Author Topic: Greenie Board Possibilities?  (Read 139743 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Greenie Board Possibilities?
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
ATTTENTION
Latest update!

The readme.chm removed from downloads.
Wrong wind direction and WOD computation are fixed.
Please reload these two ZIPs, unpack and replace the existing files/folders:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20611129/vLSO.zip
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20610975/vLSOmissions_zip

Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Jymp

« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »
Overlooking the obvious I'm sure, but how do you operate this ?, I installed both missions into the FSX Missions folder, started the vLSO program, had two green buttons in the vLSO program, tried both missions but didn't hear the vLSO.

GOONIE

« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »
Serge, thanks for the quick turn on the mission updates. I was wondering why my groundspeed seemed so fast on final and so slow on downwind. Also, can you explain what the difference is between the two missions, they seem the same? Also I noticed a 737 parked in the mission, is that for future air refueling purposes? Finally, would you be able to add an LSO, PLAT, and Air Boss camera view to the mission? Similar to the San Diego mission?

OK, enough requests, what I really wanted to say is the vLSO is a great addition, I really like the glideslope and lateral debrief windows. Also seeing the shorthand LSO grade is great, I was surprised how quickly you learn to decode the comments. Kudos to pushing virtual naval aviation, this is huge progress.

Jymp, I had similar issues at first. I started up the vLSO program, then FSX, then the mission, but after flying a circuit, I got no LSO or scoring. But after closing the vLSO, keeping FSX running, and then restarting the vLSO, it worked. Not sure that was the issue though. Also, it seems like their are triggers around the boat that start the program/vLSO scoring in FSX. Is this true Serge? For example if you turn in early (inside of .5 mile) in the groove, the vLSO would not work?

I also updated the mission file to load the VFA-143 hornet for mission 1, and the T-45C and T-45C carrier in mission 2. Let me know if anyone is interested in how to do this, pretty easy but wanted to share.

Will try out the new mission and vLSO tonight.
-CAPT
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:29:01 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »
CAPT,
The only difference between the two missions is carriers. Despite that these both are CVN68, they have slightly different runway geometry (height, angle etc.) So I intentionally made two missions to test the program with both carriers.

You're right - there are several triggers around the boat, so when flying within a standard carrier pattern one should first hear 'Clear downwind', then 'Paddles copy' at the abeam position, and finally, 'Call the ball' when rolling into the groove at exact 3/4 nm. Besides, the area triggering this call, is quite small, so if one doesn't hear that call he definitely missed that area.  :)

I have no idea why and where is that 737, maybe it's FSX traffic?

Adding different views is no problem, I'll do that when we have that vLSO working as per NATOPS  8)

As for the T-45 I'd say that it's pattern is significantly narrower than that of the Hornet, so in the future the vLSO should take this into account.

---------------------
Ok, I'm leaving... I hope I'll be able to read the forum and see how things go on.
Bye for now and happy landings!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:27:40 pm by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Ost

« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »
Awesome programm ! As I moves recently to a new country and don't yet have my computers, I'm not able to test this addon. It's not fair  :'(.

I'm joining the other guys to thank you.

Ost

GOONIE

« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »
Serge, Hope you are enjoying your vacation!

What do you think about adding a carrier layout profiles to the lateral and vertical debrief windows? I ginned up some mock pictures to show what I am talking about. Not sure if they could be scaled accurately, but they would add eye candy. The vertical profile pic would have to be reworked to not block the GUI buttons.

-CAPT

nicka117

« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2011, 07:34:23 pm »
FSXNP, thank you, this thing is awesome.

Glad we turned the wind around, I was 13 seconds in the groove and coming in hotter than a whore house on nickel night.

I "think" maybe the constraints on line up are not quite tight enough. I made some pretty crooked approaches and it didn't seem to comment on that often.

The glide slope parameters are very challenging and thus perfect.

I'll keep testing. Having a ball!

GOONIE

« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »
Agree with Nicka, tightening up the tolerances for lineup criteria/assessment would be good. 

Also, does time in groove currently affect your grade? Where is the abeam trigger/box, 1.2NM and 600ft?
-Capt

nicka117

« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »
You're right - there are several triggers around the boat, so when flying within a standard carrier pattern one should first hear 'Clear downwind', then 'Paddles copy' at the abeam position, and finally, 'Call the ball' when rolling into the groove at exact 3/4 nm. Besides, the area triggering this call, is quite small, so if one doesn't hear that call he definitely missed that area.  :)

It seemed like wherever I flew, as long as I went throught the 3/4 mile trigger, it would grade the pass. Which is great because that means it will work perfectly for the night approach, which brings me to a request for future development. Can we get some more trigger boxes for hearing those communications? i forgot what they were but farther behind the boat on a straight in approach. Don't they ask you to call your needles or something?

Then we could just enable changes, set night time, and fly case III.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2011, 12:02:03 am »
This is still, in fact, an early alpha test as I understand it so it is logical that the next alpha, or beta, will be better.

As it stands, in my humble opinion, it is amazing.  Ahem.....especially when I looked at the charts for glideslope and lineup for the first time, lol.

Perhaps I'll post a good screeny if I fly the approach better.  I really like it and grand thanks.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
3. I'm only able to make ONE PASS and the boat stops, does IN-PLACE turns, then STOPS. Was it meant for just one pass?
Sludge
On Javier's carrier I get one pass or trap and the boat stops.  Must be similiar to Sludge's note.

Johan

« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2011, 03:46:50 am »
Serge,

This is remarkable...especially at the alpha stage. Agree with Sludge and Wily about Javier's AC stopping after the first pass. However, it restarted after I reviewed my flight with FSRecorder playback. I will continue to enjoy this around the weekend and long after. Views from the AC would be welcome as for your previous work. The LSO calls are great.  Carrier layout profiles suggested by Capt would also be a great add.
Happy vacation, and thank you.

Johan

wilycoyote4

« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33:14 am »
vLSO 0.1a
This early alpha version has many functions not enabled which is understanable.  I'll mention one that makes me curious, at the moment, is in the main folder where a logbook is an MP2-video.
That's interesting but for the future apparently yet a video function makes me cuious.

One image shows a poor glideslope pass and trap while the other screeny shows that shift+2 gets a dark popup and the HUD is not working.  This is at the start of Javier's carrier mission.
Is it me?  By odds, yes, lol, but has anyone else seen this ?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:37:05 am by wilycoyote4 »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:46 am »
So far no trouble on the cat.  Sits on the cat at full AB nicely. This the Javier mission.

The other screeny shows what pops up when I lower the hook abeam the boat but I don't think that has anything to do with the LSO Missions.

My erratic flying -----it was deliberate-----has me hearing all the LSO comments, lol.  I like using headphones for these flights.  It's a treat to have an LSO.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:37 am »
Serge...

......looking at your chart, the OK optimum g/path is just above 400' at Ball Call.  I have my LOW ALT alarm set for 400' and sure enough thats right around the ball call.  So I get visual (flashing ALT) and audio cues (whup, whup) for switching to 2D, un-caging the HUD, and Ball Call.

Sludge

I get the same as far as I can see.