Author Topic: VFA-143 Carrier Landing  (Read 10402 times)

Scuddy-25

VFA-143 Carrier Landing
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
Hey guys :)

Check out my Vid and let me know if I need to improve on anything :) Thanks

"Scuddy"

GOONIE

Re: VFA-143 Carrier Landing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »
Very nice CASE II recovery Scuddy! I also like the squadron your flying, VFA-143 pukin dogs  ;)

Question, your AoA bracket is flashing during the entire approach, which means your hook is not down (assume hook bypass switch is in carrier mode/operation), do you know why this happened?

-Capt

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Scuddy-25

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
Hey -Capt :)

Thanks for your kind words my friend. thanks for telling me I have learnt something new.
All I know is what I have been taught by Razgriz (Fantastic Trainer/Pilot) A Long time ago that was though.
Is there anything else you recommend as I Cant find anyone to train with :(

"Scuddy"

GOONIE

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:47 pm »
Raz is a great flight sim instructor, and it looks like you got the straight in approach down, on speed on glideslope on centerline. how are your case I approach patterns? Sludge has posted some really good instructional videos for this type of approach, which is really fun and challenging to fly well. do you use a track IR, that will help with flying this approach. Only other piece of advice is maybe to use the 2d HUD display included in the sludge hornet when flying the ball inside 3/4 mile, also known as the groove. Definitely a personal choice, but I find it allows me see the ball all the way to touchdown, the VC view always blocks the ball at the ramp.

Good luck!

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Scuddy-25

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:09 am »
Firstly I do not use track IR as I did not get on with it lol. What dose case 1 and 2 mean ??? 
2d HUD display included in the sludge hornet  how do I find ???

Thanks for the advice mate :)

"Scuddy"

nicka117

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »
Scuddy, I'm a newbie myself, but to the best of my knowledge, case I is the std daytime approach, which means you don't come out of the marshall stack and fly straight in to the back of the boat.

Typical Case I is roughly to fly by the right side of the carrier at about 800 feet and approx 350 kts. Break left at about 80 degrees, hard pull. The 3 g's on the aircraft pulls the speed down and you dirty up--flaps, gear, hook at the end of the turn. You are then flying downwind, on speed (135ish kts depending on weight?) at about 600 ft. You are about 1 mile abeam of the carrier. Just after you pass the fantail, you start turning left from what's called the 180 position. About 30 degrees angle of bank, on speed AOA, and begin slightly decending. When you complete your turn and roll wings level, you should be on centerline about 1 mile behind the boat. I guess the altitude is around 450ish. 3/4 mile, call the ball.

Now, that is fairly routine for real navy pilots, but for my ham fist and a sim, it's much harder in practice. Just trying to maintain the proper rate of decent, the proper rate of turn, and the proper speed is very difficult for me--I feel like I'm killing snakes in the cockpit. If I roll out and happen to be right in the groove, it's a miracle. Track IR helps because it's less of a surprise how bad it was when you roll out. By glancing left at the carrier, you can adjust bank, pull, and power to come out in the grrove. If you get really good with the hat switch to glance, that might work almost as well as Track IR.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:19:36 pm by nicka117 »

Scuddy-25

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »
Hey mate :)

Thanks I enjoyed reading that now to put it to the test :) I have all so got the videos of the FLEET BREAK by the fsx blue angels.
I think I read this correctly in one of the NATOPS manuals that:

1. 3 Mile = 1200
2. 2 Mile = 860
3. 1 mile = 460

Ball is called at 360

It helps alot and also have my wall plastered with Documents I can refer to lol :)
Do you put up a session or something ??? I am really interested in doing some training with you if you have the time mate :)

once again thanks for the awesome advice.

"Scuddy"

dogdad

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
Just a note regarding VFA 143, the Puking Dogs. 

On your You Tube  you show Navy 203 on Final Approach after a long sortie.

Sludge Hornet F/A-18C

The "Dogs" fly F/A 18E models and their aircraft are numbered from 100.  100 being the CAG jet.  I think they go up to 114 or 115.

nicka117

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:52:05 pm »
Hey mate :)

Thanks I enjoyed reading that now to put it to the test :) I have all so got the videos of the FLEET BREAK by the fsx blue angels.
I think I read this correctly in one of the NATOPS manuals that:

1. 3 Mile = 1200
2. 2 Mile = 860
3. 1 mile = 460

Ball is called at 360

It helps alot and also have my wall plastered with Documents I can refer to lol :)
Do you put up a session or something ??? I am really interested in doing some training with you if you have the time mate :)

once again thanks for the awesome advice.

"Scuddy"

hey Scuddy, I don't run any multiplayer sessions. I look forward to doing so when I get better at the basic skills. What will be completely AWESOME will be the vLSO mission that FSXNavypilot is putting together. You should check it out--the thread is "greenie board possibilities"

Also, you should try his FCLP missions. The first and easiest has these little floating rings you fly through which defines the perfect Case I pattern. Much harder than it first seems, ie, easy to fly through the rings, but very hard to do it without major corrections.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »
CAPT...

I think he drops it as 0:40, cause the indexer goes steady then.  But I really liked that solid glidepath flown.  I tell ya, its a real treat to watch better and better passes videoed on youtube.  You have some good vids and now Scuddy.  Nothing like seeing new pilots fly some solid approaches and get it on video.

Scuddy...

Great vid.  Proud to see you doin well.  This was the whole reason I started modding what has become the Sludge in the first place.  To get people emulating naval aviation in a more realistic manner.  Tired of the pitiful youtube videos and seeing people FLARE the landing and then dropping the Hornet down, and all the other sad stuff out there.  You are already wayy ahead of those in just the short time since you started.  Seriously.

The advice Nicka gave is correct about Case I.  The best way to practice is to get Orion's SFCarrier2 original mission, then install the SanDiego NATOPS carrier mission upgrade.  The reason I asked Orion to develop it that way, is that the carrier heading doesnt go right into the sunlight, and the wind (32-34 kts) is very close to being down the angle deck.  This way you can practice many passes with all participants using the same setup, that is close to real world.

Also, Ill have to correct you on the NATOPS "real world" vs. FSX 4.0 meatball differences.  I dont have the exact numbers, but since the meatball in FSX is set for 4.0, the numbers are higher for different points.  For example, at the 90, about 1.3 NM TCN, you'll be around 530... the easiest way to understand this is turn on your ICLS needles and fly the pattern with no intention to do a trap pass.  Now, when you start your 180 turn, pay attention to the TCN.  When you're at the 90 (TCN arrow is directly above velocity vector and points left), the glideslope needle should come up.  At this point, note if the needle is high/on-GS/low; TCN distance; and RADAR ALTITUDE.  Keep flying the pattern with the glideslope needle, and later the meatball, centered, and at each point (the 45 "crossing wake"; "ball call" at 0.7 TCN, 0.5 "in the middle", 0.3 "In close", 0.2 "at the ramp") pause FSX and take notations of RADAR HEIGHT and TCN distance.  When done, compare to real-world NATOPS.  You'll see that each point is higher because real-world flight ops commonly use a 3.5 meatball (LSO NATOPS) vs. 4.0 FSX.

To simplify... Fly the pattern a few times with the ICLS needles ON.  Dont worry about what altitudes to hit at first, mainly concentrate on keeping the G/S NEEDLE on, til you get to the ball call, then use the meatball to stay on glide.  Once you get used to the APPROXIMATE altitudes required, turn off the needles, and fly some patterns and passes using what you learned.  You'll get to the point where it becomes automatic and alot easier. And just like real world, if you nail the Start, it helps your pass immensely.

Later
Sludge

Scuddy-25

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:07 am »
Hey Sludge :)

Thanks for your advice really helps alot.
I will be doing many hours of practice and reading on this for sure. Its a bit complicated at first but I am sure I will get used to it LOL.
one question for you though . . . . Are you a involved with the NAVY at all ???? Its really amazing how you know all this :)

"Scuddy"

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:48 am »
Scuddy...

No problem.  When I get some time, we may have to meet up on the San Diego Carrier Mission, and do some passes.  I havent taken anybody on a tutorial in a while, so it would be fun getting back in the saddle and teaching again.

I'm not currently, I used to be... I went started the Navy SNA (student naval aviator) pipeline but washed out after instruments because of being a puker.  Then they put on the the GW as a division officer, til I got out in '03.  Did some time in the "chair force" with "earwax".  airforce awacs to the uninitiated.  So I still keep in the know, but not directly involved.  Actually, I get my best knowledge from prior/present Hornet drivers, and reading/practicing NATOPS straight outta the book.  Funny part is, I wasnt that knowledgeable when I first got into this (check my earliest posts in fall of '09), but have steadily learned more. Just taken what I've heard (pilots), read (F-18 NATOPS, LSO NATOPS), and seen (my USN days)... and applied it to FSX naval aviation.

Later
Sludge

Scuddy-25

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:10 pm »
yea that sounds fantastic mate. The only problem would be the time delay as I like in the UK but will stay up late into the morning anyway lol.
Getting a tutorial and knowledge from you would be just epic :D

Awesome always wondered what it would be like in the E-3 sentry. Well i will be patient and look forward to hearing from you for a training mission.

"Scuddy"

Herbie

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:01:02 am »
Hello!
I did set the Nimitz v2 into military mission/Carrier Mission Practice. I turned the Clock 2 hrs. back, to have a little daytime. :) I was not able to get the Sludge FA18_FX Charlie into the .FLT file as a working plane. At opening flightsim, I get error message: Sludge Can't be loaded. So I did what Sludge wrote in 2009, when on the Nimitz, change the default to his Sludge FA18 and save the file with a name. Next time I chose the saved flight in the mission. I would like to have the VFA-143 as my default. What do I have to change around? I don't like to mess it up now. Any help? Thank for 'Skippy Bing Trap-gauge'  Sludge, Capt and Neutrino's help.  Herb

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »
Herb,
Just open your Carrier Practice.FLT file with the notepad and find the [Sim.0] section. Then change the Sim parameter to Sim=Sludge Basic F/A-18A VFA-143 or Sim=Sludge FX F/A-18A VFA-143.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!