Author Topic: Greenie Board Possibilities?  (Read 139684 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Greenie Board Possibilities?
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 07:19:40 am »
Spaz,
thanks for pointing to that really useful reading!

Capt,
Your idea is not that bad, why not to give it a try? Here are two sample views, which one do you (and other guys) like better?

FYI: the altitudes shown on the first one are above the deck level, not AGL/ASL. Are these useful? Do they make any sence? I'm personally not sure  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:21:26 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2011, 08:32:49 am »
fsxnp, I'm conflicted.  ;D Probably you do not want to clutter your glideslope readout with the graph of height ASL and distance (it can be faint as we see in first graphic). However what is there now is useful. I see the background height/distance graph as a way to show a specific deviation in feet if the pilot chooses. Otherwise only the coloured lines need to be followed. Though without the background graph (as in graph paper) it is difficult to fathom the height differential.

AFAIK the USN will use altitude settings which show height above sea level rather than 'height above deck'. Ashore pilots fly with QNH setting that will show 'height above mean sea level' where they are; even though the sea is nowhere to be seen. So for example at NAS Nowra the airfield was roughly 400 feet AMSL so our circuit height was 1,400 feet but 1,000 feet AGL (approx.). The Hornet Radar Altimeter might beep at certain heights at any given setting though.

The black background graph needs brighter or lighter colours IMHO. Perhaps a lighter colour for background (white?) will be OK?
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:18 am »
Serge...

I like the second version, but would like to see the expected heights that you have displayed in the first version.  So you end up with a grid that shows "optimum" glideslope points to evaluate after landing, without the cloud background.  But, I'd have to agree with Spaz on one point... as I'd rather have it measured in MSL/ASL instead of above deck, in feet.

Personally, the colors seem fine, but if you get a buncha people that like something else, say lighter colors.... go with the popular vote.  IF you do go with a different background color, I'd say go with grey or something subdued.  Something easier on the eyes than computer screen black text on white background.  Heck, even the light shade of blue-gray at the lower-most portion of the FSDT header on this page would work for me.

Later
Sludge  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:47:49 am by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
Okie dokie...  ;D
Blue-grey background, altitude ASL stepping 100'. Looks nice  8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:14:40 pm by fsxnavypilot »

GOONIE

« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »
Looks really nice, I like the light blue background, good tribute to FSDT  ;D.

Questions:

Is the display dynamic, meaning does it show your path over time in a replay fashion? Or is it just one static snapshot of your path conformance? Can't tell from the pic, but it looks like your path stopped IC.

What reference is used to draw the vertical path? Is it Center of Gravity point of airicraft, tailhook location, eyepoint of pilot?

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »
Ok, that snapshot was a fake, just to see wheter these colors match each other or not... Here are my two landing attempts (default CVN, no ILS), with Dino's new T-45C (red line, bolter) and with the Sludge (white line, waveoff). White color is better, I guess  ;D
Currently the display is static and I don't plan any animations, but this is a good idea, why not to add a 'play' button?..  :)
FSX reports aircraft's center position, which is shown on the pic. Looks like it's somewhere near CG, I don't know, really.. So, the path shows this particular point's trajectory.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:34:08 pm by fsxnavypilot »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »
Serge...

Great job, the last versions are exactly what I was hoping you'd show, and the 100' stepping is another winner.  Geez, IF you can get the "animation" idea going that rock the house.  Being able to play-back your pass would be the best, so you could see high/low glideslope and the over/under power corrections and what that does in relation to getting back on-GS.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »
Thanks Serge for the clarification, looks good.

One more question, does the debrief "vertical profile" display work with moving carriers?

This is a crazy request, but you know what would be awesome, is if the color of the line mirrored the AoA indication in the jet. That way you could see your altitude performance as well as your speed/AoA performance on one line, one graph. For example if you were on speed on glideslope, the line would be yellow all the way down. If you got slow or fast, it would turn green or red only during the time you were slow or fast on the approach. see attached pic for example.

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Johan

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »
Serge,

I have been following this thread with the greatest interest since I am an enthusiastic user of your FCLP missions. The work going down here is impressive. The image you provide is a vertical cross-section parallel to the carrier, to show the plane deviations from the glideslope. You were also previously showing (April 15, 2011) cross sections perpendicular to the carrier which would have shown the plane lineup deviations relative to the landing axis of the carrier. Did you abandon this concept?  I understand it is not as important as following the glideslope, just being curious, and to let you know how much your work is being appreciated out there.

Thanks,

Johan

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:08 pm »
fsxnp, your last graph with light grey background and 'white line fever' glideslope is very good.  ;D

Having an animated playback of the profile would be 'oughtta sight' for sure. Thanks for all your hard work and I agree about comments about your FCLP missions. If anyone can master FCLP Mission 5 they are well on the way....

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »
Thanks, guys.
Well, today's WIP update is the lineup deviations view added to the debrief window. You will be able to select either the glideslope or lineup view simply by clicking a pushbutton. Here's my usual wild boltered test approach, viewed both in vertical and horizontal planes.
What's next..

• The AoA indication... Perhaps I'll use Capt's idea?.. Dunno...
  • Animation. That would be awesome, for sure.

Capt, the vLSO works both with stationary and moving carriers, either the default or Javier's. And it will also work with FCLP missions (however I'll need to slightly modify them).

Johan

« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »
Serge,

Just amazing...Thanks a lot. Please count me as one of your beta testers when you release it.

Johan

SpazSinbad

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2011, 11:01:17 pm »
fsxnp, The graphs are excellent. Great work. If the AoA can be shown then it will be as if the LSO is saying 'fast' 'slow' stuff (but of course a bit more complicated in reality).

The next thing would be to show engine power / rpm to relate to the AoA - ONLY KIDDING!  ;D

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2011, 11:59:27 am »
Ok, Capt's idea works just perfectly! Here's a sample of my crazy (now colored) approach. The colors look nice, I'll use them for glideslope profiles, lineup profiles will stay white.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »
Marvellous. That will be really informative, great work.