Author Topic: Cannot get GSX to work - help needed please.  (Read 11235 times)

upquark

Cannot get GSX to work - help needed please.
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »
Following the positive things I had read about this product, I decided to buy it. So far, I must have spent about 4 hours trying to get it a) installed and b) working.

I have followed all the guidance in the forum with regard to antivirus etc etc, have reinstalled that many times I have lost count now and frankly, regretting the purchase.

I have had the messages yesterday - Anyway, I battled on and it "seemed to work" late last night. I had both drop down menus in FSX etc and I was able to call for catering.

Have now turned FSX back on and guess what? only the addon manager drop down is there! Where has the GSX munu disappeared to?

An help appreciated before I put this one down to a bad experience.

Cheers

Steve

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cannot get GSX to work - help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:48:42 pm »
The first error message has been discussed many times in the forum, and it means you launched the installer too quickly without giving enough time to FSX to close down entirely and release all locks on files. As suggested in all other threads, is fixed by rebooting Windows and reinstalling.

The second message clearly say to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, but it's possible is related to the first one, as a result of an incomplete installation, because of the above problem.

upquark

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:05:59 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have installed (several times) the stand alone manager - still the problem exists. Again, I have followed the adviced about re-booting etc - the fact is though it still will not work on my machine.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »
Sorry, but your description of the problem is not at all clear. WHAT problem still exists ?

The error 5 "access denied" after a Windows reboot, the Couatl menu missing, or the "Couatl engine has a fatal error" error window ?

The first can't really happen after a Windows reboot.

The second might be caused by the antivirus

The 3rd can only be caused by an old version of the Couatl program, but at least is showing the Couatl IS running, otherwise it wouldn't able to give the message in the first place. But even this might be caused by the antivirus, which is possibly blocking the download of the current version of the Couatl.exe program, so you are stuck with an old one, which works but doesn't work with GSX.

In this case, Download and Install the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX, as suggested here:

TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Install the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

upquark

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
The problem that still exists is that the GSX menu has disappeared overnight - without me doing anything. Therefore unable to use the program. As stated before, I was able to use GSX last night - but now suddenly, the drop down menu has just gone. Your advice re-antivus was followed yesterday - still no joy.

In an effort to resolve this could I ask you to provide step-by-step instructions on how to uninstall whatever is left of GSX and then to do a complete fresh install. Many thanks. Steve
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:04:38 pm by upquark »

GundamWZero67

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:07 pm »
Yeah.... same here, however I had GSX to work one time.... then when I go to use it again, "Poof".....

It isn't there. I can go to the add-ons tab and see GSX installed and active, but when I press crtl+F12, nothing happens.

Edit I just tried to install the Stand Alonne Addon Manager, thinking that it will solve the GSX problem, and I get the same thing upquark is getting as well; An Code 5 error.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:18:47 pm by GundamWZero67 »

upquark

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:18:37 pm »
glad to know it isnt just me then.... bloody frustrating isnt it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »
The problem that still exists is that the GSX menu has disappeared overnight - without me doing anything.

There isn't any GSX menu, you mean the *Couatl* powered menu. But, as I've said, you also posted a screenshot of the "Couatl has generated an error" message and that IS generated by Couatl so, either you are seeing that error, so it means Couatl is running OR you are not seeing its menu, which means Couatl is NOT running, but then you shouldn't see the error either. Please, clarify your current situation.

provide step-by-step instructions on how to uninstall whatever is left of GSX and then to do a complete fresh install

This IS an entirely fresh install:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

GundamWZero67

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
I will uninstall the program and reinstall it to see if it fixes the problem.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »
Edit I just tried to install the Stand Alonne Addon Manager, thinking that it will solve the GSX problem, and I get the same thing upquark is getting as well; An Code 5 error.

As I've said in the previous message, that error message has been discussed many times in the forum, and it means you launched the installer too quickly without giving enough time to FSX to close down entirely and release all locks on files. As suggested in all other threads, is fixed by rebooting Windows and reinstalling.

It's possible the reason why the Couatl menu doesn't show, it's because, just as you launched the installer too quickly, you also exit from FSX too quickly then relaunch it too soon, so the Couatl.exe process didn't get a chance to close, so it was stuck from the previous session.

As I've said, in several other threads as well, this should be fixed either by rebooting Windows, or by checking if the Couatl.exe process is still running with the Task Manager before launching FSX, and terminating manually if it does.

upquark

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
Current situation is that there is no couatl menu  - although there was yesterday. I have the manager menu which says that GSX is installed and registered.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »
Please read my last post. About "current situation", I asked if you were STILL getting the error you posted the screenshot of.

upquark

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »
Getting no errors reported at all.

GundamWZero67

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »

As I've said in the previous message, that error message has been discussed many times in the forum, and it means you launched the installer too quickly without giving enough time to FSX to close down entirely and release all locks on files. As suggested in all other threads, is fixed by rebooting Windows and reinstalling.

It's possible the reason why the Couatl menu doesn't show, it's because, just as you launched the installer too quickly, you also exit from FSX too quickly then relaunch it too soon, so the Couatl.exe process didn't get a chance to close, so it was stuck from the previous session.

As I've said, in several other threads as well, this should be fixed either by rebooting Windows, or by checking if the Couatl.exe process is still running with the Task Manager before launching FSX, and terminating manually if it does.

Sorry, but I am doin this with FSX shut down.... It has been down for now 15 minutes and I am still getting the error.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:20 pm »
Sorry, but I am doin this with FSX shut down.... It has been down for now 15 minutes and I am still getting the error.

That FSX is shut down now, doesn't mean it wasn't shut down too quickly earlier, the first time you saw the message.

As I've said in the previous message, this should be fixed either by rebooting Windows, or by checking if the Couatl.exe process is still running with the Task Manager before launching FSX, and terminating manually if it does.