Author Topic: DEFAULT choice for GSX- NO AIRSTAIRS!!  (Read 15027 times)

rsm2000e

• B738 Pilot AAL-211 YouTube Channel rsm2000e
    • Visit my YouTube Channel today!
Re: DEFAULT choice for GSX- NO AIRSTAIRS!!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:14 pm »
I can say that in the USA, I've never seen the back door open and airstairs attached in a gate that had a Jetway.  I have seen the right front door open a few times (catering?) but I'm not sure why.  I think security within the airports here in the US is very tight and they don't want to chance a passenger getting down onto the runway surface for ANY reason (by accident or on purpose) UNLESS there are NO JETWAYS like in some of the Hawaii airports and smaller US Airports (which usually are using local commuter jets and GA instead of the heavy-metal planes).  At any rate, if I could choose to NOT have the rear airstairs present on any gate that had a jetway, I would do so, and that's why I suggested it to Umberto.  GREAT PRODUCT though!

eastern

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:21 pm »
In the US, United used rear air stairs on Shuttle by United and TED. Since the flights were quick turns at some of the airports they would board and de-board through the rear and front at the same time (KLAX). Southwest was another airline I’ve seen rear stairs used during cabin cleaning only. The stairs were small and pushed up manually to the rear exit and pulled after cabin cleaning was done. I’ve only seen SW use the stairs at smaller airports. 
Lufthansa uses rear stairs also in the US during fueling and cleaning. It seemed the rear stairs would be removed after the fueling was done. Take into account the aircraft I’ve seen this used on were the B-747 and A340-600. I have seen this at KIAD and KLAX. One airport that I have not seen LH using the rear stairs is in KDEN.
Anyways, the rear stair in the simulator for me is added visual animation. Besides it would be lonely back their without it.

johndrago

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »

If he drops one arm and raises the other, you move towards the raised arm until both go up.   ;)

It's the opposite. You move towards the 'lowered and stationary' or pointed arm until both arms go up.

How about this from the manual  ;)

theshack440

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:59:07 am »
I can say that in the USA, I've never seen the back door open and airstairs attached in a gate that had a Jetway.  I have seen the right front door open a few times (catering?) but I'm not sure why.  I think security within the airports here in the US is very tight and they don't want to chance a passenger getting down onto the runway surface for ANY reason (by accident or on purpose) UNLESS there are NO JETWAYS like in some of the Hawaii airports and smaller US Airports (which usually are using local commuter jets and GA instead of the heavy-metal planes).  At any rate, if I could choose to NOT have the rear airstairs present on any gate that had a jetway, I would do so, and that's why I suggested it to Umberto.  GREAT PRODUCT though!

Since I live in the US, I have come to the same conclusion (for the most part). Regardless the reason, I have seldom seen rear stairs put up when there is a jetway in. I feel that a global option to disable/re- enable them wouldn't be too difficult to add to the already in place customization tool.

While I understand that in Europe it may be standard procedure, in the US I feel it is more of a rarity and thus we should at least have an option to disable them.

But I am not the developer so I can't be calling the shots... it is just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:35:17 am by theshack440 »
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

Orion

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:10 am »
Still agree with rsm2000e and theshack440.  Here in the US, I've never seen the rear stairs used, and an option to disable it (either globally or regionally) would be nice.

Umberto does have a point that would look strange otherwise, though.  With FSX doors opening both forward and aft right doors at once, it would be strange to have one door just open.  I'm not sure what's the deal for water/lavatory services, though, as (from what I understand) they typically have ports on the exterior for the "blue juice" and potable water.  Galley services are taken care of by catering and cabin cleaning by the ground crew (meaning at the gate, not literally on the tarmac).