Author Topic: Parking at FSDT's KORD airport  (Read 5015 times)

boilerbill

Parking at FSDT's KORD airport
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »
    I have two questions, both of which are illustrated in the attached screenshot.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/boilerbill/B737atKORDGateF10.jpg

• I've been having a bit of a disagreement with the marshallers recently when I taxi into a parking spot. In the illustrated case, I requested Gate F10 at KORD while I was taxiing in. I followed the marshaller's commands and stopped exactly where he told me to stop via the crossed batons signal. Clearly, something isn't quite right since I'm still several feet from the B737 mark on the ground. It's the 2nd one beyond the nose gear, or the 3rd one out from the building. I have had similar problems at many airports, both default and payware. Very rarely am I directed to park on the marked parking spot. Instead, the marshaller has me park 10-30 ft (3-10 m) from it. Sometimes I'm stopped short of the mark, sometimes beyond it. In a few cases, I was stopped a few feet laterally from the yellow line. And sometimes when I'm perfectly centered on the yellow line with the nose gear sitting on the T and the main gear equally spaced from the line, I'm told that I parked the aircraft "askew".

I have tried 4 different aircraft — the iFly 737NG (shown), the Super 80 Pro, the Level-D 767-300, and FlightSim Lab's Concorde X — all with similar results. I have also used a few different airports — KIND (Blueprint), KORD (FSDT), KLAX (default), KSTL (default), and KDFW (default). I keep the AFCADs as current as possible for all default airports, especially those that I fly into regularly. I've checked the contents of the AFCADs, especially for the gates that I've used, and everything seems fine. Is this just something that I just need to live with, or can I do something about it?

• Notice that the "default" ground equipment is shown in addition to the GSX equipment, which made it way too crowded around the gate. Although this shot was taken after both baggage carts had driven away, the GSX drivers had to pass through the default baggage cart to leave the area. I was under the impression that the GSX equipment should be the only equipment at the gate, especially since KORD is another FSDT product. Or did I misunderstand something?

Neither of these is a make-or-break issue that would cause me to stop using GSX. But they are both annoying, especially the first one.
[/list]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:25:43 pm by virtuali »
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Parking at FSDT's KORD airport
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:30:41 pm »
As explained in other threads, GSX will instruct to park the center of the airplane (the red cross you see in Top-Down View) in the center of the parking as defined by the AFCAD. This will not necessarily match the scenery lines. GSX HAS the ability to fine tune this for each parking, and we used in some sceneries (KDFW, KLAX) but not at KORD, we'll might update the scenery in the future, especially after we'll release the scenery editor.

The default equipement is removed when you select a parking but, if you play with time acceleration, it will be recreated again by FSX and, in that case, it will not be removed again by GSX.

Some of the ground equipement is not default animated ground vehicles, but static ground vehicles that comes with the scenery. These can't be removed like regular ground objects automatically. Later sceneries like KDFW and KLAX has been designed in a way that GSX can remove those objects, but not KORD. However, if you use the most current version of it, some ground objects have been removed to make space for GSX ones.

boilerbill

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:02 am »
Thanks for the information, Umberto. Since the correct position for each individual aircraft seems to be a bit unpredictable, perhaps a future update could add the ability for a pilot to accept/decline the use of a marshaller, the same way we can accept/decline a Follow Me truck.

Your answer to the 2nd question surprised me. I had no idea there is so much variety in the FSDT airports. I assumed they all are "built" to the same standards, but I guess not. Do you know KORD is to be upgraded to the same standards as KLAX and KDFW?
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:37 am »
Do you know KORD is to be upgraded to the same standards as KLAX and KDFW?

I thought this should have answered that:

we'll might update the scenery in the future, especially after we'll release the scenery editor.

This for the parking part. The ground vehicle part is more complex, probably related if we'll release a new GSX-based product to serve AI, in that case there will be no need to create ground static vehicles anymore, since all the detail wil be added by that product instead.

boilerbill

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »
My question was how much improvement the upgrade would involve (i.e. KLAX/KDFW standards), not whether it would be upgraded. There is a difference.
Stu

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »
In regards to the relationship with GSX, which was the subject of this thread, my previous reply already covered everything needed.

If with "KLAX/KDFW standards", you also mean the look of the scenery too, that would mean a massive redesign, and we already made one for KORD quite recently, to add the new runways.