Author Topic: Greenie Board Possibilities?  (Read 139686 times)

GOONIE

Re: Greenie Board Possibilities?
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:50 pm »
SWEET! Really nice work Serge!

Check out the attached pic, this is what your display reminds me of, a time elapsed photo of a carrier landing, very telling.

-Capt

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »
Beautiful! Yes indeedy it's  a very telling picture! I wish I could master the fourth dimension this way...  ;D
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2011, 01:21:57 am »
fsxnp, easy... cue the music for 'Twilight Zone' (old TV show about these issues) and you will be OK.  ;D

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2011, 04:51:07 pm »
Serge...

How goes things, friend?  Havent heard from you in a while, so I'm assuming you're hard at work.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:22 pm »
Sludge, you're right. Quite busy at work these days...  :-X

nicka117

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
Wow, what an incredible project.

My dad has 300 carriers landings in A-3's and A-7's and to be able to simulate what he used to do in a "realistic" way would be awesome. To say I'm looking forward to this would be an gross understatement.

I would love to be considered as a beta tester for this vLSO mission when available.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Nick

davido53

« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2011, 05:36:21 am »
Is this still working?

I have it d/l to my desktop but when I double=click it, I get a message that....Integrator has stopped working.

nicka117

« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
Hi FSXNP,

Any status on this bad boy? Can't wait!

Nick

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2011, 04:17:31 am »
It's progressing, but rather slowly...  Just finished logbook management  :)

nicka117

« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:41 am »
Thanks for the update!

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2011, 07:33:18 am »
Serge...

Great info. pull about the approach speeds.  That sounds like the "missing puzzle piece" about why FSX Sludge (NATOPS correct as I can get) and those real-world Hornet Y/T vids dont match up.

How goes work on the vLSO project?  Probly busy, but no worries we can wait, my friend.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2011, 08:10:49 am »
Sludge, By now I would imagine that the Hornet/Super Hornet NATOPS have caught up with this aspect. It is important to not overstress the arrestor gear. For example LSOs warn NOT to engage burner for potential bolters when going to full power - but of course people hit it by mistake or go to burner because they may think they need it.

An earlier thread has this updated with F-18 info but repeated here: (I think earlier post has a very long 'google' URL)

EFFECT OF WIND OVER DECK CONDITIONS ON AIRCRAFT APPROACH SPEEDS FOR CARRIER LANDINGS 1 Sept 1991

[My old slightly different URL compared to 'fsxnp' above:]
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA239511

Just checking the URLs now to see that 'fsxnp' and this one are more or less the same. When 'fsxnp's first URL above was clicked it took me to this PDF:

short title: 'Study Carrier Landing Aids 1964' which has some good generic info in it:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=AD0432067

Must be in my internet browser cache history. Whatever. Anyway the point about info being updated remains. Would be good to know for sure though. Apologies about earlier confusion of 'google' URLs - now corrected in my own copies of PDFs etc....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:10:57 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2011, 08:22:19 am »
Yes, my vLSO work goes on...  :)
And here's my next question...
WOD. Do we need the vLSO to specify WOD direction? I mean when real LSOs say 'Roger ball', they also add something like '30 knots' and sometimes 'port' or whatever. This obviously means that there's WOD of 30 knits from the port side.
Currently the vLSO reports only headwind speed, like this: 'Roger ball, 32 knots'.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01:31 am »
SPAZ...

Thanks for the updated info on both documents.  I think the 1991 document pretty much says it all, in regards to Wind Over Deck affecting approach speeds.  While the 1964 document shows HOW we came about to having a FLOLS where it is and the setup of the lights on the FLOLS and the deck and why they are there. I'm guessing that Supers landing slower is a response to this real world "problem"? I know JJ has talked about Tomcats landing slow (130s) and I know the Supers can land slower with more ordnance and fuel, so maybe it was designed that way? Again, the reason I brought this up was REAL WORLD Y/T videos showing Hornets landing in the low 140s and our FSX Hornets (manual FULL flaps) landing in the mid-to-low 130s. Some disconnect was happening (FSX to real-world) and this bit of information (1991 document) clears that up.

Serge...

I would venture to say: "Roger Ball, 32 knots" would work fine, as we know where the wind is coming from.  Knowing this is FSX and how to set the wind up to be 9-10 degrees off BRC, this should work universally.  I would add to that, WoD should be 35-38 knots, given we are at a 4.0 glideslope and LSO NATOPS says: "A BA (basic angle) setting of 3.5 is most commonly used, with 4.0 used for higher wind-over-deck conditions (38+ knots)"  So "Roger Ball, 38 knots".  In actuality, I've only seen this used ONCE on Y/T videos but that was carrier landings at night with pitching deck.  I'm assuming its used with alot of HOOK-to-RAMP clearance requirements but since we are stuck with FSX 4.0 Meatballs, we have to go with that.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:12:34 am by Sludge »