Author Topic: F/A-18 Fuel tanks  (Read 21269 times)

chupaflier

F/A-18 Fuel tanks
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:55 am »
Reading tons of posts on forums on the internet made an old problem with the F-18 resurface; its limited range due to fuel restrictions. I have found some posts describing a procedure to add fuel to the bird by editing the famed fsx.cfg. Such procedures add fuel tanks but won't model them physically.
Check them here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=359.0

But, I have also found pictures out there taken of F-18's in FSX with external tanks under their wings... so there must be a way to have the tanks added to the physical model also! Does anyone know how to do add them? Is it a third party patch? Where to get it?

chupaflier

Re: F/A-18 Fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:06 am »
Correction
Wherever I wrote physical model I was actually referring to visual modeling. Sorry  ;D

WilliamCall

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:47:40 am »
I'm guessing that the visual models that you saw that had external tanks were not Acceleration F-18s.  Also, the method that I posted was accomplished by editing the aircraft.cfg file, not the fsx.cfg file.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:01:16 am »
you mean this one?

it's captainsim's Xload, captain sim are the guys who made the acceleration f/a-18 external model, they made this add on using the same model, just added loadout, 2 seat cockpit and some extra animations

chupaflier

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:56 am »
Hey guys .. thank you for your response  :P

chupaflier

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:38 am »
One last question: Those who don't have Xload installed and are sharing an online session with me wont see my Xload modeling, correct?

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:04:09 pm »
yep.. not sure wich plane they'll see tho, my fsx used to change other people's f-14 for the learjet 45, so i can't tell you if they'll see the acceleration f-18 or not

BlakTiger47

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:28:01 pm »
Yep mine did that too. I would get in close to check out the F-14 and then be disappointed to see a lear 45 flyin in its place. i wish there could be a way that you could view other's planes when online even if u dont have that plane.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

chupaflier

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:14:05 pm »
WilliamCall:
Have you notice a change in the weight of the plane with the added fuel? Following your instructions, I added a center external tank with an extra 400 lbs load and I ddidn't think I felt it at the yoke, I was hoping a change in handling but...nothing. Did you?

WilliamCall

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 12:41:39 am »
WilliamCall:
Have you notice a change in the weight of the plane with the added fuel? Following your instructions, I added a center external tank with an extra 400 lbs load and I ddidn't think I felt it at the yoke, I was hoping a change in handling but...nothing. Did you?

I didn't "feel" any increase in weight.  What I posted gets you the additional fuel.  To really do it right, you need to add in the mass and inertia of the tank and pylon, plus you need to adjust the aerodynamics to account for an additional external store.  If you are trying to verify that the additional fuel got added in, you can compare the total fuel on the DDI fuel page with a summation of the individual internal fuel tanks.  You can also get the aircraft total weight by pullingup the FPAS page on the DDI.

chupaflier

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:59 am »
No .. I wasn't .. they fuel does get added to the total amount, I was just wondering if it modeled the weight of it but just adding that center external tank.

SUBS17

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:16:30 pm »
Weight probably is added to a degree since I think the aircrafts total weight is on the FPAS page and that effects your landing weight.

chupaflier

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:32 pm »
I'll try to add wing external tanks as well as the center tank I added earlier and see what happens, I'll report here.  8)

SUBS17

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 12:53:26 am »
Test it by checking your AoA and try landing on the carrier.

tutmeister

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:05 pm »
Weight does affect CoG, check the image out: