

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: Wrong airline service for airplane.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:35 pm »
The decision of what you get is totally GSX, but if you're flying airline ABC and you're being serviced by XYZ, you're most likely at a gate assigned to XYZ.  In other words, a Pacifica jet using a JetBlue gate will be serviced by JetBlue.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Alex James

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »
The decision of what you get is totally GSX, but if you're flying airline ABC and you're being serviced by XYZ, you're most likely at a gate assigned to XYZ.  In other words, a Pacifica jet using a JetBlue gate will be serviced by JetBlue.
Okay, now you say "jetblue gate", and "xyz gate".

Where are these airline gates specified? In the bgls of the airport?

thanks

theshack440

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:03:08 pm »
Okay, now you say "jetblue gate", and "xyz gate".

Where are these airline gates specified? In the bgls of the airport?

thanks

If you're at a 3rd party airport with added detail, you can tell because the terminal will be assigned to that specific airline. Additionally or otherwise, use ADE to access the BGL and see which airlines are assigned to which gates.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

D_mitris

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:14:06 am »
that really doesn't address the issue.  I think it is a valid arguement that since the last update with the added baggage cart for the front I have been getting strange service.   Example:  Parking at FSDT KORD with marshaller.  Upon deboard I received front baggage from Spirit Air and rear from American Air.   This was for a Delta plane at a Delta parking spot.

This also happened at KDEN when I had Fronteir baggage and Delta stairs. 

I never had these issues before 1.3 update.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:48 am »
I never had these issues before 1.3 update

Are you sure you have installed the latest Live Update ? One of them was made exactly to fix the problem of multiple handling companies at the same time.

DVA8090

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:22 am »
Hello

I am also experiencing this issue.  I checked the AFCAD for the scenery, and it shows the airline for the gate I am parked at to be Delta only.  I also checked that GSX was reading the same AFCAD, which it was.  However, when I loaded up GSX it used Southwest, not Delta.

Any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:39 am »
I am also experiencing this issue.

No, you aren't. You are probably confusing what's this 2-years old thread was about, which was having vehicles from different operators mixed together, which was a very old problem which was fixed years ago.

From your message, instead, it seems you are simply getting Southwest instead of Delta you were expecting.

First, you don't even say WHICH airport you were on but, in any case, as explained on the manual, and as explained many times on the forum too, the atc_parking_codes of the AFCAD are used ONLY to "break ties" in case there are multiple operators assigned to an airport with the same score, the one listed in the atc_parking_codes, will be selected, and there's a tie again, the selection will be random again, between all operators with the same score.

But if an operator is not assigned to an airport in the first place, it won't be used, even if it's listed in the atc_parking_codes.

This is made to prevent operators that are assigned to atc_parking_codes just to do codesharing, especially internationally, or just to flag an international terminal. If we allowed GSX to select between all operators listed with atc_parking_codes, very unrealistic situations will happen, like being serviced by a Lufthansa or Alitalia crew in New York, JUST because the terminal included the parking code, in order to assign those airlines there, when they land.

That's why what GSX is doing right now is the most sensible way: an operator must be allowed to an airport first, and THEN, it looks at the atc_parking_codes to sort out ties amongst multiple candidates which were all allowed to that airport.

DVA8090

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:55:43 am »
The airport in question was KLAX.  I know that the real airport has Delta ground vehicles servicing their planes at their terminal.  I understand a bit more how the selection process works and I thank you for that.  A final question would be, where does GSX look to find what operators are assigned where? or is there a file installed that defines it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:32:29 pm »
Some of this is explained in the GSX manual but, if you want a detailed explanation, have a look at the PaintKit documentation.

Cristiano Mueller

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
Hi Umberto;

I will not open a new topic about this, because I think it fits here. And maybe has already been talked about countless times.

Some time ago I read here in the forum (and I can not find the post, forgive me) about the possibility of choosing the company for the ground services.

I wonder if there's something new in this regard or whether the idea was discontinued.

I ask this because on the weekends, when time (and my wife) allow me, I have the hobby to put my flights on Youtube. Before each flight, I do the setup from the parking area, both in the airport of departure and the arrival.

Just to get on my last two flights, my experience was as follows:

=34m16s

In this flight, when a I did the setup at SBGL, the ground crew was GOL. When I did the flight, the ground crew was TAM. I tried to restart the parking services several times to see if it changed, but not always stood in TAM.

My last video/flight was this:

=36m46s

Again, during the setup at SBBR I had TAM. After landing, I had GOL (as you can see at the rear stairs). No matter what I did, it always restarted on GOL.

So I wonder if there is something you can do about it (other than I become a programmer and stir in AFCAD airports).

I know it might be difficult (or perhaps impossible) this possibility in terms of the GSX menu. But it would not, perhaps, have something in the setup of the parking area?

If you knew how often comment on my videos: "why company "X" is unloading the plane of Company "Y"?

Please forgive me if this question is already enlightened, but I did not find the post that talked about it, or I used the wrong terms (english is not my native language).

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:23 pm »
I will not open a new topic about this, because I think it fits here. And maybe has already been talked about countless times.

Sure it has.

Some time ago I read here in the forum (and I can not find the post, forgive me) about the possibility of choosing the company for the ground services.

I wonder if there's something new in this regard or whether the idea was discontinued.

Nothing new to say, but it hasn't been discontinued for sure. It's just that we are working on a more important feature now ( de-icers ) and bug fixes are always given a top priority.

In this flight, when a I did the setup at SBGL, the ground crew was GOL. When I did the flight, the ground crew was TAM. I tried to restart the parking services several times to see if it changed, but not always stood in TAM.

You were just unlucky in the random selection. I've tried it 3 times, and got a different operator each time, UVAir, TAM and GOL. This using the default airport, that doesn't use atc_parking_codes for parkings so, all operators had equal chance to be selected, because they had the same score.

If you use a 3rd party scenery that has atc_parking_codes for that airport, if a parking has the TAM code but not GOL code, you'll see TAM 100% of the time, if a parking has the GOL code but not the TAM code, you'll see GOL 100% of the time, and if a parking has BOTH, each one will have 50% chance to be selected.

So I wonder if there is something you can do about it (other than I become a programmer and stir in AFCAD airports).

There's no problem at all, what you are reporting is normal behavior, check your parking codes, and understand how the scoring works. Random numbers are not "fair", you might well be unlucky and get the same operator 10 times in a row, even with a 50% chance. Not likely, but possible.

But it would not, perhaps, have something in the setup of the parking area?

This has been explained countless of times on the forum, and is explained in detail in the PaintKit documentation, that will explain how to change airport assignments for all GSX vehicles, by editing their SIM.CFG files.

If you knew how often comment on my videos: "why company "X" is unloading the plane of Company "Y"?

Now you are mixing up two things:

1) The fact you didn't get the operator you expected, which might have been a problem of the parking you chose ( how the atc_airline_codes were programmed in the scenery ) or just bad luck of not getting the one you wanted, even with the equal chance it might have.

2) The concept of linking the livery of YOUR airplane, to the choice of operators.

The two are entirely separate issues and, the 2nd one has been ALSO explained many times on the forum. Regardless of what the commenters on YouTube might think, linking your own airplane livery to the operator choice is wrong, for the following reason:

The ground operators are something offered by THE AIRPORT, and they don't change if you arrive with a different airline. They are a function of the parking and they change depending on the parking, and this is how GSX correctly assign them.

It's you that, depending on the airline you use, are supposed to select a parking depending on your airline. And, if the scenery AFCAD has been done correctly, if you go in the area dedicated to your airline, those parking should have its atc_airline_codes set, so GSX will boost its score and everything will work as expected.

If your own airline had any effect in the choice of the operator, it would cause the livery you are flying to unrealistic affect the availability of operators regardless of your selected parking, when they are instead related to the airport terminals. User will then start to complain what the TAM ground crew is doing at the GOL parking stand: just because you arrived in a TAM parking using a GOL airline, doesn't mean your crew has took over the competitor's terminal...

As explained many times already, this would look even more wrong when flying internationally: an AFCAD for JFK, for example, will surely have many parkings assigned to european operators like Lufthansa, Alitalia, etc, because they would use their code-sharing partners like United, Continental, and park in those spaces. But if GSX considered your own livery to select the operator, you would start seeing a Lufthansa ground crew at JFK if you arrived with a Lufthansa livery, and that would look very wrong.

As I've said, ground crew are a function of the AIRPORT and the PARKING, the airline YOU are flying shouldn't have any effect on their choice. The parking does, because you are SUPPOSED to park in a place that has your own airline code so, to continue the previous example, if you landed at JFK with your Lufthansa airplane, you should probably go to the United area, the code-sharing partner for Lufthansa, so you'll likely be served by United, which looks logical.

This means, the scenery designer, or you, CAN affect how GSX assign operators at gates, by acting on the scenery AFCAD parking codes. Want to create an area reserved to GOL at SBGL ? Select one or more parkings in an AFCAD editor, like ADE, and be sure you don't have any of the TAM codes there.

But, there IS one thing (which is ALSO explained BOTH in the Manual AND was discussed on the forum, many times already) in GSX which IS affected by your own livery, and it's the texture of the cargo ULD containers. It's made this way, so you will be sure that the SAME containers you loaded on departure will be unloaded at arrival.  Of course, in order for this to work, your own airplane must have the atc_parking_code correctly set in its Aircraft.CFG, otherwise the choice will be again between the operators allowed at the airport.

We might still add the feature to select the operator from a menu of candidates, but they will still be the same as they are now: linked to the AIRPORT, and NOT to your own livery.

Cristiano Mueller

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:51:54 am »
Thank you for your answer, Umberto.

Best regards
Cristiano Mueller