Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 891955 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1215 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:30 pm »
A4G 889 went over the front from a 'cold cat shot' - cause never determined/replicated. Pilot had trouble using the upper handle and managed to only jettison the canopy. It is thought that if he had have ejected whilst the aircraft was falling forward and down that he would not have survived. Luckily he stayed with the aircraft as it sank, scrapping down the side sinking, missing the propellors on the way. Once they had passed the pilot unstrapped (he was able to breathe emergency oxygen meanwhile) to then inflate his mae west, to hurtle to the surface from about 60 feet it is calculated. The SAR rescue diver in the PEDRO helo said he rocketed out of the water. You see him being picked up, then temporarily put in the stretcher as SOP; but he complains (because he is uninjured otherwise) to be able to stand up and get rid of his survival gear. You see the same pilot at the beginning of the video closing the canopy (on a different A4G). His name: Barry Evans, date is 08 Nov 1973 in the South China Sea.

Not sure of the exact date of the A4G 871 tip over during arrest but around that time. The RAN did not have a PLAT system so film/still photos were taken of deck ops at all times by several cameramen. The film was usually not developed unless there was a noteworthy incident. So many films were edited to make the one seen. The date of that incident was possibly just before (or after) but during a VF-805 work up, in difficult rolling swell in Jervis Bay, a few miles east of NAS Nowra - the only RAN FAA airfield. Here is another pilot talking about it:

“I was doing D/Ls that day too, and the ship was running up and down in Jervis Bay side on to the swell. On one of my traps, the ship rolled quite a bit and I slid about four feet to the left after arrest. I thought I was going over the side at the time, but the wire held just as the ship rolled back the other way. Shortly afterwards >>>>>>>> had a similar problem, but his wingtip hit the deck and stayed there.”

The aircraft was righted by deck crew with the engine still running so that you see the aircraft taxi away out of the landing area and I'll guess shut down in Fly One to see if there was any damage. There was none - only paint scrapes I'm told.

Another story only read by me long afterwards in this RAN FAA Safety Magazine TOUCHDOWN. Story written by an Aircraft Handler - possibly the 'hook man/deck runner/hook runner' who helps the aircraft disengage from the arrestor wire if required: [there are other good stories therein]

"...As the aircraft quickly decelerated to a halt, our marshaller cleared our ingress and we sprinted across the deck in the darkness. It was an uphill struggle, as the carrier was slowly rolling with a long swell running and as we arrived at the aircraft it began to teeter on the main gear before tipping over onto its starboard wing. With the brakes on hard, the arrester wire still engaged and the engine still producing thrust; to our bemusement, the canopy suddenly popped open and with his best Monty Python ‘run away’ impersonation, the pilot jumped down and ran, putting in some big steps into the darkness and the safety of the island superstructure. This left us with a dilemma. It was dark, the aircraft was still hooked up to a wire, the engine was running with the hungry starboard intake now closer to the ground, the ship was rolling, it was noisy and it was unclear if the ejection seat had been made safe. Other deck crew were now also rushing towards the aircraft. Once the crash rescue crew had ensured the security of the ejection seat and shut the engine down the pilot sheepishly reappeared, offering us a hand. The aircraft, looking like it was tired after a hard day’s work as if it were leaning over on one elbow, was soon righted and parked. All in a night’s work!...

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Touchdown_July_2010.pdf (0.8Mb)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:41:57 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Victory103

« Reply #1216 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:21 am »
Thanks for the update. Our USN SOP is the same with ejections, generally try to put the pilot in a litter (stretcher) prior to hoisting. Heck of sea storie, sinking with the a/c as the boat runs over you! I thought the same on the tip, looked like they just rolled her back on the mains and he taxied out of the LA, tough little Scooter (or insert RAN nickname)!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1217 on: January 14, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
I should have been more clear. In the video we see the pilot being helped out of the SAR (Pedro) Helo (Wessex 31B) on the deck of HMAS Melbourne. He is then put on a metal / wire stretcher and carried for a bit but then he objects and is allowed to get back on his feet, when he strips off his survival gear. At the time the RAN did not have stretchers for helo water rescue, but a SAR Diver was carried, who could help the pilot get into the strop/horse collar. Later the A4G survival gear changed so that the inflated collar was the main support; whereas at this time it was secondary with water wings under the arms being the main flotation support (a much better system commented upon by those who have used both). When the flotation collar became the main support it got in the way of getting into the sling; so that is why the rescue basket was probably used (but I do not think it was ever in the RAN - not in my time anyway). Perhaps there was a metal 'stretcher' instead? I don't know about that.

GOONIE

« Reply #1218 on: January 15, 2015, 07:12:06 pm »
OK, I tried to do some math which is always dangerous  ;D

Here is my thoughts on the approach turn altitudes based on the 4.12 degree glideslope we see in FSX and working backwards from the more common 3.5 the Navy uses to find the correct altitudes for the 90 and start (am I missing the 45?).

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1219 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the figures 'Goonie'. A slightly OFF TOPIC question for your maths skills (I Have NONE - believe me). As a guide the F-35B will carry out an SRVL (Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landing) to a CVF starting from level MODE 4 (STOVL) flight mode at 200 feet ASL (perhaps deck height not figured in? This I do not know - anyway that is all that is quoted) on a 6 degree glideslope (at about 50-60 KIAS which is not relevant to my question).

Question: What is the level and/or slant distance from the touchdown point on deck (150 feet in from stern by all accounts) to the start point as indicated please?

I suppose it is useful to assume the deck height is always included so the start point is 200 feet always ABOVE the deck height. OK? Thanks.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:26:16 am by SpazSinbad »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1220 on: January 16, 2015, 04:15:40 am »
I suppose it is useful to assume the deck height is always included so the start point is 200 feet always ABOVE the deck height. OK? Thanks.  ;D
Here's my [insider] deck data for yor reference:

Height  Angle     Ship
----------------------------------------------------------------------
65.37'  8.496   CVN68 Nimitz (Javier's)      
64.35'  9.193   CVN68 Nimitz (Acceleration)   
65.77' 12.200   CVN65 Enterprise (team SDB)   
65.30'  8.000   R09 Ark Royal IV                
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
61.29'  11.000   CV63 Kitty Hawk (Aerosoft)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1221 on: January 16, 2015, 04:31:20 am »
Paddles thanks for the deck height info. In your stats does 'angle' refer to the angle deck angle? I did not know ENTERPRISE had such a large angled deck. Must have been a chore to stay lined up on it. OUR A4G pilots from VF-805 cross decked with ENTERPRISE back in the dreamtime off Queensland coast during an exercise. They said it was like landing on a runway!  ::) But I bet they had to work on their lineup when MELBOURNE had only a 5.5 degree angled deck.  ;D

Nice story about fighting the burble on ENTERPRISE here (so that would be another new thing for our intrepid A4G pilots because our burble was minimal):

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012-11-04/news/dp-nws-enterprise-day3-1104-20121104_1_flight-deck-uss-enterprise-aircraft-carrier
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:35:10 am by SpazSinbad »

GOONIE

« Reply #1222 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:37 pm »
Paddles,

With the new vLSO 0.8.2.3, I keep getting CASE III calls, but it is a clear CASE I day flight  ???

This is impacting my ability to try out the SHB  ;)

Any ideas?
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Jorik

« Reply #1223 on: January 17, 2015, 01:58:20 am »
Same problem with the Case III, I'm using active sky next. Another problem that I noticed. I get TCA to close abeam all the time using the VRS Fa18 and tacpack javier Nimitz. Even when I'm next to the carrier with tacan reading 1.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best Regards,
Michiels Jorik

I7-920 4Ghz on Air, 12GB DDR3, ATI HD5970 at 1.1Ghz,
80Gb SSD (FSX only), Vrinsight CDUII, CH Rudder Yoke and Throttle
ActiveSky Evo,

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1224 on: January 17, 2015, 10:44:39 am »
IS not the Internet Grand?! Go here to get the values of a right angled triangle when two inputs are known (in my case 6 degree glideslope and 200 feet vertical height):

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1225 on: January 17, 2015, 05:30:54 pm »
Orion,
back to your recent proposal:
... could you possibly use SimConnect_RequestReservedKey to set up a keyboard command for manual ball call?  That way people don't have to assign the water rudder to anything.

Is there a way to map a Tab+key keyboard combination to a joystick button? It's no problem to make appropriate changes to the program, but that would limit people to use Tab keyboard combinations only, which is no good (just imagine a virtual pilot at the most crucial moment trying to reach his keyboard and stretching fingers to press Tab+q for manual ball). Much more convenient would be to use a HOTAS stick with those manual ball keyboard commands mapped to its buttons.

I can recall in my IL2/PF days I used to use various Saitek X45 mappers, but none of them allowed Tab+key combos, only Shift, Alt and Ctrl... What about modern times?..

texxasal

• CVW-2.ORG
« Reply #1226 on: January 17, 2015, 06:36:27 pm »
Orion,
back to your recent proposal:
... could you possibly use SimConnect_RequestReservedKey to set up a keyboard command for manual ball call?  That way people don't have to assign the water rudder to anything.

I believe the "Registered" version of FSUIPC, by Pete Dowson provides such a capability.

Several people have effectively programmed every key command of the VRS Superbug to support their cockpit builds.

Al

Is there a way to map a Tab+key keyboard combination to a joystick button? It's no problem to make appropriate changes to the program, but that would limit people to use Tab keyboard combinations only, which is no good (just imagine a virtual pilot at the most crucial moment trying to reach his keyboard and stretching fingers to press Tab+q for manual ball). Much more convenient would be to use a HOTAS stick with those manual ball keyboard commands mapped to its buttons.

I can recall in my IL2/PF days I used to use various Saitek X45 mappers, but none of them allowed Tab+key combos, only Shift, Alt and Ctrl... What about modern times?..

Orion

« Reply #1227 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:51 pm »
You could use SimConnect_MapInputEventToClientEvent with a pszInputDefinition argument of joystick:n:button:i, where n is the joystick number (starting from 0) and i is the button's index number.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1228 on: January 18, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »
Oh yes, I somehow forgot there's such a function. Being focused on one thing I sometimes don't see other  ;)
Ok, now I have another problem to solve - dealing with sticks and buttons...  ;D

abh_jc_03

« Reply #1229 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:01 pm »
I have the most recent Beta Release and I am having some possible technical issues.  I get the Case recovery text and voice but when I fly the pattern I don't get the abeam or call outs for miles like 3 miles, 2 miles etc.  The only time I get it to call out is if I am coming around on my downwind and close the current vLSO and start a new one.  Any thoughts?