Author Topic: Plane "crash" at over 910 knots  (Read 8063 times)

Smash

Plane "crash" at over 910 knots
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »
Hi,

I've noticed an annoying thing that i think it's not quite real and spoiled me some trips, everytime you reach over 910 knots speed, the plane "crash" in the air and you get respawned, is that normal?

I get the "too much pressure for the plane" tip, (is a translation I have the Spanish version: "Demasiada presion para el avion" )

[attachment deleted by admin]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Plane "crash" at over 910 knots
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
I'm not sure, but I don't think the F/A-18 can fly at 910 kts at 1600 ft, but I might be wrong...

If you want to go faster, climb, climb, climb...

Smash

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:10:34 pm »
I'm not sure, but I don't think the F/A-18 can fly at 910 kts at 1600 ft, but I might be wrong...

If you want to go faster, climb, climb, climb...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure F18 can't take 910 knots at sea level in real life (I think max. speed at sea level is unknown), but the thing is that It shouldn't "broke" and spoil your mission, only you shouldn't have to be able to go over that speed and thats all, like in other sims or real life (imagine going to the top speed of your plane , with no G's, and "break" it ).

That's the thing that i found annoying, if you put your full afterburners in level flight, and don't brake , in few seconds you will "crash your plane" (in realism settings set to max). Is there any way to deactivate or modify this in config archives?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:37 pm »
Is there any way to deactivate or modify this in config archives?

Of course there is. The crash setting that can be set to ignore structural damage.

Smash

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »
Is there any way to deactivate or modify this in config archives?

Of course there is. The crash setting that can be set to ignore structural damage.

Nice, I have disabled only this setting (all others at max), but now the F18 is an "UberPlane"  :D , 20 g's on turns and Mach 1,8 sea level, lol, but this I think it's due to MS flight Model, difficult to change.

Thanks

crim3

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
That's how it would behave with infinitely strong materials, and pilot.

As a curiosity, I once read that the F-16's IAS is limited by the engine, not the structure. It's so sleek that it can fly faster than what the engine is able to bear with.
I don't know if the same happens to the f-18, but it seems likely.

Here is the link:
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/1993/articles/apr_93/stretch/index.html

SUBS17

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:40:38 pm »
F-16s still limited though at high speed if you pull too much g it'll snap the tail off but at lower speeds it'll do 9g no problem.