Author Topic: GSX Installer Conflict FSX/P3D  (Read 6148 times)

Highiron

GSX Installer Conflict FSX/P3D
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:24 am »
Hi Umberto.

I installed GSX into Prepar3D and it appeared the installation had gone correctly. I then tried to use the services at KLAX within Prepar3D and the only option after CTRL + F12 was to request a gate, even though I was parked at ramp. There were no other options available. I went looking for a manual and could not find it anywhere. I looked in the GSX file and there was no manual there. GSX did not seem to be working in KLAX in Prepar3D so I ran a test.

I ran the installer again, this time for FSX. It ran the same, but appeared to be showing additional installations I did not see with Prepar3D. After it was complete, I located the manual in the FSX GSX installation folder as well as an additional "SOUND" folder that never appeared in the Prepar3D installation.

I decided to un install the Prepar3D version to attempt a re-install. Through the CONTROL PANEL I selected FSdreamteam GSX. My first concern is with FSdreamteam products, their is no distinction between installations in Prepar3D or FSX within the Add/Remove Programs panel. Since some add-on's for Prepar3D currently require the installation of FSX, conflicts are beginning to appear. When I selected "UNINSTALL" I was prompted if I wanted to uninstall the components from Prepar3D, which I selected *yes* to. After the process was finished, the icon was removed from the Add/Remove Programs listing, but further still it removed only some of the files, and only the ones partially removed were within the FSX installation.  The files in Prepar3D seem unchanged. I now have partial files in both Prepar3D and FSX, and no un-installer present within the Add/Remove Programs menu. I have run into the same problem when installing and un-installing the Addon Manager. Although I am prompted between Prepar3D and FSX, it is not properly running a separate un-install process. It so far seems changing one, affects the other, particularly when it comes to the *Uninstall* option, and leaves the user with no further un-install options fort the remaining installation.

Is there any way to get the installers to create separate icons within the Add/Remove Programs menu for Prepar3D and FSX for ALL programs associated with FSDT products? Currently there is only *one* icon for each separate program, airports, GSX, Addon Manager, etc etc, as the process of which program to un-install from seems to be messed up.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Installer Conflict FSX/P3D
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:26:23 am »
I ran the installer again, this time for FSX. It ran the same, but appeared to be showing additional installations I did not see with Prepar3D. After it was complete, I located the manual in the FSX GSX installation folder as well as an additional "SOUND" folder that never appeared in the Prepar3D installation.

That's not what's happening here: I've just run the GSX installer in Prepar3d (not that this wasn't tested already but, I never know...) and it correctly installs all the folder, the sounds folder is there and the manual is there too.

It's possible you confused the GSX installer and the Addon Manager installer. They looks similar and install similar files, but a difference would be exact that the Addon Manager installer wouldn't install exactly the sounds and the GSX manual.

Through the CONTROL PANEL I selected FSdreamteam GSX. My first concern is with FSdreamteam products, their is no distinction between installations in Prepar3D or FSX within the Add/Remove Programs panel

It's an automatic behavior of the installer program we use, the Uninstaller is created automatically with the list of files to remove at *install* time so, if the last *installer* you ran was for FSX, it would remove all the files installed the last time.

To fix this and have two separate icons, we should create a separate P3D installer, which would be exactly the same, save for the name...I'll try to see if there's a way to prevent this.

In any case, once you know this, if you want to uninstall from both sims, you should do this:

- Install in Prepar3D, then Uninstall immediately thereafter.

- Install in FSX, then Uninstall immediately thereafter.

This will clean both installations, now you can reinstall in any of your choice.

Highiron

Re: GSX Installer Conflict FSX/P3D
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:38 pm »
I don't think I ran the Addon Manager installer, but I do recall I had some difficulty first downloading the GSX installer, as it was not yet on the product page, and selecting the GSX image on the home page linked to no where. In fairness, I did download the current installer on the GSX page yesterday before installing the FSX test that I conducted, so it's possible the old previous installer just didn't complete the P3D installation. I un-installed both FSX and P3D versions yesterday, and re-installed for Prepar3D, and with the current installer everything is now present, so the current one works fine.

Thank's for the heads up on the install and un-install process regarding the two platforms. After your explanation, it is now clear how the un-installer and installer are working. After a successful install into FSX I then selected the un-install process from the "Add/Remove Programs" menu. It then prompted if I wished to un-install GSX and all it's components from Prepar3D. I selected yes. Given your information of what it wants to do and what I selected it to do, sent the process into a tail spin. I have it all cleaned up now, so all is good. I'll use the same advise for the Addon Manager as well as the same process occurs there as well.

Thanks again for your outstanding support.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler