Author Topic: Jetway details don't appear from a distance. Low FPS  (Read 8397 times)

JaJatheJetPlane

Jetway details don't appear from a distance. Low FPS
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:18:16 am »
Hi Virtuali,

I currently have the latest version of KLAX. I have a small issue with the jetways. Jetway details such as the stairs, wheels, supports, and the HSBC logo don't appear until you are at a very close distance. They disappear as soon as I push back from the gate and get further away from the terminal building. The "small part reject radius" is set to 1, so I don't think that is causing my problem. I also think this problem is at my FSDT KLAS scenery as well.

I'm not sure if these two problems are related, but I also get extremely low, unstable FPS at FSDT airports, particularly KLAX, not so much KLAS.
Do you have any suggestions for stabilizing the FPS a little?

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Jetway details don't appear from a distance. Low FPS
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:25 am »
The details disappearing with the distance are just LOD levels, to keep the fps *up*, and are also related to your zoom level. If use a very wide setting, they'll disappear earlier, we usually optimize for a zoom level of about 0.70, which is widely considered the most realistic one.

KLAX might be a bit heavy with not so powerful systems, but it's very fast on fast systems, one setting that might affect performance is the HD Textures, you can try turning it off and see if makes a difference.

Of course, if you are running with lots of AI, considering the size and the number of parking spots at KLAX, the real slowdown it's caused by AI, not the scenery.

JaJatheJetPlane

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:01:55 pm »
I actually never use AI traffic since I always fly online. Offline though, even with no AI traffic, I have really unstable FPS jumping around from 10 - 4 Frames/sec. I usually average a stable 25-30 FPS, and I also consider my computer to be decently fast. I did notice a large decrease in FPS after installing REX. Does REX cause problems with KLAX/KLAS. I also have FlightBeam's KSFO.

I also disabled the HD textures and didn't nnotice a huge difference.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:04:45 pm »
I have really unstable FPS jumping around from 10 - 4 Frames/sec.

It's not unstable, it's very slow too. What happens with a default airplane ? Try putting it down the Scenery Complexity slider, the rest of the L.A. downtown area is very heavy on fps, if your fps is much better when looking the airport in the direction of the ocean, and it drops down when you see the downtown, it's probably the default scenery behind.

JaJatheJetPlane

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:47:55 am »
I have noticed that the framerates are WAY better with default aircraft. Anyway to improve FPS with payware planes? I almost always use the feelthere e-jets. That's what i've been testing it with.

Thanks Umberto

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:04:21 am »
I have noticed that the framerates are WAY better with default aircraft. Anyway to improve FPS with payware planes? I almost always use the feelthere e-jets. That's what i've been testing it with.

Other than purchase those that have a reputation for being well optimized, not much. The absolute fps champion for payware liners is the Flight1 MD-80 Pro, it's just as fast as a default airplane. However, it doesn't reach the graphic quality of Captain Sim or PMDG, which are of course more demanding. CLS are also very good performers, but are not very detailed either.

JaJatheJetPlane

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:29:47 am »
I'll check out that md-80. Thanks for the help

JaJatheJetPlane

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:34:48 am »
Wow...I just tried turning off road vehicle and boat traffic. Now i'm getting about 25 FPS instead of 10-4. Absolutely amazing difference.

Is this normal?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:35:34 am »
Wow...I just tried turning off road vehicle and boat traffic. Now i'm getting about 25 FPS instead of 10-4. Absolutely amazing difference.

Is this normal?

Yes, at KLAX, those large freeways in the default scenery are able to generate an extremely large number of moving cars.

dmbusmc

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Is this normal?

Thanks

In addition to what Umberto said, the FSX road traffic takes a considerable amount of FPS out of the equation, anywhere. They were poorly done regarding optimization, and can really, really wreck large areas, especially with two or more freeways within loading distance. You can probably keep the boat traffic, as it is the road traffic that is the main destroyer of frame rates.

JaJatheJetPlane

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:39 pm »
Yeah, I would expect road traffic to kill fps but the thing is that I only had it set to 5%. So for some reason cars just destroy my frame rates