Author Topic: Interesting tid bits about Naval Aviation  (Read 4701 times)

nicka117

Interesting tid bits about Naval Aviation
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »
Don't know if this is exactly appropriate for this board but thought it would be fun anyway.

On the one hand, the regs and practices of Navair are very strict and specific for safety reasons. On the other hand, especially in the Vietnam era, some crazy things were done....and I love the stories.

Yankee Station

One F-8 pilot, when going feet wet, would light up a cigarette on the way back to the boat.

One skipper of an A-4 squadron would spot the deck regularly but always snag a 2 wire, so the LSO's would let him get away with it. He did not tolerate Bolters from his nuggets even if they did it right with an on-power pass. If one of his nuggets followed his example and cleared the ramp, and cut power, the LSO's would pull him aside and give him a lecture: "Your skipper has been getting away with that for a long time, but if you try that, you will bust your @ss."

Russian spy boats would regularly move in front of carriers on Yankee Station to make them turn during flight ops. One frustrated A-3 pilot was waved off close in because of it, so as the carrier turned, he stayed 100 feet off the water and dumped a bunch of jet fuel on top of the Russian "trawler" as he went over. He was called the Red Barron because he had a big red handlebar moustache and would roll the A-3 regularly as he flew by the carrier. After the fuel dump, he was the hero of the air wing.

Anyone want to add?

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: Interesting tid bits about Naval Aviation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »
Early on in the A4G Skyhawk era in the RAN FAA an old Sea Venom pilot (a time when LSOs were not used onboard HMAS Melbourne) made an approach to a successful arrest in his A4G. Immediately afterward the LSO realised that the mirror had not been uncovered during the approach. The Mirror Control Officer helper had not drawn back the metal shutter protecting it when not in use.

The old/bold pilot had called the ball (not being able to see it).  ;D He likely had issues with his vision because he also wore glasses in flight; but not on deck/onboard to anyone's knowledge. Anyway the LSO jumped up and down during the debrief but being heavily outranked it was all a bit futile. This story was related by the chagrined MCO later.

ADDED: Mirro metal concertina shutter is open in this photo (dragged across to left to cover/protect mirror when not in use). Location now Fleet Air Arm Museum at NAS Nowra, NSW, Australia
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:23:28 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

EfrenZdenek

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47:56 am »
Don't know if this is exactly appropriate for this board but thought it would be fun anyway.

On the one hand, the regs and practices of Navair are very strict and specific for safety reasons. On the other hand, especially in the Vietnam era, some crazy things were done....and I love the stories.

Yankee Station

One F-8 pilot, when going feet wet, would light up
electronic cigarettes on the way back to the boat.

One skipper of an A-4 squadron would spot the deck regularly but always snag a 2 wire, so the LSO's would let him get away with it. He did not tolerate Bolters from his nuggets even if they did it right with an on-power pass. If one of his nuggets followed his example and cleared the ramp, and cut power, the LSO's would pull him aside and give him a lecture: "Your skipper has been getting away with that for a long time, but if you try that, you will bust your @ss."

Russian spy boats would regularly move in front of carriers on Yankee Station to make them turn during flight ops. One frustrated A-3 pilot was waved off close in because of it, so as the carrier turned, he stayed 100 feet off the water and dumped a bunch of jet fuel on top of the Russian "trawler" as he went over. He was called the Red Barron because he had a big red handlebar moustache and would roll the A-3 regularly as he flew by the carrier. After the fuel dump, he was the hero of the air wing.

Anyone want to add?

I was really not aware about this..Thanks for sharing it out.. If I found something new I will surely add it..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:56:00 pm by EfrenZdenek »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:18:01 am »
During a take-off in an F-86 (I think. might be an F-8, but I'm pretty sure he said '86...) a certain Navy Pilot, who shall remain nameless (wound up as the CO of Survival Training at Pensacola for his final tour, back in late 70's. A close friend of my father and the former POW Capt. Kosky...) had a flame-out shortly after lift off. He pulled the face curtain, but due to the very short delay of ejection seats, the plane had nosed over and was a fraction of a second from impact. He said he skipped across the rice paddy he was about to impact like a stone on a pond, until the chute opened, and he stopped. He just stood up and waited for the SAR bird to arrive, still holding the face curtain. H had it on a plaque on his desk at home, when I went to his house, along with the end or the tail-hook from his last ever trap on a carrier.
This same pilot also nearly shot himself down during a mission over Korea. He had been cruising for ground targets but had found nothing, and was getting frustrated. On the way back to the field, he saw a junk on a river. Thinking to take his frustration out on the poor thing, so he nosed the bird over, popped the speed brakes, and chopped the throttles. When he was in perfect firing position he fired off ALL his Zuni rockets at once. For whatever reason, not a single fin on any of them opened, with the result that there were rockets going in every direction, none, naturally, towords thee junk. He said he nearly bent the stick he was moving it so fast in so many directions in such a short period of time trying to avoid his own rockets!
Just two of the stories I collected...
Pat☺