Author Topic: How to Edit Eyepoint In the Hornet?  (Read 5348 times)

Stretch32

How to Edit Eyepoint In the Hornet?
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:38 am »
Can somebody point me in the right direction for editing the default eyepoint in the Sludge Hornet? I have a TrackIR 5 and when I re-center it the view is both too high and too close to the HUD. Is there a way to back it up and lower it a little so it's more realistic to an actual eyepoint as seen in a Hornet? i know the values can be edited but which ones need to be changed and will this mess up anything related to Sludge's mods? Thanks,

Stretch

PS- If anybody has any good FSX TrackIR 5 profiles they'd like to share I'd really appreciate it. I can't seem to make one or find one that works well for me. 

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: How to Edit Eyepoint In the Hornet?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:01:26 am »
Hey Stretch,

Your default eyepoint can be edited through the aircraft's CFG which is located at Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Sim Objects/Airplanes/F18.  From there, open the aircraft.cfg file with notepad, scroll down and look for something similar to the following script:

[Views]
eyepoint = -17.0, 0.0, 3.5

Each group of numbers are coordinates in the longitudinal, lateral, and vertical axis of the aircraft.  With that being said, "-17" indicates the view is approx 17 ft behind a reference point on the jet, "0.0" means that the view is on the aircraft centerline, and "3.5" shows that the eyepoint is 3.5 ft above the middle plane of the jet.  So most likely you will be changing the first and third numbers to adjust your viewpoint.  After you change the values, you will need to save the file and reload the aircraft in the simulator by reselecting it from the aircraft selection menu.  Once you reenter the flight session, you should notice that your viewpoint has been changed.  Obviously, you will need to experiment a little to find out what works for you.  Hope this helps.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:41:32 am by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Stretch32

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:39:13 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try in the morning and see if I can't find something thats works a little better for me. Overall, Sludge's mod is excellent and the eyepoint thing is just a little nit-pick on my part so my TrackIR will work better for me. Thanks again,

Stretch

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »
Stretch...

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker.  I was down for a full day after losing power from the tornadoes splitting power poles IN HALF.  But finally got back into the thick of things last night and looked at this thread.

As far as the eyepoint... couldn't have said it better myself, as Jimi said, just modify the default viewpoint along those axis points to get your "starting point" (-17.0, 0.0, 3.5; from memory) and then go from there.  One thing you should know is that the HUD will remain CONFORMAL at the -17.0, 0.0, 3.5 value.  If you change the -17.0 to something such as -16.5, or -17.5, you'll need to change the HUD size to keep the pitch ladder/velocity vector conformal with the outside horizon.  Also, talk to Jimi about this, but you may need to change/limit one of your "degrees of motion" of forward/back to zoom forward/zoom back?  Or just disable it, so once you get the HUD conformal, you can keep it there.

I'd say Jimi is a good source of knowledge on those specifics, as he has TrackIR, whereas I don't.

Later
Sludge