Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 892118 times)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1185 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:45 am »
And never accept a low ball.

And never correct a high ball IC/AR  :)
Pops

pyroperson87

« Reply #1186 on: January 08, 2015, 04:55:47 am »
Fellas, in case you wondering what a near perfect pass looks like when it's ruined by TacPack saying that you crashed....

Pops

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #1187 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:05 pm »
Fellas, in case you wondering what a near perfect pass looks like when it's ruined by TacPack saying that you crashed....

I think the approach looks quite nice.

Very nice infact.

But, I must tell you.....

First...I don't see you hover before landing.....
and,
Second, you used too much up collective after touch down.

It's not nice to do such a large vertical climb on a runway...

- retired virtual helicopter pilot
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:47:53 pm by Mickey_Techy »

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #1188 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »
Guys,

Another vLSO beta is out.

Ha,

"Shit Hot Break" :)

Goonie and Crusty are going to be VERY happy.

Orion

« Reply #1189 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:17 pm »
Oh, I just had an idea: Serge, could you possibly use SimConnect_RequestReservedKey to set up a keyboard command for manual ball call?  That way people don't have to assign the water rudder to anything.

Did you miss that last message Serge, or are you waiting to evaluate and potentially implement it before responding?  I think using a reserved key for manual ball call would be better because it would provide a consistent key mapping, making it more clear what you need to do when manual ball call is on (and hopefully so people don't unexpectedly get wave off patterns for missed manual ball calls).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:24:06 pm by Orion »

Fryman

« Reply #1190 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:08 pm »
I have installed vLSO 0.8.2.2 beta and before doing this I copied my log file to desktop. When I moved it back into the VLSO folder it will not show any of the data and landing records in the file. When I look into the log file I can see all of the data. HAs anyone else experienced this problem. What do you suggest to fix this problem. I do not want to loose this data.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1191 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:58 pm »
Orion,
I see the point and advantages of your proposal. Indeed, it will take some time to switch over to this new technique...

A text reminder 'YOU ARE IN MANUAL BALL MODE!' would be nice, too.  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

pyroperson87

« Reply #1192 on: January 08, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
I have installed vLSO 0.8.2.2 beta and before doing this I copied my log file to desktop. When I moved it back into the VLSO folder it will not show any of the data and landing records in the file. When I look into the log file I can see all of the data. HAs anyone else experienced this problem. What do you suggest to fix this problem. I do not want to loose this data.

I have the same problem here. Tried exporting from my old vLSO into all the different formats, none would import. Also tried manually copying, no luck there either.

The simple solution I found....start over and redo your FCLP and Initial CQ. It sucks that I lost 100+ passes at the boat, but starting fresh was really enjoyable.
Pops

GOONIE

« Reply #1193 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »
Looking forward to trying out the latest vLSO!

For folks wanting to get more gouge from a former Naval Aviator and T-45 IP, I read this short/focused ebook on The Carrier Landing Pattern from Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Landing-Pattern-Naval-Aviators-ebook/dp/B00QUKYBJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420821688&sr=8-1&keywords=the+carrier+landing+pattern

Worth the read, definitely some good gouge in there on becoming a better ball flier around the boat. Breaks down each section of the pattern and what to do to make it better. I haven't gotten a straight OK from vLSO is so long, I am going to try some better techniques.

Regarding the numbers off the 180, can anyone recall what altitude you need to be at the 90, the 45, and the start when using Javier's 4.12 glideslope? I know for the 3.5 glideslope, at the 90 your supposed to be 450ft. I need this info to better calibrate my VSI during the approach turn. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else on the forum.

GOONIE

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #1194 on: January 09, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »

Regarding the numbers off the 180, can anyone recall what altitude you need to be at the 90, the 45, and the start when using Javier's 4.12 glideslope? I know for the 3.5 glideslope, at the 90 your supposed to be 450ft. I need this info to better calibrate my VSI during the approach turn.

550 at the 90 and 470 at the 45.

These numbers will work only if TCN readout at 90 is 1.3 (or 1.2) and at the 45 is 0.9 nm.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #1195 on: January 09, 2015, 08:03:42 pm »
Paddles,

I have begun to hear a new voice call of "NICE" while turning through 90. Am sure I NEVER heard that in any of the previous versions.
I think that is an amazing touch. It's really assuring to hear that call just when things are going to get pretty busy in the pit.

pyroperson87

« Reply #1196 on: January 09, 2015, 08:06:28 pm »
Goonie, here are a few more benchmarks for you:

For a 4.12 glideslope the numbers would be:
1 nm   = 440'
3/4 nm = 360'
1/2 nm = 220'

Paddles posted them back on page 45 of this thread.
Pops

pyroperson87

« Reply #1197 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:34 pm »
Paddles,

I have begun to hear a new voice call of "NICE" while turning through 90. Am sure I NEVER heard that in any of the previous versions.

From the freshly implemented SHB perhaps?
Pops

GOONIE

« Reply #1198 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
Thanks for the numbers, 550ft at the 90 is rough, since you only have to lose 50ft in the 90 degrees of turn from the 180, then another 190ft to the start (360ft at 3/4NM). Will try these out.

I agree, the "nice" call must be part of the SHB. I also talked with Paddles about adding a "keep your turn in" call at the 90 based on your position to the start, but I don't think that is part of this version.

GOONIE

« Reply #1199 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:07 pm »
On a separate note, how many of you guys would want to submit your vLSO export/log to go on a public Greenie Board for fun competition?

I have an opportunity to have a Greenie Board put together (see attached pic as an example), but want to gauge the interest level. will start a separate thread to +1.