Author Topic: Question on Default Runway Use with Calm Winds  (Read 4922 times)

regis902

Question on Default Runway Use with Calm Winds
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:27:08 pm »
Hello, I am thoroughly enjoying this scenery.  I have one question that I've seen asked but can't seem to find an answer to.

My understanding of LAX in real life is that the preferred runway operation is in the west direction.  However, when winds are calm at the FSDT KLAX, it defaults to an eastbound operation.

Is there anything that can be changed in the AFCAD files to have the default be the westbound operation?  Not sure if this is an FSX limitation or if there's a work around...

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Question on Default Runway Use with Calm Winds
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:42:44 pm »
That's how FSX works, there's not much we can do without messing the whole airport, see this thread here asking the same thing for KLAX (unrelated to FSDT KLAX) at fsdeveloper.com

http://www.it.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16034

The most relevant post is #6 from Jvile, if we closed 6/7 for takeoff, we'd lose the ability to choose 24/25 for landing.

regis902

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »
Thanks Umberto.  I wasn't thinking so much about closing the 6/7 runways, but more how to get FSX to default to the 24/25 runways when wind is not a factor...I think I need to do some more digging to educate myself on how FSX chooses default runways outside of wind direction...not an issue particular to this scenery though as you point out.

Thanks again for the quick response.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
I wasn't thinking so much about closing the 6/7 runways, but more how to get FSX to default to the 24/25 runways when wind is not a factor...

Closing the 6/7 runways would be the only way to ensure FSX would "default" to 24/25s in absence of wind, with the aforementioned problems.