Author Topic: addonmanagerX2901 doesn't work properly  (Read 5707 times)

kozmicelly

addonmanagerX2901 doesn't work properly
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
Hi,

Prompted by the live update function, I downloaded the latest version of addonmanager 2901.
Then I encountered the wellknown usual issue, disappearing the buildings.
So I uninstalled the 2901 and reinstalled GSX (the very first version, I think--DLed on Feb.1 just after I got the e-mail--Japan standard time), while installing I got an error message saying "can't download AFD files" but somehow the installation completed, which solved the building issue but the XPOI setting menu disappeared from the couatl-powered products menu.

I'm wondering that the addonmanager2901 might have some kind of bug(s).

Kozmic (04:55 am JST)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: addonmanagerX2901 doesn't work properly
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »
I'm wondering that the addonmanager2901 might have some kind of bug(s).

The Addon Manager doesn't have any bugs, if it's not running in your system, it's because your Windows installation is missing some needed system libraries, or they are installed, but corrupted. Most likely, they are the MS Visual C++ libraries, which the Stand-Alone Manager installs anyway (using the official MS installer), but if they are corrupted, it can't fix them.

The GSX installer contains a *slightly* different version of the Addon Manager that requires a *slightly* different version of the MS VC++ libraries, which apparently work on your system.

For some users it's the opposite, the version that comes with GSX doesn't work, but the one in the Addon Manager installer does, because they have a different problem in *their* system.

The download messages are not really a problem, the issue is that the main download server has been overloaded with too many access due to the GSX release, so the installer got its files from a mirror site. The message is harmless, is saying that the main server couldn't be reached, but it was completed on the mirror.

the XPOI setting menu disappeared from the couatl-powered products menu

If you made a complete uninstall of the Addon Manager, that's to be expected (the uninstaller also warns about this), if you reinstall XPOI and then GSX again, everything should work.

kozmicelly

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »
Thank you for your quick (really quick) reply.
OK I understand what you said and that means I can't use 2901.
Does that also mean I will never be able to use the coming update(s) of addonmanager?
As for XPOI I'll try later.

And another question:
I found the Airplane_Boarding. wav. and the file sounds quite lively but where it's played?
I expected after requesting boarding I could hear that file, but I couldn't.

Thank you again

Kozmic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »
I found the Airplane_Boarding. wav. and the file sounds quite lively but where it's played? I expected after requesting boarding I could hear that file, but I couldn't.

Some sounds can only be heard inside the cockpit, Boarding is one of them.

kozmicelly

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:05 am »
No need to reply to this, just wanted to inform you a good news.
The latest build of 2901 worked perfectly. :D

Thank you so much, Virtuali.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:52:50 am by kozmicelly »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:06:29 am »
No need to reply to this, just wanted to inform you a good news.The latest build of 2901 worked perfectly.

Which just confirms the problem was corrupted VC++ libraries on your system, since the only difference is the latest build of the *installer* (the Addon Manager hasn't been changed at all), just downloads the same version of the Addon Manager .dll that was downloaded by the GSX installer, and both haven't changed, the only difference between them, is they are linked against a different minor version of the libraries, so one of the two versions works on your system, the other doesn't.

The Addon Manager and the GSX installer used to download two different versions, because some users had the opposite situation, the *other* version was corrupted, so the premise was that trying both, at least one of the installer should have worked.

So, in your case, it was the GSX installer that should have worked right from the start, since it downloaded and installed the same .dll that is now downloaded be the Addon Manager installer too, and that hasn't changed after release.

Which means, your process of downloading VC++ libraries must have fixed something, at least in *one* of the libraries, which was what your problem was from the start.

kozmicelly

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:38 pm »
Fully understood.
I said this a long time ago but I'd like to say it again : Your explanation is always logical and clear,  making everyone, at least me, nod gratefully. :D

Thank you again.