Author Topic: AoA Glideslope?  (Read 4952 times)

Herbie

AoA Glideslope?
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:52:49 am »
Have a few question: 1 Doing approach to the Carrier, the AoA Indexer disappears. See Screenshot #3 also I have the Ball, but got wave-off. I know, I'm low at fuel.
Do you fly with Ralt or Baro? my window R in the HUD is empty

2 Is there away to turn on the Deck runway-lights without going to a night setting? It is hard to see the carrier-deck from a distance. 3 Would like to have the 2D Hud a little bigger. Herb
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:55:54 am by Herbie »

GOONIE

Re: AoA Glideslope?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:19:39 am »
Herbie,

The AoA Indicator lights should disappear (light goes out) with gear up, or flash with hook up (hook bypass carrier). The AoA is showing correctly in your picture, did you mean the meatball disappeared on the IFLOLS gauge, it looks like you are too high in the first picture and the meatball is not showing on the IFLOLS, and would result in a wave off. Looks like the carrier is flashing a wave off due to being too high with respect to glideslope.

I always fly with rad alt around the carrier as per NATOPS. Think baro would give similar altitude over the ocean. The altitude window is not blank, just flashing when below rad alt setting, and when you took the pic it was flashing off.

Not sure about the carrier lights, you could try dawn or twilight to get the lights.

-Capt
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:28:00 am by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Herbie

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:22 am »
Thank you Capt. What I did mean that Alpha 8.1 nose high angle is disappearing doing approaches, it's read from 3, 5, 6 on and off when I fly. I need more Sticktime  ??? Herb

wilycoyote4

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »
......Doing approach to the Carrier, the AoA Indexer disappears.......

Pardon me, but I think this refers to the "E" bracket AoA in the HUD going lower in the HUD dropping too low to be seen.  This is in the VC HUD.

And the alpha reading of degrees vanishes.

I make this comment in the hope it will help clarify.  I may be wrong.

I'll have to check the 2D HUD when I have time.

GOONIE

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:19:52 pm »
Wily is correct, when the Flight Path Vector is aligned with the E bracket (AoA indicator), you are within the correct AoA and the actual value will not be shown on the HUD (it dissappears as designed), once you are outside the bracket (FPV not aligned with the E) the AoA (in degrees) is shown again.

Hope that helps.
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Herbie

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 09:35:19 pm »
Thank you Willy and Capt. This it's what puzzled me. Herb