Author Topic: Cannot install..... AGAIN **SOLVED**  (Read 18809 times)

prdant

Cannot install..... AGAIN **SOLVED**
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »
I purchased the GSX product and was unable to install the couatl addon. Umberto worked with me and finally another user suggested the stand alone addon manager which cured the issue. I used it as a test at YSSY and found it quite nice. Today I loaded a flight fromKLAX - KLAS and it was there in the dropdown. I have reopened FSX just now and the couatl addon is gone. I have re-installed three times now with no success. I am a patient man but I am 65 now and running out of time. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:24:38 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cannot install..... AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
You shouldn't reinstall whenever you have a problem, let alone three times, I don't know how you fixed your previous issue but, the last report I have from you was this one:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5775.msg51780#msg51780

That seems to indicate Couatl.exe was missing from your disk, and perhaps it's the usual antivirus error, that has removed it. No amount of reinstallation can fix this, if you don't act on your antivirus properly, it can keep cause problems.

As I've already explained in the previous thread, the correct reinstallation procedure when your antivirus is at fault, is as follow:

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

Even if the antivirus WAS already configured to exclude the files from scanning, you STILL have to turn it off when downloading and installing, because those exclusion are only valid in the FSX folder, but the antivirus can still block the program when its being installed.

prdant

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:49 am »
Thanks Umberto, I have followed your instructios to a tee and as of now I still have no couatl addon. For the one hour it did work it was quite nice.... I for one am stumped. I may try rebooting my PC but  I am doubtful that this is an issue

prdant

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:49 am »
Sorry to say that this was unsuccessful as well. I get all of the choices to answer yes to but it just doesn't work for me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:43:53 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:23 am »
try to enable The Simconnect diagnostic mode: open notepad, and copy the following text:

[SimConnect]
level=normal
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, that should tell what's going wrong. Let me know what you are getting, so we can have an idea what's happening.

Only the first few lines are important: if the window scrolls too fast, you can use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to pause the scrolling. Post here only the first 10 lines or so of the diagnostic, but it's important you post the first 10 lines.

prdant

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:55:53 am »
Thanks Umberto, I will try this tomorrow.

prdant

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »
Thanks Umberto, I will try this tomorrow.

After looking at the installation Guide I do not see any mention of Windows 7 64bit. Since I am having the install issue could Windows 7 be the issue?? Grasping at anything now, still plan to run the simconnect script later today.
Thanks

mseiwald

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »
I'm using it on Win7 64Bit with no problems at all.

prdant

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:55:32 pm »
Thanks, back to the drawingboard.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
After looking at the installation Guide I do not see any mention of Windows 7 64bit.

That's what most users have, and what we use too.

prdant

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »
Thanks, I suspected as much. Besides adding the .dll and exe to my firewall allow list, any other virus protection tips?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »
Thanks, I suspected as much. Besides adding the .dll and exe to my firewall allow list, any other virus protection tips?

Have you tried enabling the simconnect diagnostic ?

prdant

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:28 pm »
I will try after work, darn work interfering with fun.
This is what I posted back from the last time on Feb 10th

It is hard to catch becaue the first lines deal with PMDG. But after several tries I did manage to get
0.28917 Exe Launch Failed: GetLastError=0x000000D8 Path="fsdreamteam\couatl\couat1.exe" CommandLine=""
1.47103 DLL Loaded: Path="bglmanx.dll" Version=2.9.0.1"

Hope this points to something

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »
I read that one, but I would like to get an updated report with the most current version. Are you using the Ati Tray Tools perhaps.

prdant

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:14 pm »
I saw that post too, not that I know of. I don't have a ATI video card, I have:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB GDDR5

I sure we'll figure it out, you have been very helpful.