Author Topic: GSX gone! Again..  (Read 7310 times)

TuiflyX3

GSX gone! Again..
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:46:17 pm »
installed the update..courtl update..and runned fsx and gsx without problems..then started fsx new..tried to fly and GSX was just gone?! no in the alt bar and not in the shift+f12 option, whats wrong with GSX???

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: GSX gone! Again..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:52:08 pm »
Nothing, it's control F12, not shift.   ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

TuiflyX3

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:04 pm »
Nothing, it's control F12, not shift.   ;D

yeah yeah i know the commando.. i meant control ...but its gone. in the fsx alt bar only "addon manager" the rest is gone..

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »
If the Couatl menu is missing, that's obviously nothing "wrong" with GSX, both because Couatl is used by all sceneries, it's not specific to GSX, and before if it's missing, it's always because of something else.

Most likely is the antivirus, as explained many times, install it this way:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

TuiflyX3

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
well thats a lot of work for a 37 euro product, but i will try tomorrow! thanks  ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:21:54 pm »
well thats a lot of work for a 37 euro product, but i will try tomorrow! thanks  ;)

I don't know how much you paid your antivirus but, since the culprit is (most likely) the antivirus, you should blame THAT one, for not doing its job, which is protecting from real threats WITHOUT interfering with programs that aren't.

All that "work", is only needed if your antivirus is one of the defective ones that use questionable heuristic (= highly unreliable) methods to detect threats, and not of all of them are like this.

The *free* MS Security Essentials, for example, doesn't mistakenly recognize any of our products as threats, and doesn't require any configuration.

Bob Savo

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:44:15 am »
Hi Guys, I have your Fll and your DFW scenery and love it. I like your GSX ideas but it has a mind of its own. Both of the sceneries run great for weeks now. But since I installed GSX I have the buildings one day and there gone the next. I do a sytem reboot and all works well again. Today it was working fine and now this evening GSX is not working in my KPHX scenery, so I wanted to check if my DFW
scenery got messed up again. It did. What do you think I should do? I have Norton Anti Virus. Win 64 and my video card is up to date. Thanks,    Bob

pete_auau

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:32:44 am »
Hi Guys, I have your Fll and your DFW scenery and love it. I like your GSX ideas but it has a mind of its own. Both of the sceneries run great for weeks now. But since I installed GSX I have the buildings one day and there gone the next. I do a sytem reboot and all works well again. Today it was working fine and now this evening GSX is not working in my KPHX scenery, so I wanted to check if my DFW
scenery got messed up again. It did. What do you think I should do? I have Norton Anti Virus. Win 64 and my video card is up to date. Thanks,    Bob
one  solution is  to  get  rid of  norton  heard  so many   people having  problems   using  the norton anti  virus,    do  as  what  was explained  in the  above  post 

TuiflyX3

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
virtuali could you maybe explain why GSX just appears again? i didnt do anything. and then GSX was just there again..i guess next time i load fsx it disappears again..caused maybe by the antivir software, too?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
I really don't know, we even have heard reports from users that some antivirus block files even when they are off and with the file excluded, and they managed to fix it only by uninstalling the antivirus entirely.

Which is what I would do immediately too, if my antivirus started to block files when disabled or when I've explicitly excluded them from scanning...

We can only suggest using less invasive products, like the free MS Security Essentials, which is always kept updated, is very easy to use, doesn't ever expires, and doesn't mistakenly identify our products as threats to begin with, so it doesn't require any configuration.

Bob Savo

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:09 pm »
I tried the insert of the two files into Norton antivirus as above. I had a do not scan on my flightsimx anyway before,and that does not seem to be the problem. I have found that if I started a marshall follow me  at DFW and then exited FSX before it finished its route I would lose GSX next time and my DFW and FLL buildings are gone. If I restart my computer on ending there is a message that programs from couatl has to close first and wait a second for ending. After a restart my buildings were back and GSX worked again. So something in your program was still running at least 30 minutes after FSX closing.      Bob Savo

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:27 pm »
So something in your program was still running at least 30 minutes after FSX closing.

That's not a problem of the Couatl.exe itself, but it's usually caused by other addons that don't use Simconnect cleanly, there was another post of a user that found this problem was caused by a 3rd party joystick driver in the EXE.XML.

Sometimes it can be fixed by rearranging the loading order of the modules in the EXE.XML file, located here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML